All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

22 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

If the Raptors have interest in Bamba they could just resign Chris Boucher? 

Also the Bulls would be pretty funny with Vuc there. 

14 hours ago, JJZFL said:

That’s fair.  I hope your more optimistic take turns out to be correct.  I’d love to be excited about the team at the all-star break. +1 to your post for good luck.  

Key word was "a LITTLE more optimistic" :P

Seriously, there has to be a development. Individual one, and then from the team too, it's the basic expectation when you're so young. If that doesn't happen, would be really depressing and would question the coaching staff work too.

I'm not so optimistic to envision a playoff qualification, or even a tournament one, but we've seen stranger things before. Sometimes one team click together and BOOM. It's just a hope, but those guys seem to enjoy play together, and now we should be more healthy too. Definitely I don't want to see another season like last one.

Our cap space is interesting. Cap space is a kind of use it or lose it kind of deal considering extensions we'll be giving to people. We've also got the potential to have a lot of cap space next summer too though so I wonder if we'll try and keep any free agents we add to 1 year or 1+1 team option deals and overpay slightly. 

Realistically with 29 million in cap space plus the MLE we could add 3 high quality role players (or keep Bamba +2). So what we do is fascinating. What we can't do is nothing. If we're not going to add any free agents we should at least be looking to absorb any expiring deals for extra assets. 

I kind of wish we had gotten Alec Burks instead of Detroit. Big guard, basically does what Ross should be doing for us but not nearly as streaky. Had 3 straight years shooting the 3 over 40%. Nerlens Noel would basically be another Khem Birch for us, all he does is rebound and defend the basket. 

However here is the catch, i just checked. Both players 2023 year are team options. Absolutely brilliant move by the Pistons. Not only do they actually need those players to help them scratch out a few more wins, but they are super good trade chips at the deadline. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Our cap space is interesting. Cap space is a kind of use it or lose it kind of deal considering extensions we'll be giving to people. We've also got the potential to have a lot of cap space next summer too though so I wonder if we'll try and keep any free agents we add to 1 year or 1+1 team option deals and overpay slightly. 

Realistically with 29 million in cap space plus the MLE we could add 3 high quality role players (or keep Bamba +2). So what we do is fascinating. What we can't do is nothing. If we're not going to add any free agents we should at least be looking to absorb any expiring deals for extra assets. 

See, I also see this as long-term flexibility. We'll need to sign some of our young guys to bigger, better deals, and the last thing we want is to overpay someone on a 4 year deal (like Brunson) and then we over the cap when we extend our young core. 

If anything, I think we get dead weight - as Detroit did - along with draft picks from teams who want to go hard after free agents this season in a "win now" mode. That's what I hope we use it for. I'm doubtful we trade for a star or sign a big name free agent with the young guys we have whom need minutes. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Wow.

This could be a moment. Hard to believe not even the qualifying offer.  This almost always means a big free agent offer sheet. There is almost no downside to the qualifying offer unless you want maximum cap space. Heck i think they screw it up but i'm down for anything as long as they keep our own pick next year. 

Edit. I'm actually perplexed at this. It has to be to get max cap space.

It has to be Lavine, i just can't think of anything else. Oh god somebody on Reddit said Ayton maybe.. NO!

Alright forget about the big fish. Rumor is we have great interest in Hartenstein. Which makes sense, he is a more traditional center with great analytics and production in limited minutes. Better defender too. He just got priced out of the Clippers. He is German, meaning friends for the Wagners maybe, and closer to fly family back and forth from Europe.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Is a sign and trade much easier to accomplish if there isn't a Qualifying Offer? 

Yes that is still on the table since we have his bird rights.