Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

5 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

actually a pretty bad move.. Phoenix already owe pick swap to Washington.. 

So if Phoenix would finish Top 10 and Washington would finish like 15 and we’d finish 20.

Washington would get the Top 10 pick. We’d get 15 and Phoenix 20.. 

That is not a lot for three 2nd round picks imo

We never use our second round picks we either trade them for future seconds or cash considerations. Swapping future firsts with Phoenix who’s gonna be terrible way before that time is a pretty smart move if you ask me. 

38 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

actually a pretty bad move.. Phoenix already owe pick swap to Washington.. 

So if Phoenix would finish Top 10 and Washington would finish like 15 and we’d finish 20.

Washington would get the Top 10 pick. We’d get 15 and Phoenix 20.. 

That is not a lot for three 2nd round picks imo

Oh, it’s the same year? That sucks 

1 hour ago, OnlyFranz said:

We never use our second round picks we either trade them for future seconds or cash considerations. Swapping future firsts with Phoenix who’s gonna be terrible way before that time is a pretty smart move if you ask me. 

for this deal to have any value, we need to finish better than Washington and Phoenix.. 

3 first round picks can get you quality players down the road.. 

I would have liked the pick swap, if Phoenix didn’t already owe Washington it’s pick in a swap and Washington gets the best pick..

should have asked for another year tbh.. 

57 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

for this deal to have any value, we need to finish better than Washington and Phoenix.. 

3 first round picks can get you quality players down the road.. 

I would have liked the pick swap, if Phoenix didn’t already owe Washington it’s pick in a swap and Washington gets the best pick..

should have asked for another year tbh.. 

Washington is going to be one of the worst teams in the league for the next few years and Phoenix is going to implode sooner rather than later. Would I have preferred a different year sure but we will still get a better pick swapping with Phoenix than keeping our own. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OnlyFranz said:

3 second round picks could get you promising young player at the deadline. I would have liked Saddiq Bey, maybe even Hachimura at the deadline.. 2nd round picks have high value around contending teams.. 

Im calling it. Moses Moody will be available for a bunch of second round picks. maybe even Kuminga, we’ll see

20 hours ago, OnlyFranz said:

Washington is going to be one of the worst teams in the league for the next few years and Phoenix is going to implode sooner rather than later. Would I have preferred a different year sure but we will still get a better pick swapping with Phoenix than keeping our own. 

we’ll see about that one.. I don’t agree. They have potential to bounce back in two years. Especially since they also got a whole lotta cap space moving forward 

40 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

3 second round picks could get you promising young player at the deadline. I would have liked Saddiq Bey, maybe even Hachimura at the deadline.. 2nd round picks have high value around contending teams.. 

Im calling it. Moses Moody will be available for a bunch of second round picks. maybe even Kuminga, we’ll see

When has this management ever shown they know how to use their second round picks properly? I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for something like that to happen. I’ve been around long enough to know we’d rather be patient than be proactive. Just look at the sh*t show that was our SL team. We can’t even develop guys properly in G league. When Admiral Schofield is one of your 2 ways guys that’s all you need to know. 

• Upvote 1

The fact is that we have a 10 man rotation of guys almost entirely under 25. We are betting on ourselves to be better than Washington and Phoenix in 3 years, and we'd much rather have whatever talent we can get in the last 1st round than 3 late 2nd round picks. 

With paying Franz and Banchero, as well as Fultz and whoever else, we're going to need some good young picks to fill in the holes because we're about to have zero cap room in 3 years. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

we’ll see about that one.. I don’t agree. They have potential to bounce back in two years. Especially since they also got a whole lotta cap space moving forward 

No way that’s happening with the way that team is currently constructed. I’d bet the Magic are in a much better position than the Wizards for the foreseeable future. Kuzma and Poole aren’t going to do them any favors in the win column and Washington will most likely be the worst team in the league next year and beyond unless they make some serious upgrades with the cap space they have. 

On 7/17/2023 at 11:56 AM, orlandoholic said:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2023/7/18/23798344/nba-summer-league-stars-best-players-miami-heat-chicago-bulls

Here are some guys. Butler or Springer.

The point of all of this is to say that every Eastern Conference contending team has questions. Really only the Cleveland Cavaliers can be viewed of as a team clearly on the rise.

The Orlando Magic and Indiana Pacers are both young teams seemingly eager to grow — the Pacers likely missed the playoffs because of an extended injury from Tyrese Haliburton. They are also clearly on the rise, banking on internal growth and the right veteran addition — Bruce Brown for the Pacers and Joe Ingles for the Magic.

The Magic and Pacers are going to be the teams competing to knock two of the above teams out of the playoff picture next season. It seems like Brooklyn will lose its place. Toronto or Atlanta may be other teams fighting to keep their spot.

But a lot can happen. And ultimately a team has to take care of itself.

Where there is seemingly opportunity then is the Magic are stable. They have continuity and familiarity. Not to mention they have the potential to grow internally. Their best way to improve is their players to get better.

That is what the Magic are betting on in the end.

And if Orlando does have that kind of growth, it is easy to see them being able to break through into the playoff picture. And from there, chaos might reign with how in flux much of the Eastern Conference is.

There is certainly a path for the Magic to break a few tiers very quickly.
https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2023/07/18/the-eastern-conference-is-a-mess-the-orlando-magic-can-take-advantage-of/