Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

6. Orlando Magic

Anthony Black
Arkansas
PG/SG

Per usual, the Magic have been a tricky team for rivals to read at this spot, but Black and Ausar Thompson appear to be the two strongest candidates. Considering Orlando's lack of size in the backcourt and emphasis on feel in its perimeter players, Black fits the mold, and with Thompson off the board to Detroit, he could very well be the pick here. In this scenario, with Whitmore available at No. 6, he could also be a viable candidate. The Magic have explored moving around in the draft but will have a difficult choice to make if they stay put, particularly if the Rockets and Pistons opt to pass on Whitmore and send him down into the next part of the lottery. Provided his jumper comes along, Black could be an excellent fit with what the Magic already have, giving them a connective player and versatile defender to accentuate the young talent already in place. -- Woo

11. Orlando Magic (via Chicago)

Gradey Dick
Kansas
SG/SF

Drafting at No. 6 and No. 11 has given the Magic a chance to look at virtually every lottery prospect outside of the top three, with the exception of Bufkin. This is assumed to be the floor for Black, who is believed to be in consideration for the Magic's No. 6 pick. Provided the Magic don't select Whitmore at No. 6 (a possibility), picking Dick at No. 11 is a move that many rival teams anticipate due to the floor spacing he could provide as arguably the best shooter in the draft. Lively is said to be another option here after a strong workout in Orlando. Another likely candidate is Bilal Coulibaly, who has been one of the hottest names going into this week. Several rival teams have indicate that this pick is very much available in a trade for a veteran wing shooter, and we could see a team try to move up to this slot to snag one of Dick, Bufkin or Couliably in this slot. -- Givony

Givony just posted …he’s got both twins off the board now by our pick …I am gonna be so disappointed if we take Anthony Black at 6 …not only is his shooting suspect but to me he’s a reach at 6 smh 

2 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

I would be quite happy with Black and Gradey. Black is definitely a weird fit on our current team but I just think he is going to be a really good nba player

If he’s a weird fit …and I agree …why would that make you happy ? 

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

How can I guy being consistently mocked in the 6-10 range be considered a reach if picked at 6? That's not what a reach is. 

Come on man …and I’m only gonna respond once to you …his shooting is suspect …every guy on this board said if we draft a non shooter they are gonna scream …I’ve seen the kid play in two big games against UK …he was not noticeable as I’ve already posted …I know you want him and that’s cool …I don’t …since you were all over Chet last year and it never happened maybe the fact you want Black means we ain’t picking him either …or at least I hope so ….6 is his ceiling and I hope and pray it ain’t us ….no clue how he’s slotted this high …I guess cause he’s 6’7”

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Come on man …and I’m only gonna respond once to you …his shooting is suspect …every guy on this board said if we draft a non shooter they are gonna scream …I’ve seen the kid play in two big games against UK …he was not noticeable as I’ve already posted …I know you want him and that’s cool …I don’t …since you were all over Chet last year and it never happened maybe the fact you want Black means we ain’t picking him either …or at least I hope so ….6 is his ceiling and I hope and pray it ain’t us ….no clue how he’s slotted this high …I guess cause he’s 6’7”

I asked a simple question which had nothing to do with Black as a player. 

I dunno what Chet has to do with this. 

58 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

If he’s a weird fit …and I agree …why would that make you happy ? 

Just because I like Black as a player. Long, smart, great defender, helps in all the stuff that isn’t in the stat sheet. The shooting issues are comparable to Scoot and probably better than the twins at this point. I want shooting as much as anyone but I just think he is really good

3 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

So if we draft a guard, who do y’all want to trade? Suggs or Cole. My vote is Cole. 

I would also say Cole and only for this reason .... we have not seen yet a full healthy suggs     we have seen a full cole.    And if he were content to be 6th man, i would switch my pick. He is very good as a disruptor, spark off the bench.   But he has made a lot of noise about wanting to start.    (BTW .. in some ways i admire him for wanting more, but if i have to take his dissatisfaction into account, he would get my vote to go.

The Black rumours are just smart from FO, They know Wash and Utah are desperate for him. Create a bidding war then trade down.

• Upvote 1