Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

3 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

hes not going to score 20 ppg for us.. we also have Franz and Banchero. Fultz gonna be more aggressive next season too. 

I know he probably won’t score 20 for us but his skill set fits our team perfectly. We need a long range shooter who takes a high volume of threes.  I’d rather pay him than say Gary Trent Jr.  

Doesn’t matter now though Beal is a Sun. 

30 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

The Suns have an amount equivalent to what the luxury tax line is expected to be, committed to 4 players. 

Even with all that shooting Talent, I still don't see them beating the team of the Denver Nuggets. Too much non-complementary play, and the support cast / 2nd unit will be a bunch of rookies and vet mins.

With that said, I don't expect any team to agree to another "no trade" clause like this. The return for Beal, a bonafide top 30 player in this league, was effectively nothing, especially compared to that of recent trades like Gobert, Durant, etc. 

6 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I'd be so upset as a Suns fan. Yuck.

I'd be more concerned if I was a Wizards fan. They turned Beal into actually nothing. 

I know he had the no trade clause but they could have just not traded him and waited for a better offer. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'd be more concerned if I was a Wizards fan. They turned Beal into actually nothing. 

I know he had the no trade clause but they could have just not traded him and waited for a better offer. 

Was surprised too. Maybe it's the market value for a good player on a big big contract. They seem to value the cap space in return.

Pho going to be interesting and weird at the same time. First all-in didn't worked, so they doubled on it..

This Beal trade is why I think it's mad Weltman gets heat for not arriving and immediately trading away Vuc/Fournier/AG. Everyone was expecting a fire sale and would have offered us literal scraps. Weltman zagged when everyone expected him to zig, we made the playoffs 2 years in a row and suddenly you get a great deal for Vuc that really boosts the start of your rebuild.

Wiz new GM is so desperate to rebuild he's traded Beal for pennies on the dollar. 

Really should have given it a season, tried to build a playoff team this summer and made a move at the deadline or next summer if better stuff presented itself. 

I understand that Beal has a tonne of leverage with his no trade clause, the only way to gain any leverage back is by just refusing to trade him for such a terrible deal. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

This Beal trade is why I think it's mad Weltman gets heat for not arriving and immediately trading away Vuc/Fournier/AG. Everyone was expecting a fire sale and would have offered us literal scraps. Weltman zagged when everyone expected him to zig, we made the playoffs 2 years in a row and suddenly you get a great deal for Vuc that really boosts the start of your rebuild.

Wiz new GM is so desperate to rebuild he's traded Beal for pennies on the dollar. 

Really should have given it a season, tried to build a playoff team this summer and made a move at the deadline or next summer if better stuff presented itself. 

I understand that Beal has a tonne of leverage with his no trade clause, the only way to gain any leverage back is by just refusing to trade him for such a terrible deal. 

of course, yeah.. At the same time the Witards were in cap hell and had a bad team overall.. 

New GM wanted a fresh start regardless and that’s what he’s getting. He’ll have 100 mil of cap space next season to start a rebuild. 

he pulled the bandaid off fast rather than slowly taking it off..

As of now it’s probably the worst trade in history. Only time will tell. 

At least they are in a better overall cap situation than the Magic had when Howard screwed them. That roster was maxed out on salary, no room to operate and no high picks to work with. They couldn’t get assets as the players had no value to other teams. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Situations are completely different though, I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Beal has a unique contact in a unique situation for PHO and other teams.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/37875080/with-bradley-beal-trade-suns-building-superteam-too-late

I'm also not sure that our FO really had that approach, seem to me that they sold every veteran really late, when was evident from the start that this group was mediocre. And it's not like other managers didn't know we were going to sell them at some point, or that they were impressive in playoffs, so I highly doubt that the value increased for that. We got great value for Vuc in hindsight (after knowing what become of WCY and the pick) but we got very little from AG, and almost nothing from Fournier. So i still doubt that was a zagged tactic, and that we obtained a great result, especially if considering we "lost" two seasons in the process.

2 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Situations are completely different though, I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Beal has a unique contact in a unique situation for PHO and other teams.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/37875080/with-bradley-beal-trade-suns-building-superteam-too-late

I'm also not sure that our FO really had that approach, seem to me that they sold every veteran really late, when was evident from the start that this group was mediocre. And it's not like other managers didn't know we were going to sell them at some point, or that they were impressive in playoffs, so I highly doubt that the value increased for that. We got great value for Vuc in hindsight (after knowing what become of WCY and the pick) but we got very little from AG, and almost nothing from Fournier. So i still doubt that was a zagged tactic, and that we obtained a great result, especially if considering we "lost" two seasons in the process.

Situations are exactly the same, new front office coming in to a franchise with no immediate direction. I've already explained how they could have handled the Beal thing for greater leverage, no one was forcing them to trade him now for this package just because he can pick the team he goes to doesn't mean that team shouldn't pay up. 

We didn't lose two seasons we made the playoffs and got Vuc 2 all star games which greatly improved his value in particular and allowed us to trade him for what became Wendell Carter Jr, Franz Wagner and #11 in this draft.

The trade for AG was pretty fair, Gary Harris + a prospect and a future 1st is a fine trade, RJ Hampton just didn't work out. 

Fournier we didn't get much for I agree but also he was expiring and I'd argue it's not likes he's since proved he was more valuable than the deal we got for him. 

15 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I'd be so upset as a Suns fan. Yuck.

It’s rare when a blockbuster happens that you hate it for both teams. Suns are strapped with a top heavy roster of injury prone players and won’t get past the top tier of the West. Wizards just gave away their best player for a couple role players and a handful of 2nd round picks. Gross

46 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

It’s rare when a blockbuster happens that you hate it for both teams. Suns are strapped with a top heavy roster of injury prone players and won’t get past the top tier of the West. Wizards just gave away their best player for a couple role players and a handful of 2nd round picks. Gross

The deal makes sense for both teams, but I think more for the Wizards than the Suns. The Wizards needed to get bad faster to start rebuilding, and that contract is arguably the worst in the NBA, no trade clause included. They were staying in the 7-12 range with Beal. Blow it up and get a top 5 pick the next 3 years and give yourself a chance to build as others have.