Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

14 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Honestly (Vuc nostalgia aside) this summer's free agency isn't looking good for acquiring a quality backup 5. I'd probably just stick with Goga for the season and see if he works out. 

if we can’t add through Free Agency, we need to use that 2nd round pick..

i absolutely like Tubelis and Jackson-Davis 

2 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

if we can’t add through Free Agency, we need to use that 2nd round pick..

i absolutely like Tubelis and Jackson-Davis 

I don't think we necessarily need to. It's not like backup 5 is going to be the difference between a championship or not and even if it was a 2nd round pick, rookie wouldn't be a better option than Goga.

11 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I don't think we necessarily need to. It's not like backup 5 is going to be the difference between a championship or not and even if it was a 2nd round pick, rookie wouldn't be a better option than Goga.

I'm happy with Goga's play! We have more pressing needs than a 5 unless we luck into Victor.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Apparently the market for Cam Johnson is going to be in the region of 4 years 90 mil. 

Is he unrestricted? Also makes sense because of the Bertans and Duncan Robinson contracts. I don't think the Nets retain him. He is a good young piece but i think they ride out Bens contract and look for flexibility. Even with hardly any true free agents these days, the Nets can reshape the team in two short years. Just trade Ben and Joe or let the contracts end while keeping Bridges.

3 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Is he unrestricted? Also makes sense because of the Bertans and Duncan Robinson contracts. I don't think the Nets retain him. He is a good young piece but i think they ride out Bens contract and look for flexibility. Even with hardly any true free agents these days, the Nets can reshape the team in two short years. Just trade Ben and Joe or let the contracts end while keeping Bridges.

Cam is an RFA. Also rumor mill is already swirling that Brooklyn is the most likely Lillard spot if he demands our FWIW 

11 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Cam is an RFA. Also rumor mill is already swirling that Brooklyn is the most likely Lillard spot if he demands our FWIW 

That would be weird for the Nets to try a third time what worked so bad the last two times. However i am a sucker for a good trade scenario. If the Blazers made the trade more as a favor to Dame then trying to sucker the Nets i could see that working.

Anyway as far as Cam just taking a look at his offensive numbers they are elite as a role player on fairly high usage. I have not watched enough games to see if he sucks on defense or not. The numbers say he is decent. NY should just match and try to  build a team around him and Bridges. Anyone can be traded even Ben Simmons and Joe Harris.

If i learned anything these last few years is there isn't an untradeable contract. It's more about a teams willingness to make a tough decision.

On 4/23/2023 at 1:32 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Apparently the market for Cam Johnson is going to be in the region of 4 years 90 mil. 

Such a steep price for us if he is valued a $20M a year and he is......

We need his buddy Cole to help recruit him to the Magic.....I think we have a chance to add him.

This FA summer could / should be one were we add another solid player.

25 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

We need his buddy Cole to help recruit him to the Magic.....I think we have a chance to add him.

Are they friends? They never played together at UNC.

On 4/25/2023 at 9:55 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Are they friends? They never played together at UNC.

They are one year apart from their college days in UNC.....Cam 2019, Cole 2020

On Apr 7, our next to last game at BKN, after the game they were congratulating each other and murmuring to each other, laughing like they are really buddies.

If the FO is going all in this upcoming season.....they should consider Cam. How good would this team be with him...tell me about it.

Who knows what is going to happen until it happens with this FO.....they have being good and lucky the last 3 years once they traded Vuc.

They are loaded with assets up and down.....wouldn't be surprised if they trade down one or both picks with the exception of getting super lucky and landing a top 4 spot.

• Upvote 1

Turning one or both picks into an actual NBA player has to be on the table. Cam in some ways is exactly what we need. Another wing who can shoot. And most importantly he doesn't need the ball in his hands or high usage. Problem is getting wings means we are comfortable going forward with Fultz and Cole and they pretty much have to be paid after this next season if we are keeping them.

5 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Turning one or both picks into an actual NBA player has to be on the table. Cam in some ways is exactly what we need. Another wing who can shoot. And most importantly he doesn't need the ball in his hands or high usage. Problem is getting wings means we are comfortable going forward with Fultz and Cole and they pretty much have to be paid after this next season if we are keeping them.

Using the picks in a trade, id be going for an All Star caliber player.. 

Cam Johnson would be a great pickup. But imo there is a similar player available in the draft. Taylor Hendricks checks all the boxes Cam Johnson has and would be cheaper. 

And if we can draft Brandon Miller i’m definitely not picking up Johnson in FA.