Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

22 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Lol adding Wemby to this core just wouldn’t be fair 

Adam Silver would be seething if we got back to back 1st overall picks AGAIN.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Adam Silver would be seething if we got back to back 1st overall picks AGAIN.

I think he works be happy with it given that we actually attempted to make the playoffs this season and were competitive after the terrible start

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

If you look at who WeltHam have drafted in the first round there's a few things that generally seem to link them: Positional size and length, solid passing, defense or at the very least defensive potential, potential to be a competent shooter. 

(Not every prospect we drafted ticks every box but I feel in general those are the things we're looking at. The competent shooters one might raise eyebrows but we haven't ever drafted total non shooters really, everyone has had at least competent track records as shooters which we've bet on improving - with mixed results. Suggs for example has been bad in the NBA but results in college were pretty encouraging even if nobody thought he was a sniper, he shot the same percentage from 3 in college as Franz they've just had very different times in the NBA) 

With that criteria in mind I think Cason Wallace might be a WeltHam guy. An absolute menace on defense, good but somewhat safe passer, competent looking jumper. Seems like the type of guy you might want to play with 2 star forwards to be fair. 

I'd like to think, somewhat out of hope, Gradey Dick might also be too but it depends how favourably you/they view his defense. 

If we don't get one of the top-4 picks then I am hoping that Cason Wallace is one of the guys we look very closely at drafting. Wallace is a real 3 & D kind of player in the backcourt. He reminds me of Suggs with a better 3-pt shot. I love Gradey Dick's shooting, and he does remind me a bit of Franz. I am fairly high on Hedricks from UCF, and I think either would be a decent fit, but will they be the BPA when we get there?  I also do like these guys, but have some doubts on the defensive side from Jett Howard, Brice Sensabaugh, and offensive side doubts about Anthony Black.

I think bringing in two rookies that play PG/SG/SF positions means you are ready to move on from some of your current roster/rotation. Who would be out remains to be seen. I think Anthony and Suggs might be negatively impacted both from a confidence and a minutes perspective, though I'm not sure anything can shake Cole's confidence. The obvious moves are the guys who aren't guaranteed yet, G Harris and Bol, but I like Gary's veteran presence and Bol is a cheap asset. Also, you have to consider how this team is gelling. I doubt you keep MCW and Schofield, and who knows with Isaac and Okeke's injury histories if you keep them. It looks like a very interesting summer shaping up. 

• Upvote 1

It's hard not to like Hawkins. His shooting off screens is such a weapon, and his ability to find just a little space even inside the arc is impressive. I like him over some of the other guards rated above him. 

On 4/3/2023 at 11:58 AM, Soul Bro said:

Take it back, AEOM. He's destined to be the Timmy we never signed in O-Town. 

I'm probably gonna wind up doing a superstitious rain dance or something to hope we get him. I literally spent I don't know how many hours wishing the 1st overall into existence last year and damn it I'm trying again 

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2023 at 2:45 PM, jmmagicfan said:

If we don't get one of the top-4 picks then I am hoping that Cason Wallace is one of the guys we look very closely at drafting. Wallace is a real 3 & D kind of player in the backcourt. He reminds me of Suggs with a better 3-pt shot. I love Gradey Dick's shooting, and he does remind me a bit of Franz. I am fairly high on Hedricks from UCF, and I think either would be a decent fit, but will they be the BPA when we get there?  I also do like these guys, but have some doubts on the defensive side from Jett Howard, Brice Sensabaugh, and offensive side doubts about Anthony Black.

I think bringing in two rookies that play PG/SG/SF positions means you are ready to move on from some of your current roster/rotation. Who would be out remains to be seen. I think Anthony and Suggs might be negatively impacted both from a confidence and a minutes perspective, though I'm not sure anything can shake Cole's confidence. The obvious moves are the guys who aren't guaranteed yet, G Harris and Bol, but I like Gary's veteran presence and Bol is a cheap asset. Also, you have to consider how this team is gelling. I doubt you keep MCW and Schofield, and who knows with Isaac and Okeke's injury histories if you keep them. It looks like a very interesting summer shaping up. 

My exact thoughts as always. We need ballers, i see a guard and a forward if we keep both picks. No sense of talking about the top 5 players until the lotto. The way it's looking unless we pick at number two i'm calling a forward with the first pick. Size still gets drafted and the late lotto forwards seem to have moved up in all the mocks. I love Cason because those Kentucky guards just produce. Unless we fall in the Thompson range, i can't see our gm's passing on Whitmore,Walker or even Hendricks if they have the chance. Can take a chance on many guards with the Bulls pick.

Wasserman at BR has Kobe Bufkin at 14 now and honestly I think I have him top 10. 

Looks to have long arms, super fast hands on defense, good lateral mover too, really good finisher at the rim (close to 70% for a 6'4 guard), good shooter both from spot ups and off the dribble (almost a third of his 3s are un-assisted). Shown some good passing flashes too. Done a lot of great work out of DHOs at Michigan which is a solid fit with the way we play also.

He's pretty skinny which hinders him in a number of ways at the moment (doesn't draw many fouls, gets screened relatively easily on defense, his step backs don't always seem to generate enough power). And I'm not sure he has much chance of being a star scorer, number 1 option type (lacks a bit of burst and shake 1 on 1, has a habit of picking ball up when pressured by defense). But it's hard to believe he's not a starting calibre NBA guard at minimum. 

16 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Where would we play Wemby? SF, PF, C?

PF/C. He's not, nor has he ever been, a SF. But I wouldn't worry about it. 

so i ran tankathon 20 times   if the odds are real, not bad. 3 times first   2 times second  1 time third  3 times fourth   rest between 8 and 10     thats almost a 50% chance of top 4

dont know how real the odds are but i was surprised by the results    sadly the chicago pick never got above 10

3 minutes ago, harryfromphilly said:

so i ran tankathon 20 times   if the odds are real, not bad. 3 times first   2 times second  1 time third  3 times fourth   rest between 8 and 10     thats almost a 50% chance of top 4

dont know how real the odds are but i was surprised by the results    sadly the chicago pick never got above 10

Tankathon has a "Pick Odds" section which tells you the actual odds..

We don't want the Bulls pick to move up. If it moves up (it can only move up to 1-4) we lose it. 

• Upvote 3

On 4/4/2023 at 3:43 PM, hootie249 said:

My exact thoughts as always. We need ballers, i see a guard and a forward if we keep both picks. No sense of talking about the top 5 players until the lotto. The way it's looking unless we pick at number two i'm calling a forward with the first pick. Size still gets drafted and the late lotto forwards seem to have moved up in all the mocks. I love Cason because those Kentucky guards just produce. Unless we fall in the Thompson range, i can't see our gm's passing on Whitmore,Walker or even Hendricks if they have the chance. Can take a chance on many guards with the Bulls pick.

I want us to pick the BPA that can shoot. I wouldnt mind trading both picks  (if they are 9 and 11) up to get gradey