Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

I just think that would be a solid group to develop going forward.. I have other pipe dream scenarios i like more. Probably Plan A would be to trade for Anfernee Simons in the off season. 

Time will tell what we will do.

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

I'm watching these warrior games and I can't for the life of me I understand why people are so big on Jordan Poole and getting him on this board.

Streaky shooter with average court vision. We literally have the same player for a 1/4 of the price in Cole Anthony, and I'm no significant Cole Anthony fan. 

Nobody has been big on that since he signed a new deal with the Warriors. He was awesome last season but he's been terrible this year. I'd say "bullet dodged" but this FO was probably never interested in him. 

It's a reminder for me why I was never big on smaller, bad defensive, guards. They basically need to be All NBA calibre offensive players to be playable in the playoffs. I let my guard down with Poole last summer because as a team we were, and still are to be honest, desperate for a real pull up threat from 3 but it won't happen again. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Nobody has been big on that since he signed a new deal with the Warriors. He was awesome last season but he's been terrible this year. I'd say "bullet dodged" but this FO was probably never interested in him. 

It's a reminder for me why I was never big on smaller, bad defensive, guards. They basically need to be All NBA calibre offensive players to be playable in the playoffs. I let my guard down with Poole last summer because as a team we were, and still are to be honest, desperate for a real pull up threat from 3 but it won't happen again. 

no here’s a question.. If we get the Number 1 pick and Portland gets the third pick, do we make a trade with them?

Would they offer Simons+ Sharpe+ 3rd for G. Harris+ filler+1st? And would we accept?

1 minute ago, orlandoholic said:

no here’s a question.. If we get the Number 1 pick and Portland gets the third pick, do we make a trade with them?

Would they offer Simons+ Sharpe+ 3rd for G. Harris+ filler+1st? And would we accept?

No we don't make that trade. 

7 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

No we don't make that trade. 

it’s a tough one for me.. I’d probably do it.. It makes our team playoff contending now, with a future superstar and a great rookie.. 

PG: Fultz, C. Anthony 

SG: Simons, Suggs

SF: F. Wagner, Sharpe, Houstan

PF: Banchero, B. Miller, Isaac

C: WCJ, Bitadze, Wagner

wed have a tough choice with that Chicago Pick. Though. I’d probably go J. Walker or work the hell out of Lively and see if he’s worth a reach at this point and draft for „need“

18 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

Absolutely not. If we get the 1 and Wemby there’s literally nothing in the league we’d trade it for 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Absolutely not. If we get the 1 and Wemby there’s literally nothing in the league we’d trade it for 

i’m not sure though. I’d absolutely consider that offer.. Boston did well when they traded out of Markelle. 

Ive seen Wembanyama a lot. He’s a project, for sure. He’s gonna need time, kind of like Antetokounpo. And of course, because nobody has ever seen that body type play, there is huge question marks if he can even play a NBA schedule. 

Wembanyama plays 1 Game a week right now, in an average league. He dropped out of Euroleague and didn’t face competition like Doncic did. 

I get it why everybody loves the hype. I’m just not that much on board, that i would t consider a great offer

1 hour ago, orlandoholic said:

i’m not sure though. I’d absolutely consider that offer.. Boston did well when they traded out of Markelle. 

Ive seen Wembanyama a lot. He’s a project, for sure. He’s gonna need time, kind of like Antetokounpo. And of course, because nobody has ever seen that body type play, there is huge question marks if he can even play a NBA schedule. 

Wembanyama plays 1 Game a week right now, in an average league. He dropped out of Euroleague and didn’t face competition like Doncic did. 

I get it why everybody loves the hype. I’m just not that much on board, that i would t consider a great offer

This is honestly a fair assessment. I was against both drafting Zion and Chet because their bodies I just didn't think (rightly so) would hold up. So I guess the question is why would I feel differently about Wemby and the risk there?

I guess I've never thought Wemby was too skinny for his size maybe. I've always compared him to Anthony Davis but slightly taller with slightly more coordination, which Davis didn't have a significant history of injury until a few seasons in. 

If that's the projection, you don't trade that for the package at hand. 

Why does everyone always talk about the number one pick every year like the player is preordained to be a hall of famer. 

If a team could trade Wemby for an already established star of course you think about it. 

Do i think the Magic would trade him? No i do not but since we are just talking hypothetical trades you can't just say he is untouchable. He could be the next Zion, great player but always hurt. He could be like KAT. Super talented but no heart,not a winner. He could even be like Ben Simmons. Comes into the league but isn't really interested in getting better or playing ball.

No player is a guarantee and the hype with Wemby is a little silly if you ask me.

6 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Why does everyone always talk about the number one pick every year like the player is preordained to be a hall of famer. 

If a team could trade Wemby for an already established star of course you think about it. 

Do i think the Magic would trade him? No i do not but since we are just talking hypothetical trades you can't just say he is untouchable. He could be the next Zion, great player but always hurt. He could be like KAT. Super talented but no heart,not a winner. He could even be like Ben Simmons. Comes into the league but isn't really interested in getting better or playing ball.

No player is a guarantee and the hype with Wemby is a little silly if you ask me.

Because historically the #1 pick has the highest odds of being a HOFer. 

Right but we're not discussing Wemby for Luka. We got offered Wemby for Anfernee Simon's, Shaedon Sharpe and Brandon Miller. None of those guys are an established star and Wembanyama has the highest chance at being one in that trade. 

It doesn't really matter if he could get hurt (for the record I've got no worries about him being a winner or not developing he's developed considerably in the past year or two and has been the best player on a team with the second best record in the French league). The reward far outstrips the risk. 

Everyone knows no player is a guarantee. But he's the best prospect in the class and hence has the most hype. Best prospect doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the best player 10 years from now there's a lot of flat out unknowns to account for that go into that but it'd be madness to pick someone who you thought was a worse prospect over Wembanyama because every player has those risks (injuries, mentality etc).

10 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Because historically the #1 pick has the highest odds of being a HOFer. 

Right but we're not discussing Wemby for Luka. We got offered Wemby for Anfernee Simon's, Shaedon Sharpe and Brandon Miller. None of those guys are an established star and Wembanyama has the highest chance at being one in that trade. 

It doesn't really matter if he could get hurt (for the record I've got no worries about him being a winner or not developing he's developed considerably in the past year or two and has been the best player on a team with the second best record in the French league). The reward far outstrips the risk. 

Everyone knows no player is a guarantee. But he's the best prospect in the class and hence has the most hype. Best prospect doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the best player 10 years from now there's a lot of flat out unknowns to account for that go into that but it'd be madness to pick someone who you thought was a worse prospect over Wembanyama because every player has those risks (injuries, mentality etc).

And what the Magic want (FO And All Of Us) is to get that NEXT star player to round up the team and go and compete hard against the other 29 teams.

If you get super lucky and land Wembanyama......on our way to the top we should go.

Even if we don't get him, the team is inching in on something special no matter what. There are phenomenal young prospects in this draft up and down AND WE HAVE ( Fingers Crossed) TWO high lottery picks.

Player trades are an option too, no question about it.....getting another 1st round pick for 2027 should be a priority as well. Got to continue to be good organically and beat the salary cap obstacles.

On 5/6/2023 at 3:00 AM, CTMagicUK said:

This probably been posted already but I just stumbled across it and its a joyous 6 minutes to watch.

Health and his 3 point % up a couple points is all I pray for for him.

This is a heck of a video of how to play defense in the game of basketball.....Jalen just simply plays the ball.....he doesn't guard a player while he is on the floor. He just plays the ball.

Thanks for posting it CT !!! See if you can find his video where his passing is showcased.

Jalen's basketball IQ is thru the roof. Jalen's athleticism can be compared to the best small players of all time, you pick. Jalen's speed when the game is on is tops versus almost everyone else.

Don't get fooled with what has happened to him the first couple of years. The Magic had never had a small player that plays the way he plays the game like him. The closest ones are Nick Anderson,  Darrel Armstrong and Penny. And maybe Penny edges him,  but think about it, Penny (6'7") is just slightly better defensively than Jalen (6'5"), and he still is only 23.

In the first couple of years, he has played 48 and 53 games.....only because he was basically killing himself out there. But after he came back the last time he became a little bit more cautious and played extremely well. Besides the injury in these first two seasons, he had to deal with the fact of the matter that the Raptors passed on him and picked Scottie Barnes who goes and wins the ROY award. Franz is picked after him at 8 and was able to adjust to the NBA game faster than him and played better than him also.

On top of that he had to adjust positions and play the shooting guard position...a position that you can tell early on that he is not comfortable at.

I still think that he will be a PG in this league.....and with the Magic.

Right now we have 2 big stars in Paolo and Franz and ONE MINI STAR IN JALEN. He is simply too good in this sport not to be a big star soon !!!

I've said it before and will say it again....I'll go to war in the NBA every night with Jalen on my team.