Soul Bro

2022-2023 Trade Idea Thread

NBA Trade Rumors: Lakers, Knicks Interested in Magic Vet Terrence Ross?

Terrence Ross has been rumored to be on the trade block for a while. Will the Orlando Magic deal him this year?
"Terrence Ross has long garnered interest from the Los Angeles Lakers, sources said. New York was in pursuit of Ross in previous years, as well. Yet, while Orlando has rebuffed offers below a first-round pick for the veteran swingman in recent seasons, sources said, it’s difficult to foresee a playoff contender sacrificing more than a single second-round selection for Ross’ services."

46 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

NBA Trade Rumors: Lakers, Knicks Interested in Magic Vet Terrence Ross?

Terrence Ross has been rumored to be on the trade block for a while. Will the Orlando Magic deal him this year?
"Terrence Ross has long garnered interest from the Los Angeles Lakers, sources said. New York was in pursuit of Ross in previous years, as well. Yet, while Orlando has rebuffed offers below a first-round pick for the veteran swingman in recent seasons, sources said, it’s difficult to foresee a playoff contender sacrificing more than a single second-round selection for Ross’ services."

They are not under the cap so they would have to send salary back....LOL what a ****ty rumor.

Quick check on sportrac.com or fanspo.com. The Lakers are so screwed with trades, after the big 3 of LeBron,Davis and Westbrook the next big salaries are Beverly at 13 million and walker at about half that. Everyone else is 2 million or less. What a messed up team. Still, i feel someone will bail them out by trading for Westbrook just to drop salaries. Maybe.

• Upvote 1

There’s pretty much zero legs to the Ross to LA or NY rumors IMO. Both teams are bad, he’s bad, if he gets dealt it’ll be to a contender taking a chance on him remembering how to be a useful basketball player. We’re only getting something similar to what we got for Fournier (couple of 2nd rounders) at best for him.

Theres some rumors about VanVleet and Vegas has us as the highest odds to trade for him. I’m not sure I buy it, like it, or even have an idea of what the package would look like, but Fred would be the best shooter we’ve had in a long long time 

40 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

There’s pretty much zero legs to the Ross to LA or NY rumors IMO. Both teams are bad, he’s bad, if he gets dealt it’ll be to a contender taking a chance on him remembering how to be a useful basketball player. We’re only getting something similar to what we got for Fournier (couple of 2nd rounders) at best for him.

Theres some rumors about VanVleet and Vegas has us as the highest odds to trade for him. I’m not sure I buy it, like it, or even have an idea of what the package would look like, but Fred would be the best shooter we’ve had in a long long time 

I would give up Cole in a trade to Van Fleet. It's clear Cole wants to be a starter and he won't be here with his hero ball. I just don't know if Raptors would take him as the core of a trade. Also, I don't know if Van Fleet wants to be here. 

God I hope we don't trade for Fred VanVleet. He's having a terrible year, has a team option next season so is essentially a free agent at which point a 4 year deal will end when he's 33 years old and, anecdotally, it feels like shorter guards tend to decline at earlier ages.

9 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

God I hope we don't trade for Fred VanVleet. He's having a terrible year, has a team option next season so is essentially a free agent at which point a 4 year deal will end when he's 33 years old and, anecdotally, it feels like shorter guards tend to decline at earlier ages.

Agree, Van Fleet doesn't appear to fit the making of the Magic's future team.

4 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Agree, Van Fleet doesn't appear to fit the making of the Magic's future team.

At his age and his skill set as a role-playing shooter, I am assuming he would want to be traded to a contender for one more chance of the championship. Definitely would not be interested in coming to the magic

Fred was an undrafted player who made it. He got his bag and his ring. Both he and Gary Trent have player options, not team options. They are both rumored to be traded because of those options. However i think it's for opposite reasons. I think Toronto knows Gary will opt out and would love to keep paying him the same salary, but are worried he will test the free market. With Fred they are afraid he will opt in and he has shot 30% from 3 for almost a full season. Trading both makes sense if they get back flexibility or another future piece. 

If we wind up trading for Fred, i think it's more about consolidation. Fred has shot poorly lately, but obviously he could bounce back. He is a winner and more of a leader then some of our players. lastly it's about cost control, he would not be costly to trade for, plus we would probably know if he would opt in. If he opts in we know we have a lead guard who comes off the books when we have to extend Suggs and Wagner. He basically does everything Cole does but is a veteran. 

So hypothetical trade happens two ways. Let's say we are willing to part with Cole because we want the path clear for Suggs and don't want the hassle of extending him. 

Orlando Trades Cole,RJ and Bamba for Fred. Ok before you freak out about giving up so much, it's about the fit. RJ hasn't been playing because they knew they were trading him. Bamba is hard to give up on but he was always the odd man out. Cole i already said, don't want to pay him. This also opens up roster spots for us to add someone. If the players don't seem right there are other combos like Harris and Bamba or Ross, but i don't think anyone is trading for those two. Gary just can't stay healthy and Ross is filler. People will trade for them to free up space and lead a tank crew, that's it.

TL;DR. I think Toronto is a smart team and would gladly trade with us for a chance to see what they have in Cole and Bamba. I think it could benefit us as we finally get a vet and Bamba and Cole are too inconsistent with us and are not in the teams future. Neither team would be giving up draft capitol in the scenario. That is another big reason a trade like this could get done. Both teams giving up enough in value not to have to use draft picks.

• Upvote 1

So here's a question: I've seen a lot of people talk about how Jabari Smith doesn't fit with the Houston Rockets offense and that Houston wasn't even that high on him. 

I think Jabari works really well with what we want to do with length and complimentary shooting. 

Thoughts on in a season or so trading for him? Or hell, does a package of Cole/Bamba/someone else work before season's end? 

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

So here's a question: I've seen a lot of people talk about how Jabari Smith doesn't fit with the Houston Rockets offense and that Houston wasn't even that high on him. 

I think Jabari works really well with what we want to do with length and complimentary shooting. 

Thoughts on in a season or so trading for him? Or hell, does a package of Cole/Bamba/someone else work before season's end? 

I’d love that, but don’t think it’s a viable option right now. 

2 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I’m a pass. If anything, we need a guard.