Soul Bro

2022-2023 Trade Idea Thread

9 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Fred was an undrafted player who made it. He got his bag and his ring. Both he and Gary Trent have player options, not team options. They are both rumored to be traded because of those options. However i think it's for opposite reasons. I think Toronto knows Gary will opt out and would love to keep paying him the same salary, but are worried he will test the free market. With Fred they are afraid he will opt in and he has shot 30% from 3 for almost a full season. Trading both makes sense if they get back flexibility or another future piece. 

If we wind up trading for Fred, i think it's more about consolidation. Fred has shot poorly lately, but obviously he could bounce back. He is a winner and more of a leader then some of our players. lastly it's about cost control, he would not be costly to trade for, plus we would probably know if he would opt in. If he opts in we know we have a lead guard who comes off the books when we have to extend Suggs and Wagner. He basically does everything Cole does but is a veteran. 

So hypothetical trade happens two ways. Let's say we are willing to part with Cole because we want the path clear for Suggs and don't want the hassle of extending him. 

Orlando Trades Cole,RJ and Bamba for Fred. Ok before you freak out about giving up so much, it's about the fit. RJ hasn't been playing because they knew they were trading him. Bamba is hard to give up on but he was always the odd man out. Cole i already said, don't want to pay him. This also opens up roster spots for us to add someone. If the players don't seem right there are other combos like Harris and Bamba or Ross, but i don't think anyone is trading for those two. Gary just can't stay healthy and Ross is filler. People will trade for them to free up space and lead a tank crew, that's it.

TL;DR. I think Toronto is a smart team and would gladly trade with us for a chance to see what they have in Cole and Bamba. I think it could benefit us as we finally get a vet and Bamba and Cole are too inconsistent with us and are not in the teams future. Neither team would be giving up draft capitol in the scenario. That is another big reason a trade like this could get done. Both teams giving up enough in value not to have to use draft picks.

Gary Trent Jr appears to fit the future Magic team....

Height: 6'5"

Wingspan: 6'8.5"

Player Option After This Season / Salary If Not Opt Out 2023/24: $18,785.00 (high but not ridiculously high / Magic will have to offer more money for 3 - 4 years of his service

2022-23 TOR Reg 25 783:00 148 344 43.0 57 170 33.5 70 90 77.8 13 37 50 36 28 39 3 423

OF COURSE WE WOULD LIKE JALEN SUGGS TO PERFOM SIMILARLY AS THE PRIMARY SG AND AT A THIRD OF GARY'S SALARY

I think we just need to find out what we wanna do at the 2 guard spot going forward. IMO 4 of the 5 starters are set. I want Franz and Paolo at the 3/4 not the 2/3, and Bol isn’t a starter in this league, he’s bad at defense. Question is, do we think Suggs or Cole can be our 2 guard of the future, or do we need to go find one.

Yes many of us have stated Gary would be the better trade since we need a shooting guard. Still we would have to sign him after this season but that would not be a problem. If we are trading Bamba and Cole, or Harris and Bamba or whoever the salaries would even out in the long run. Question would be what draft picks are switching teams? Also the VanVleet trade would be for different reasons. 

35 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I think we just need to find out what we wanna do at the 2 guard spot going forward. IMO 4 of the 5 starters are set. I want Franz and Paolo at the 3/4 not the 2/3, and Bol isn’t a starter in this league, he’s bad at defense. Question is, do we think Suggs or Cole can be our 2 guard of the future, or do we need to go find one.

With Fultz running point ? Does Suggs shoot or can he shoot well enough to play there ? I actually like Franz at the 2 …certainly been successful doing it …also like Cole off the bench where he can fire away …they’ve played Cole and Fultz together some …maybe someone not as lazy as me right now can research how effective those two are playing together .

What do you think ?

4 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

So here's a question: I've seen a lot of people talk about how Jabari Smith doesn't fit with the Houston Rockets offense and that Houston wasn't even that high on him. 

I think Jabari works really well with what we want to do with length and complimentary shooting. 

Thoughts on in a season or so trading for him? Or hell, does a package of Cole/Bamba/someone else work before season's end? 

I don't think any reputable source has suggested he's going to be traded. And I don't see where he fits on this team either.

18 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

With Fultz running point ? Does Suggs shoot or can he shoot well enough to play there ? I actually like Franz at the 2 …certainly been successful doing it …also like Cole off the bench where he can fire away …they’ve played Cole and Fultz together some …maybe someone not as lazy as me right now can research how effective those two are playing together .

What do you think ?

I like Franz at the two, too. To me, we have three long-term starters in Franz, Paulo and Wendell. While I like Fultz, I don't trust his health long-term. Thus, that leaves two spots open.

21 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

What do you think ?

I think Markelle is our point guard, if he can stay healthy. He does too many things that contribute to winning and he’s embraced the leadership role. I honestly think Fultz, Suggs and Cole are all point guards. I’d like a 3 and D guy like a younger healthier version of Gary Harris at the 2. Maybe Franz is the answer at SG, I dunno. It’s nice to be in an embarrassment of riches position for once 

16 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I like Franz at the two, too. To me, we have three long-term starters in Franz, Paulo and Wendell. While I like Fultz, I don't trust his health long-term. Thus, that leaves two spots open.

So you wanna replace Mo as a starter at 5 with how well he plays with his brother ? Pretty sure you posted the other day he was like our spirit animal lol …I’ve been asking with Wendell coming back who’s starting at the 5

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

So you wanna replace Mo as a starter at 5 with how well he plays with his brother ? Pretty sure you posted the other day he was like our spirit animal lol …I’ve been asking with Wendell coming back who’s starting at the 5

Yes, I think it’s the right move, as I think WCJ is the better two-way player. I still love MOW and would like him to get plenty of minutes. It’s a good problem to have, and I obviously want us to win. If we lose with WCJ as a starter, we can always pivot back.

5 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

What kind of players are we going to be drafting in about 6 months with the two 1st round picks we (fingers closed) have? 

Two guards or one guard and one wing?

I don't think we're picking a center unless we get super lucky and get Vic......

I know this is recency bias after the last couple of games but... Would anyone really be excited about trading Cole for Fred VanVleet? I wouldn't. And it's not because I think Cole can be some superstar but I think he's got a reasonable chance to be as good as FVV in the next year or two and is younger and not paid 20mil a season. 

33 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I know this is recency bias after the last couple of games but... Would anyone really be excited about trading Cole for Fred VanVleet? I wouldn't. And it's not because I think Cole can be some superstar but I think he's got a reasonable chance to be as good as FVV in the next year or two and is younger and not paid 20mil a season. 

As a guy who isn’t a huge fan of Cole I had the exact same thought about him and FVV. Cole could have a similar role for Orlando as FVV did in his early Toronto days if he hits his ceiling. 

• Like 1