CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

On 3/28/2022 at 11:34 AM, CTMagicUK said:

New Givony mock has 

1. Chet

2. Paolo

3. Jabari

I think this is where I'm at now. Jabari shooting 44% from 2 in college at 6'10 is massively worrying for me. I think there's a chance he's Ryan Anderson with defense. Which don't get me wrong that's a good player but not one I'm super hyped about taking top 3. 

Not sure his height is relevant since he's a perimeter player instead of a post player.  His efg% was 52.1%.  For comparison, Durant's first 4 years in the NBA were 45.1, 51.0, 51.4, and 50.9%.  He made a leap in year 5 at age 23 to 54.7%.

14 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I see the concerns with a player being too skinny, but I’ve learned to judge each player individually. Some players might just not have the required heart and determination like Mo Bamba, but I think Chet is going to be a good one

Yup, he'll be great company for JI on the rehab bench. The first time LeBron runs him over he'll be out for 43 games, come back and be great for 15 games, then someone else will run him over. If we get 1st pick we should have a trade down and get a top 6 and an unprotected 2023 from somebody. If we pick him and keep him, check ebay for all my awesome Magic gear because I will be DONE!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 3/28/2022 at 1:25 PM, Soul Bro said:

I really wish I loved at least one of these guys. I just don’t this year.

We better learn to love them because it’s costing us a lot of negative development of our current group of young players and another lost season to have a shot at one of them.  

2 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Not sure his height is relevant since he's a perimeter player instead of a post player.  His efg% was 52.1%.  For comparison, Durant's first 4 years in the NBA were 45.1, 51.0, 51.4, and 50.9%.  He made a leap in year 5 at age 23 to 54.7%.

I... I don't really know what to say to the idea that height isn't relevant to scoring inside the arc...

The NBA eFG numbers of an all time great player also don't soothe my concerns.

13 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Honestly screw it just draft AJG. Dude is a 6'6 bundle of muscle and length who just had an all time great freshman season as a shooter. 

At least with Griffin you look to be getting a tough kid with and an elite skill. I’d be down with him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Yup, he'll be great company for JI on the rehab bench. The first time LeBron runs him over he'll be out for 43 games, come back and be great for 15 games, then someone else will run him over. If we get 1st pick we should have a trade down and get a top 6 and an unprotected 2023 from somebody. If we pick him and keep him, check ebay for all my awesome Magic gear because I will be DONE!

You are fun !!!

latest Wasserman mock has Jabari #1

The 2022 draft will start with Jabari Smith, Paolo Banchero and Chet Holmgren ranked No. 1 on different boards across the league. It's a rare situation wherein three players may have an equal chance to be picked first (depending on the lottery results), and not because the class is missing an obvious star like in 2013.

It sounds like confidence in Holmgren has wavered a bit, at least for a No. 1 pick. Chalk it up to lingering fear about his frame (7'0", 195 lbs) but also a complementary skill set that leaves him more reliant on teammates and vulnerable to quiet offensive stretches. Smith and Banchero are better suited for lead-scoring roles.

Banchero has Duke in the Final Four after averaging 18.5 points through four NCAA tournament games. He's taken over key stretches with confident shot-making and self-creation while also getting teammates involved throughout games. It's worth questioning his iso-heavy game, ball-stopping tendencies, defensive motor and why he's fourth on the Blue Devils in box plus-minus.

We're still guessing Smith has an edge at No. 1 despite his 3-of-16 dud in a loss to Miami. It shouldn't affect his stock and projection after the season he had. It brought back memories of Franz Wagner's 1-of-10 showing during Michigan's departure from last year's NCAA tournament. The Orlando Magic are presumably thrilled they didn't overthink that single performance.

Still 18 years old, Smith just became the only freshman 6'10" or taller to make 70 three-pointers and 100 free throws. NBA teams view his elite shooting skill and defensive versatility as a translatable, valued combination. Throw in his age and room for growth, recent rebounding and passing and reputable character, and Smith may have the most going for him.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2954800-2022-nba-mock-draft-full-2-round-predictions-ahead-of-final-four

6 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Which player or players on this draft has the best tools to crack the starting line-up? Assume that JI is healthy and none from the current roster is traded. 

15 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Which player or players on this draft has the best tools to crack the starting line-up? Assume that JI is healthy and none from the current roster is traded. 

Probably Chet/Jabari at the 4, I’m sorry, I’m not creative enough to assume a healthy JI, and even if he is, he hasn’t played competitive basketball in 2 years.

Also, honorable mention to Jaden Ivey at the 2.

I’m confident that Wendell, Franz, Markelle is our core going forward and we’ll see where the rest of the pieces fit around them.

Right now I'm on the Smith, Griffin, Sharpe and Ivey train. The first two bring elite shooting, and the second two are rumored to bring high attack/athletic games. I've already stated my concerns with Chet and Paulo.

18 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Probably Chet/Jabari at the 4, I’m sorry, I’m not creative enough to assume a healthy JI, and even if he is, he hasn’t played competitive basketball in 2 years.

Also, honorable mention to Jaden Ivey at the 2.

I’m confident that Wendell, Franz, Markelle is our core going forward and we’ll see where the rest of the pieces fit around them.

The future of Jaden Ivey in paper (stats, etc) and in real games looks too impressive not to add him to this Magic team, who "supposedly / is almost there" to  start to competing 100% against everybody in the league.

The whole NBA (all teams) is leaning more and more to play small ball as much as possible and for as long as possible during games...........Small Ball = " PG, SG and SF"

ARE THERE ENOUGH MINUTES FOR JADEN (20 YRS OLD), IF DRAFTED, considering the "small ball" players under contract for next year / years?

T. Ross - 31 - signed thru 2022/23, his last contract year

Markelle - 23 -  signed thru 2022/23 and only $2,000,000 guaranteed for 2023/24.  Contract becomes fully guaranteed if not waived by June 30, 2023.

Jalen Suggs - 21 - signed thru 2024/25

Cole - 22  - signed thru 2023/24

RJ - 21 - signed thru 2023/24

Franz - 21 - signed thru 2024/25