CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

11 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

For context. Against 5 bad teams that didn't have a single player over 6'6. Still impressive numbers but yeah, easy when you're shooting over the top of small college players.

Sure. But he's still got to do it. And shooting over 60% from 3 is impressive regardless of who you're playing. Even more so when you're a 7 footer. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

AJ Griffin with a 2 pt game tonight in a loss. 

Banchero only took one shot in the second half. It was the last second desperation shot.

On 2/7/2022 at 1:10 PM, crisby pancakes said:

Suggs, Fultz, Cole and Harris are not wings. RJ hasn't shown he deserves minutes and Ross has no future on this team. Orlando needs quality picks in any and every position. . . 

I think when using terms like wing you are generally defined by who one guards, and Suggs absolutely will guard other wings. Hampton too probably but he seems mostly a bench guy so not sure it matters. 

In any case, I would say the one position on the team where we do have a player for the long term is on the wing is Franz

4 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

I think when using terms like wing you are generally defined by who one guards, and Suggs absolutely will guard other wings. Hampton too probably but he seems mostly a bench guy so not sure it matters. 

In any case, I would say the one position on the team where we do have a player for the long term is on the wing is Franz

Already said RJ wasn't relevant and already said occasional switching to guard a wing doesnt make you a wing . . . . .  All players will end up having to switch on a number of posessions per game that's the modern NBA, so yes, Suggs will occasionally guard wings, it doesn't make him one though. He spends his time guarding the opposition PG when not on court with Cole and he has no offensive game at all to be useful out on the wing. He's an absolute disaster offensively which is actually concerning as he was meant to be the most NBA ready player out the top 5.

The only player you can class as a 'proper' wing is Franz. As stated prior, the FO will pick a SF if they feel that's the best pick when they go on the clock to draft. They're not going to pick for need which is the point I was originally making.

11 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Sure. But he's still got to do it. And shooting over 60% from 3 is impressive regardless of who you're playing. Even more so when you're a 7 footer. 

Yeah I said the numbers were good. But context was definitely needed. I just worry about his game holding up in the NBA when his height advantage disappears and he has to deal with stronger more athletic players at the 4/5. He does not look like he has a frame that will fill out and like a few other posters on here, it worries me a lot!

In other news, did you guys know AJ Griffin is the son of Adrian, the former player and respected assistant coach? Thus, AJ comes from a really strong leadership (basketball) tree. Additionally, did you know he pretty much missed his last two years of high school ball due to injury, which is why he went a bit under the radar? All interesting to me. I’m not sure he’s an all around stud, but he’s a really deadly shooter.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 1:07 PM, Soul Bro said:

I’m scouting Smith today. Lol. Dude looks so passive at times.

He’s probably my #1 but from what I’ve seen (which is likely less than others on here) he seems to just be content taking long jumpers. I know his efficiency has been great, but I’d like to see him get to rim a little more

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2022 at 6:36 PM, O_SteveO said:

He’s probably my #1 but from what I’ve seen (which is likely less than others on here) he seems to just be content taking long jumpers. I know his efficiency has been great, but I’d like to see him get to rim a little more

I've watched two games of his and the man is ultra-passive. Reminds me of Andrew Wiggins, where at KU, he was seen as the all-but-guaranteed #1 pick for following year but was unbelievably passive at times, showing ultra-athleticism but waiting for the ball to come to him and not creating his own shot often when he easily could. He lacked the "alpha" his athleticism would allow for him embody, and I worry the same will be the case of Jabri Smith. 

It's about time to start picking up draft discussions. March madness coming up. I do not follow college basketball very closely. However i read about it just like you guys. It seems this year there is no pre-season or in season generational slam dunk talent like Davis,Duncan,Towns,Oneal,Zion, Etc. Almost all undisputed guys are big men. This year the challengers are Smith,Banchero,Chet. Maybe with the tournament we will see one of them rise to that level, but the facts are all of them seem a bit flawed. Obviously there are no high school guys like Lebron or Garnett this year. I mean no all timers. And finally not any superstar in season guys so far like Anthony two years ago or Trea. Maybe Ivey is starting to be that guy.

In short it looks like last years draft. Tons of talent but debatable who the best guy is. I have a feeling that Chet is going to wind up a Magician. It just feels inevitable. So any guys that could still emerge? 

Edit for fun.

Orlando Magic starting 5 in 2022. Chet,Bol Bol,Isaac and Bamba. Cole at the 1 just for the pure comedy of seeing him next to the others.