Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

I don't want to call it an illusion, cause it seemed real that we were finally rolling... but in only a few days, we seem to be back to square 1. Really disappointing, hope to be back on track on 2023, cause hope is all we can have now. Having Isaac back would have been great to cover those suspensions, let's see if we can have him back in january, his defensive ability would be really useful in our forwards rotation.

40 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

after reading the info that JI contract has something happening 1/10/23 makes me realize we aren't seeing him till mid Jan.

I don’t think one has anything to do with the other here. His $ 17.4 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed on 1/10/23, if we cut him before that date his contract is only partially guaranteed for $16 million. Same kicker in his contract the next two years where if we cut him before 1/10/24 (assuming he’s still on the roster) he’s only partially guaranteed for $7.4 million; and his contract in the last year is unguaranteed if he’s cut before 1/10/25. 

4 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Happy New Magical Year everybody!!!  Hope all your Magic dreams come true.

Much love to y’all 

Amen, brother, and the same to you.

Happy New Year everybody!!!

Since we are starting a new year and at the same time almost half way through the season, it would be interesting to know what are your (realistic) wishes for our Orlando Magic in 2023?

I think we have seen a glimpse of how good our team can be during the winning trend just before Christmas, which has since then been somehow "erased" by the following poor performances and losses. Nevertheless, I have not been so much looking forward about our team for a long long while now and we shall let our young core aim to win every game (no tanking please) and continue to grow on the floor but I also think the FO still do some of their part and try to balance our roster and explore ways to fine-tune for the future.

So until the February deadline, my wish is that we take a flier on a talented young player still with "untapped potential" and that can complement our core players, like Cam Reddish from NYK or Brandon Boston Jr. from the LAC. Both these players are young (in line with the timeline of our core), talented and clearly out of the plans of their current teams which makes them easy to get, from what is rumoured of course.

I would say 2nd round pick(s) may be enough to do it but if not, as long as we can make salaries match, these teams may be proper partners in taking back what I consider are expendable players we have and even get some compensation for it (like Ross with his terminating contract or Okeke and Hampton with contract team options for next year). My preference would be Boston Jr. but with any of these 2, I think we would get a youngster that would not only fit in and complement our core of Fultz, Franz, Paolo and Wendell at the 2 or 3 position, but could also step up and do some of the scoring when these are in a bad day. And in the eventual case they fulfill their potential (a little bit like what we are seeing with Bol), I think they can become a part of our core. (not saying Bol is... at least yet, he needs to defend way better)

After that, I think we need to have a go for a guard who can play in a relative similar way of Fultz, i.e.: not only facilitating a lot the game to his colleagues but also be a driving force in the attack. Maybe Suggs will end up becoming it but I think we should still go out for a guard that can eventually fit in more easily into this role.

And for this, I would love that we put our eyes on Nickel Alexander-Walker, maybe via trade now but preferably via free agency during the summer. I think he can be that guy. He can fit in as a fantastic backup to Fultz or even play at the 2 and step up as a scorer, if needed. Adding to this, I am not fully convinced by Cole Anthony. Not only he is very streaky (like T.Ross) but mainly because I doubt he will accept to embrace the 6th-man role (for which I think he is perfect) and will push for a move sooner or later.

Sorry for the long text and let me know what you think.

PER CBS INJURY REPORT, THIS IS WHAT'S GOING ON WITH OUR INJURED PLAYERS:

JI's Knee -  Expected to be out until at least Jan 7 

Jalen's Ankle -  Game Time Decision 

Chuma's Knee -  Expected to be out until at least Jan 23 

With Suggs coming back soon, it’s time to sit or trade Ross. He’s not the kind of vet that’s helping to develop the young guys, and his minutes need to go Suggs, G Harris and even K Harris.

5 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

PER CBS INJURY REPORT, THIS IS WHAT'S GOING ON WITH OUR INJURED PLAYERS:

JI's Knee -  Expected to be out until at least Jan 7 

Jalen's Ankle -  Game Time Decision 

Chuma's Knee -  Expected to be out until at least Jan 23 

Isaac and Suggs were both full participants in practice today, according to Moseley. Wouldn’t put a timeline on when they’d be available, but sounds like it could be close

1 minute ago, Soul Bro said:

With Suggs coming back soon, it’s time to sit or trade Ross. He’s not the kind of vet that’s helping to develop the young guys, and his minutes need to go Suggs, G Harris and even K Harris.

I agree. It’s trade Ross for whatever we can get for him, and if we can’t get a deal done, buy him out after the deadline. 

On 1/1/2023 at 8:59 AM, JayMac said:

Happy New Year everybody!!!

Since we are starting a new year and at the same time almost half way through the season, it would be interesting to know what are your (realistic) wishes for our Orlando Magic in 2023?

I think we have seen a glimpse of how good our team can be during the winning trend just before Christmas, which has since then been somehow "erased" by the following poor performances and losses. Nevertheless, I have not been so much looking forward about our team for a long long while now and we shall let our young core aim to win every game (no tanking please) and continue to grow on the floor but I also think the FO still do some of their part and try to balance our roster and explore ways to fine-tune for the future.

So until the February deadline, my wish is that we take a flier on a talented young player still with "untapped potential" and that can complement our core players, like Cam Reddish from NYK or Brandon Boston Jr. from the LAC. Both these players are young (in line with the timeline of our core), talented and clearly out of the plans of their current teams which makes them easy to get, from what is rumoured of course.

I would say 2nd round pick(s) may be enough to do it but if not, as long as we can make salaries match, these teams may be proper partners in taking back what I consider are expendable players we have and even get some compensation for it (like Ross with his terminating contract or Okeke and Hampton with contract team options for next year). My preference would be Boston Jr. but with any of these 2, I think we would get a youngster that would not only fit in and complement our core of Fultz, Franz, Paolo and Wendell at the 2 or 3 position, but could also step up and do some of the scoring when these are in a bad day. And in the eventual case they fulfill their potential (a little bit like what we are seeing with Bol), I think they can become a part of our core. (not saying Bol is... at least yet, he needs to defend way better)

After that, I think we need to have a go for a guard who can play in a relative similar way of Fultz, i.e.: not only facilitating a lot the game to his colleagues but also be a driving force in the attack. Maybe Suggs will end up becoming it but I think we should still go out for a guard that can eventually fit in more easily into this role.

And for this, I would love that we put our eyes on Nickel Alexander-Walker, maybe via trade now but preferably via free agency during the summer. I think he can be that guy. He can fit in as a fantastic backup to Fultz or even play at the 2 and step up as a scorer, if needed. Adding to this, I am not fully convinced by Cole Anthony. Not only he is very streaky (like T.Ross) but mainly because I doubt he will accept to embrace the 6th-man role (for which I think he is perfect) and will push for a move sooner or later.

Sorry for the long text and let me know what you think.

Good thoughts. I respectfully disagree that we need to add more young talent. We have plenty of that. I’d like to see us trade for a vet role player that fits our guys’ timeline, somebody like Gary Trent, and make a run for the play-in. Also would be fine if we stood pat outside of seeing what draft capital we could get or improve for guys like Ross and Bamba who are probably gone next year no matter what. I think our biggest need is a Plumlee type big who we can bring in off the bench when Wendell sits that can keep up the interior defense and rebound. Bol and Bamba are shot blockers, but that doesn’t mean they’re good interior defenders.