Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

4 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

I agree I don’t want either trade for us. I am not a huge Lavine guy with his injury history. I was just giving you examples that you asked for and those are the latest that have been written about. 

CTMagicUK is spot on in his thinking we can’t have too many bodies. Thank you for the link also. We could have done the get out of jail last year when his contract was still fully guaranteed when it decreased that option is gone I suppose. 

My concern is having too many young players that need minutes to develop. Especially two lottery players. We don’t want the Olodipo, Fournier, Harris, Gordon, Payton and Vuch situation again. Especially anybody who takes minutes away from Paolo and Franz. I feel like we already have a lot of young not so great guards and Cole is about to get paid. 

I wouldn’t be against a trade up for Scoot like Soul has said though. 

Orlando Magic Primed To Make Blockbuster NBA Trade - June 4 - Ashish Mathur

Dan Favale of Bleacher Report predicted that the Magic, who haven’t made the playoffs since 2020, will swing an aggressive win-now trade. The team is loaded with young players and draft assets — including the 6th and 11th picks in the 2023 NBA Draft.

“The Orlando Magic remain ridiculously young,” Favale wrote. “Paolo Banchero (21) and Franz Wagner (22), their two most important players, will both be under the age of 22 when next season tips off. Jalen Suggs turns 22 in June. (Related: I hope you didn’t sell any Jalen Suggs stock.) Wendell Carter Jr. is only 24. Cole Anthony is 23. Markelle Fultz just celebrated his 25th birthday. Orlando will add two more lottery picks (No. 6 and No. 11) to this core.

There are benefits to the Magic being patient as opposed to making such a trade, but they may already be ready to take a significant step forward if they choose to do so. The team had rapidly improved on defense throughout last season.

“Slow-playing it is reasonable. So is speeding things up. This team is closer to arrival than the age and experience of its nucleus suggests. The Magic played over .500 basketball for more than half of the season, going 29-24 after starting the year 5-20 before closing out the schedule on a four-game losing streak. Their defense also ranked 11th in points allowed per possession. Infusing the rotation with a proven offensive organizer, scorer, floor-spacer, whatever will go a looong way.”

The Magic won 34 games this season. They have a talented young core headlined by Paolo Banchero, Markelle Fultz, Bol Bol, Franz Wagner, Cole Anthony, Wendell Carter Jr., Jalen Suggs and Jonathan Isaac.

If Orlando can acquire an All-Star this summer, the team could make some serious in the East next season. He mentioned Fred VanVleet, Damian Lillard, Chris Paul, and LaMelo Ball as potential options. They surely have the assets to land one of them.

“Cap space can help. Orlando is slated for over $22 million in spending power. That’s not enough to bid on everyone, and inflating this number will require tough calls. But the Magic do have the assets to scope out the trade—or sign-and-trade—market,” Favale wrote.

21 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Orlando Magic Primed To Make Blockbuster NBA Trade - June 4 - Ashish Mathur

Dan Favale of Bleacher Report predicted that the Magic, who haven’t made the playoffs since 2020, will swing an aggressive win-now trade. The team is loaded with young players and draft assets — including the 6th and 11th picks in the 2023 NBA Draft.

“The Orlando Magic remain ridiculously young,” Favale wrote. “Paolo Banchero (21) and Franz Wagner (22), their two most important players, will both be under the age of 22 when next season tips off. Jalen Suggs turns 22 in June. (Related: I hope you didn’t sell any Jalen Suggs stock.) Wendell Carter Jr. is only 24. Cole Anthony is 23. Markelle Fultz just celebrated his 25th birthday. Orlando will add two more lottery picks (No. 6 and No. 11) to this core.

There are benefits to the Magic being patient as opposed to making such a trade, but they may already be ready to take a significant step forward if they choose to do so. The team had rapidly improved on defense throughout last season.

“Slow-playing it is reasonable. So is speeding things up. This team is closer to arrival than the age and experience of its nucleus suggests. The Magic played over .500 basketball for more than half of the season, going 29-24 after starting the year 5-20 before closing out the schedule on a four-game losing streak. Their defense also ranked 11th in points allowed per possession. Infusing the rotation with a proven offensive organizer, scorer, floor-spacer, whatever will go a looong way.”

The Magic won 34 games this season. They have a talented young core headlined by Paolo Banchero, Markelle Fultz, Bol Bol, Franz Wagner, Cole Anthony, Wendell Carter Jr., Jalen Suggs and Jonathan Isaac.

If Orlando can acquire an All-Star this summer, the team could make some serious in the East next season. He mentioned Fred VanVleet, Damian Lillard, Chris Paul, and LaMelo Ball as potential options. They surely have the assets to land one of them.

“Cap space can help. Orlando is slated for over $22 million in spending power. That’s not enough to bid on everyone, and inflating this number will require tough calls. But the Magic do have the assets to scope out the trade—or sign-and-trade—market,” Favale wrote.

I would rather trade our picks and player(s) for a all star personally. 

• Upvote 1

I've seen some rumors about the Spurs wanting to acquire a second lottery pick to get a point guard to pair with Victor, and a couple videos describing Devin Vassell as the potential odd man who could get moved in such a trade. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, DestroidMengars said:

I've seen some rumors about the Spurs wanting to acquire a second lottery pick to get a point guard to pair with Victor, and a couple videos describing Devin Vassell as the potential odd man who could get moved in such a trade. Thoughts?

Doubt they move Vassell but I'd probably do it. 

19 minutes ago, DestroidMengars said:

Vassell is a guy i’d trade away our 11th pick.. 

Disclaimer: I've never heard of this guy or this website but it's an article on the Magic with quotes from other execs:

https://heavy.com/sports/orlando-magic/offseason-grant-williams-gary-trent/

TLDR: "League sources" think we might target Gary Trent and Grant Williams and that we also won't be waiving Isaac or Fultz. 

But it's very much worth remembering League sources believed we were drafting Jabari Smith Jr. 

Still it's worth thinking about as it feels reasonable.

I've long thought Grant Williams would be a good bet. He's a 24 year old who's already played in 61 playoff games, that experience would be vital for this team. Plus he's solid defensively and shoots about 40% from 3 on catch and shoot, quite often corner, 3s. If you could get him for like 4/60 with a last year team option I'd be down for that. It's not a flashy move but it'd absolutely make us better.

(I'm expecting a negative reaction to the suggestion of Grant Williams)

56 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Disclaimer: I've never heard of this guy or this website but it's an article on the Magic with quotes from other execs:

https://heavy.com/sports/orlando-magic/offseason-grant-williams-gary-trent/

TLDR: "League sources" think we might target Gary Trent and Grant Williams and that we also won't be waiving Isaac or Fultz. 

But it's very much worth remembering League sources believed we were drafting Jabari Smith Jr. 

Still it's worth thinking about as it feels reasonable.

I've long thought Grant Williams would be a good bet. He's a 24 year old who's already played in 61 playoff games, that experience would be vital for this team. Plus he's solid defensively and shoots about 40% from 3 on catch and shoot, quite often corner, 3s. If you could get him for like 4/60 with a last year team option I'd be down for that. It's not a flashy move but it'd absolutely make us better.

(I'm expecting a negative reaction to the suggestion of Grant Williams)

I’d be fine with him. 3 and D guys are one thing we sorely need

56 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

We just waived Jay Scrubb, unsure why we're doing it now but it's not unexpected.

don’t we need the roster spots for 3 possible rookies? (which i don’t think we are going to do)

3 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

don’t we need the roster spots for 3 possible rookies? (which i don’t think we are going to do)

He's a 2 way which is separate to regular roster spots. Also you can carry 20 guys in preseason.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

We just waived Jay Scrubb, unsure why we're doing it now but it's not unexpected.

I’d have to think he got another opportunity..