CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

41 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

No matter who we pick by or where we pick, for any of them to develop into a number one option kind of guy they will be an outlier. Guys who come in with those skills are outliers. It’s the name of the game. On some level it is about picking who has the biggest head start or the best traits to help along that development 

In my opinion the biggest head start towards being a #1 option is Paolo. Doesn't have the strength issues of Chet, already has a solid handle for his size, great post player, great midrange scorer, great passer. 

Kevin O Connor has posted his mock for The Ringer. Just don't read his "Shades of" sections they're terrible.

Here are Jabari's shades of: Two-way Rashard Lewis, Taller Harrison Barnes, Michael Porter Jr.

Here are Chet's: Gen Z Pau Gasol, Rudy Gobert with perimeter skills

Here are Jaden Iveys: Donovan Mitchell, Jumbo Darius Garland, Victor Oladipo

Id argue that if you knew nothing about the prospects and saw those 3 you'd probably rank them Ivey, Chet (or Chet, Ivey depending on how highly you rate the idea of Rudy Gobert with perimeter skills) then Jabari but that's the entirely opposite order to how they appear in the mock. 

(He has us picking Jabari at 1)

Edit: to be clear his Jabari comps aren't that bad in my opinion, I've made the Porter Jr one myself I just don't understand how you can give someone those comps and have him as the #1 prospect whilst giving a guard picked 4 places later a bunch of All Star guards as comps. 

We can get similar value at 2,3,4,5,6 …that we could at one …we are not gonna get the number 1 pick every year …we have to use the advantages that come along with getting the number 1 to gather as many assets as possible …I’m not even a business man but I can see that lol .

Sorry if I sound like a broken record but I’m gonna be very disappointed if we just make our pick at 1 and do nothing else ….we are at rock bottom of the league …we have to do something to accelerate our growth as a team and franchise …12 straight years of futility wears on you .

17 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

So it begins......

Yup and this says alot about this draft as well. Nuggets have been amazing drafting players this whole decade. If they are targeting two late round guys you know this draft is deep. We better be making the same kind of moves.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Nice video, helps getting the hype going. Yeah Jabari has enough upside to be the best player. I'll be happy if he is the pick. Kid is just so long and fluid as an 18 year old. Miles ahead of the projects we have taken in the past. Still think Banchero will look better sooner but Smith Jr. just has something about him. So long and just has that look of a guy who wants to be the man. 

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

We can get similar value at 2,3,4,5,6 …that we could at one …we are not gonna get the number 1 pick every year …we have to use the advantages that come along with getting the number 1 to gather as many assets as possible …I’m not even a business man but I can see that lol .

Sorry if I sound like a broken record but I’m gonna be very disappointed if we just make our pick at 1 and do nothing else ….we are at rock bottom of the league …we have to do something to accelerate our growth as a team and franchise …12 straight years of futility wears on you .

I agree with the premise.  The problem is you have to have one of those clubs at 2-6 think they will get way more value at #1 in order to make that move.

If we have to stay at #1, Chet's probably my guy based upon some version of Dirk with exceptional rim protection.  Pairing him with Carter, (a healthy) JI and Okeke gives us a pretty good 4 man big rotation.  

If 2-6 are willing to make the trade, I want Shaedon.

Im wondering maybe if Chet actually got to show everything he can do in his lone year at Gonzaga. He shared the floor with a 2 time consensus all American, a senior PG who's about to get drafted, a wing who's gone back to school but will probably get drafted in the next two years and a solid senior transfer. He didn't ever need to do more than be an elite rim protector and fit in on offense.

I'm not saying it'll be as drastic as this but I always think about KAT and how he only shot 8 3s in college but turned out to be one of the greatest shooting big men ever. I could see Chet having skills we've only seen glimpses of. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm going to be sad if we draft Chet, but I'm willing to trust this front office. We know they were aiming for Barnes and Wagner and what a draft that would he been if everything had fallen their way. 

Okeke and Cole were value picks at 15 and 16 (not many players better than them they could have picked), so I won't fault them there. 

I trust this FO to make the right decision. I'm just hoping they get it right.