Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

38 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I have Wallace in that group at 11 but in my ideal we get Gradey or Bufkin. 

yeah me too. But don’t be surprised if the Magic decide to draft him at 6! He could be a surprise pick. He checks all the boxes! Ausar is only favorable because of his great physical gifts. But Wallace is actually  the better player now. 

2 hours ago, DestroidMengars said:

I kind of go back and forth between him, Whitmore, and Hendricks (if all are available). The things that keep bringing me back towards Whitmore are that 1) he's a year younger than Ausar and 2) he played against normal college competition vs. in a new league, so it's easier to get a read on his true ability level.  However, I'm neck and neck between the two of them. I definitely like that Ausar is more of a two guard than a forward, which is what we really need. But then I think, why not just take Hendricks, he's got both a decent three point shot already and the defense? Slide Franz to the two... I just wish Franz was a bit more consistent at guarding 2s. I feel like Hendricks and Dick have the most obvious fit on this team of those potentially available at our two spots, but they certainly have lower ceilings than most other options. I think I'd definitely take Gradey at 11 if he's still available there, but I'd be really reluctant to take him at 6.

Yea I have Ausar and Cam as the top 2 guys at 6. 

I almost posted an essay of why I lean Ausar over Cam but it was getting out of hand so the TLDR version is I value high feel, quick decision making, good passing and unselfishness pretty highly and I think Ausar has a clear lead in all that stuff over Cam. 

22 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I think we're in a great spot in the draft. First, we crushed Chicago in the Vooch trade. Franz, WCJ and #11? Wow. Now we have two great picks this year, or we have the ammo to move around. Love the position the Magic are in right now. 

Franz and WCJ are better than Vuc already, and there's a chance that the 11th pick is also better this season or the next. Fantastic deal

The Bulls were able to make some noise with Vuc, DeRozan etc. so they shouldn't be too bummed about it

Nick Smith is one of the hardest guys to evaluate in the class. Struggled so much at Arkansas but also had a lot of injury stuff going on and it was an imperfect context for him. I kept him in my lottery all season but as other guys showed more just had to drop him into the teens.

If you told me he was an All Star 3 years from now I'd believe you. Equally if you told me he was out of the league 3 years from now I'd believe you. 

Pro day videos aren't changing my rankings though. All that stuff is just PR. 

I think if the Spurs want to trade back into the lottery, which there seems to be smoke about, we should consider a trade with them if it'd net us multiple future firsts. 

If you could get something like the Toronto 2024 first and the Chicago 2025 first as like a starting point and then maybe get a move up from 36 to 33 in the second round, a couple of future seconds and a throw in player like Charles Bassey (could make a good backup 5) I'd really consider that deal for 11.

That kind of asset multiplication could be really good for when we want to make a win now trade. 

I feel like there's a couple of different routes we can take in this draft. We can go the route the Phoenix Suns went, when they drafted Mikel Bridges and Cam Johnson - two plug and play guys who were ready to play a role day one. The other route is to draft for upside, and the last one is to go 1 and 1 - one upside and one plug and play guy.

So here our three scenarios:

Plug and Play - #6. - Grady Dick, #11. - Jordan Hawkins

Upside - #6. Ausur Thompson, #11 - Dereck Lively

1 and 1 - #6. Ausur Thompson, #11. Jordan Hawkins/Carson Wallace

One thing for sure, this draft will let us know were they think we our as a Franchise.

• Upvote 1

https://www.tankathon.com/players/brice-sensabaugh  I'm surprised nobody is on the bandwagon for this guy at 11. Orlando native and 3rd highest PPG in the draft at over 23 a game. "Last season, Sensabaugh had the eighth-best field goal percentage at 48.2 percent to go along with a 40.5 percent clip from deep, showing an innate ability to get to spots and knock down shots — something pertinent to NBA success." from S.I.

On 5/26/2023 at 4:10 PM, DestroidMengars said:

I kind of go back and forth between him, Whitmore, and Hendricks (if all are available). The things that keep bringing me back towards Whitmore are that 1) he's a year younger than Ausar and 2) he played against normal college competition vs. in a new league, so it's easier to get a read on his true ability level.  However, I'm neck and neck between the two of them. I definitely like that Ausar is more of a two guard than a forward, which is what we really need. But then I think, why not just take Hendricks, he's got both a decent three point shot already and the defense? Slide Franz to the two... I just wish Franz was a bit more consistent at guarding 2s. I feel like Hendricks and Dick have the most obvious fit on this team of those potentially available at our two spots, but they certainly have lower ceilings than most other options. I think I'd definitely take Gradey at 11 if he's still available there, but I'd be really reluctant to take him at