Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

On 4/20/2023 at 10:42 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Screw it here's an honest attempt at a Top however many players I can think of, not taking fit on this team into account.  

1. Wemby

2. Scoot

3. Amen Thompson

4. Aussar Thompson

5. Brandon Miller 

6. Cam Whitmore

7. Anthony Black

8. Taylor Hendricks

9. Jarace Walker

10. Keyonte George

11. Nick Smith Jr. 

12. Cason Wallace

13. Kobe Bufkin 

14. Gradey Dick

15.  Jett Howard

16. Jordan Hawkins 

17. Rayan Rupert 

18. Leonard Miller

19. Brice Sensabaugh 

20. Derek Lively 

I'm starting to struggle so I'll stop there. I think for me 1, 2 and 3 feel pretty set then the rest are in little groups that feel like they could change pretty easily even on just how I feel that day: 4-6, 7-9. 10-16 and 17-20.  Derek Lively kind of confuses me because I kept thinking about him at every point from like 13 onwards but I just kept erring on the side of guards/wings/forwards over him who's an out and out 5. 

You know this is not a bad draft to have 2 lottery picks in. It's not like LOADED with stars but there's a lot of potential there. Like I'd be genuinely surprised if none (or even only one) of those guys in the 10-20 group go on to become a star. 

I'm lower on Miller than most but that's not for any particular reason other than I'm just high on the Thompsons (though I concede they're definitely the most high risk guys in the top 10). 

Hopefully I didn't forget anyone obvious.

Agree, it is highly probable, even not knowing where we are picking, we should add 2 solid young studs with potential....hopefully somewhat ready to contribute game 1 of the pre-season up to play-off games...number 90 +

I've a feeling Gradey is going to be picked top 10.

On 4/18/2023 at 2:43 PM, hootie249 said:

Won't happen. It will be like that year we wanted a point guard in the second and all of them went like 27-33.

This kid will be a first rounder simply because he will look amazing at the combine. If move up because of the lottery i could see them trading the bulls pick back and maybe picking him. In fact if we move up i can seriously see us trading the Bulls pick back to save money or even trading it away to get a cost controlled player. We move up to 1-4 all of a sudden we have a ton of money in expensive rookie contracts with possibly two players needing to be extended. 

In fact after the lottery i think it will be the first time they might make a trade before the draft. It is hard to imagine them drafting and keeping all these young guys. They might prefer the only drafting one first rounder and getting a decent second rounder or using the two picks to get a more cost controlled player late.

Edit just checked, it was 2018 and guess who was picked right before we picked Melvin Frasier? Jalen Brunson,Devonte' Grahm  and Jevon Carter. And i remember a few of you guys wanting Jevon or Jalen. Imagine that. Also Mitchel Robinson and Gary Trent went right after. 

Yea our scouting late picks has sucked for decades. Has our scouts changed or are they just using the same dip****s? That is the question. 

Just watched a mock on YouTube that has us with Miller at 4 and Dick at 11. Idk how I feel about Miller’s off court issues, but on paper that would be a great draft imo

14 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

Just watched a mock on YouTube that has us with Miller at 4 and Dick at 11. Idk how I feel about Miller’s off court issues, but on paper that would be a great draft imo

Outside of Wemby, those two would be my best-case scenario.

Wondering if we could draft and stash someone with 36?

Tristan Vukcevic looks pretty intriguing, unsure whether he'd want to come over immediately or not. 

And there are a couple of European born players in college too who might take a draft and stash deal to guarantee getting drafted and could go back to their birth countries to play for a year or two (thinking Bona and Tubelis). 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Wondering if we could draft and stash someone with 36?

Tristan Vukcevic looks pretty intriguing, unsure whether he'd want to come over immediately or not. 

And there are a couple of European born players in college too who might take a draft and stash deal to guarantee getting drafted and could go back to their birth countries to play for a year or two (thinking Bona and Tubelis). 

I like some stash options. Decided i wouldn’t care anymore for the Magic, as they never do this. I don’t know why.. 

There are several stash guys this year, that are promising.

Vukcevic, Djurisic is great, James Nnaji intrigue me the most. Roko Prkacin is under the radar, i don’t even know if he’ll declare. 

Tubelis is not a stash player imo.. Dude went to college with a mission. He ain’t going back to europe imo and i’d rather play him right away or use the G League team for god sake.. 

12 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

Tubelis is not a stash player imo.. Dude went to college with a mission. He ain’t going back to europe imo and i’d rather play him right away or use the G League team for god sake.. 

Filip Petrusev had a very productive last year of college at Gonzaga and went overseas after being drafted.

11 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

I like some stash options. Decided i wouldn’t care anymore for the Magic, as they never do this. I don’t know why.. 

Two words. Fran Vazquez

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Two words. Fran Vazquez

Fran Vasquez is multiple generations of Magic basketball teams ago.. I figured it’s not worth a mention.. 

3 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Fran Vasquez is multiple generations of Magic basketball teams ago.. I figured it’s not worth a mention.. 

I don’t care how long ago it was. It is one of the stupidest draft decisions in history.