jmmagicfan

2021 Off-Season Discussion Thread

43 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

On a separate note altogether, training camp starts tomorrow.  Not sure why it starts on a Tuesday; do they have an event if some sort today?  Anyway, the season is getting closer, it will be time to retire this thread in a few weeks.  

Today’s media day

1 hour ago, FanSinceTmac said:

"The NBA told teams that visiting clubs are exempt from the New York and San Francisco requirements."

https://www.nba.com/news/knicks-organization-fully-vaccinated-can-comply-with-nyc-covid-19-mandate

I'm not entirely sure but everything I have seen says it will not apply to road players. 

I'm all for vaccinations, and I think people who are unvaccinated are generally misinformed focusing on extreme outliers of bad reactions to it that get amplified to these crowds on what is a 99%+ net good for people and society as a whole. 

With that being said, this is a non-issue as he won't miss any games due to his unvaccinated status and the only real issue here is that he could be out for a sustained period of time if he gets it vs. if he were vaccinated. Adam Silver won't make a vaccine mandate (wouldn't be good for NBA image to take a stand overall), so this is a non-issue outside of the normal fears of him getting "long term injured" yet again. 

On 9/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, Guy Incognito said:

Oh yeah, I take for granted being a park player coz my 3pt % last year was 40% which is good for a Slasher build. Still, I'll never truly get used to lag. 

And yes I'm an Isaac fan boy. I think his game is everything I wish I could've been as a basketball player. Defense and rebounding first but still somewhat of an offensive bag and spot up shooting. I just never grew into my giant feet and I absolutely cannot dribble relatively speaking. 

But anyway yes there's really no point in complaining. It's not like they're listening to our feedback. Although it seemed like Otis was lmao.

I low key liked Otis. He built up that 2009 team, and while his response to the Finals loss wasn't great, I loved everything he did leading up to that. He built it back up the right way.

• Upvote 1

On 9/25/2021 at 8:28 PM, J-Mac said:

So if Isaac decides to not be vaccinated he is putting the people who are vaccinated at risk?

Yes.

The unvaccinated are why the virus has been allowed to continue spreading and mutating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Franchise408 said:

Yes.

The unvaccinated are why the virus has been allowed to continue spreading and mutating.

The great majority of the unvaccinated aren’t in the US.  Delta started in India, for example.  

16 hours ago, MagicTurk said:

If a variant becomes so deadly that your not safe at any age even with the vaccine, us blaming Jon Issac and other non-vax does no good in that situation. At that point you shut down the NBA season...you shut everything down. I think Biden is pitting us to hate the un-vax for 2022 elections.

There are a number of deadly viruses out there that we have vaccines for and not everyone takes those vaccines because of religious or auto-immune reasons. Why is COVID any differant? Those viruses are just as deadly. I am vaccinated for COVID, anthrax and Small pox. Most of the population does not have the anthrax or Small pox vaccine. If there were an outbreak of those two deadlier viruses than I wouldn't blame an unvax small pox person if they got me sick with a variant.

You get a vaccine to protect you! There will not be 100% getting the vaccine. There never was before and it won't happen with the Covid vaccine, we just need to accept it and move on. The saber rattling is to divide, scare and get you to the polls in 2022.  I support getting the vaccine, but I also support anyone's choice not to get it. Issac is still the best player on this team! If he plays well I don't care if he sits out a few games because of a religious belief. If he starts to suck or gets injured we move on. 

You do it for other people, not yourself. I don't care about "the polls".If you don't want to follow the rules, start your own basketball league.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

The great majority of the unvaccinated aren’t in the US.  Delta started in India, for example.  

Yes, that is true, Delta did start in India; however, it has rapidly become the primary variant here in the US because 1) it is much more contagious than the original variant, and 2) the large number of people here in the US who were, and remain unvaccinated have given it a ready base of those to infect. While it is true that those who are vaccinated CAN contract the disease, most of the resulting infections are much less virulent. That is why 90+% of those requiring hospitalization/ICU rooms for Covid are those who were unvaccinated. And while there is always a portion of the population who CAN NOT be vaccinated (children below a certain age, and certain adults who are immuno-compromised) we have managed to derail and eradicate other pandemic diseases by mandating that those who can take the vaccine do so. The main difference is that in the past, we have not had politicians (and others) spreading incorrect/alternate "facts" across an information superhighway, and making vaccination and mask wearing into such politically divisive issues. This is not the flu, which in a bad year may kill 60-70,000 people, this is a pandemic that is both much more contagious (4-5X more), and much more virulent (8-10X the mortality rate). This isn't just about one player, or one person; it is about a reckless disregard for the entire community. 

Frankly, if Isaac comes down with an extended case of COVID (a la Bamba), I hope management will take drastic steps to financially punish him for this recklessness and poor decision; up to and including voiding his contract. Bamba did not have a choice to take a vaccine that might have prevented him getting ill, or mitigated the length of his recovery, so I don't hold any of that against him. Isaac does.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Yes, that is true, Delta did start in India; however, it has rapidly become the primary variant here in the US because 1) it is much more contagious than the original variant, and 2) the large number of people here in the US who were, and remain unvaccinated have given it a ready base of those to infect. While it is true that those who are vaccinated CAN contract the disease, most of the resulting infections are much less virulent. That is why 90+% of those requiring hospitalization/ICU rooms for Covid are those who were unvaccinated. And while there is always a portion of the population who CAN NOT be vaccinated (children below a certain age, and certain adults who are immuno-compromised) we have managed to derail and eradicate other pandemic diseases by mandating that those who can take the vaccine do so. The main difference is that in the past, we have not had politicians (and others) spreading incorrect/alternate "facts" across an information superhighway, and making vaccination and mask wearing into such politically divisive issues. This is not the flu, which in a bad year may kill 60-70,000 people, this is a pandemic that is both much more contagious (4-5X more), and much more virulent (8-10X the mortality rate). This isn't just about one player, or one person; it is about a reckless disregard for the entire community. 

Frankly, if Isaac comes down with an extended case of COVID (a la Bamba), I hope management will take drastic steps to financially punish him for this recklessness and poor decision; up to and including voiding his contract. Bamba did not have a choice to take a vaccine that might have prevented him getting ill, or mitigated the length of his recovery, so I don't hold any of that against him. Isaac does.

I was only responding to the point being made about mutation.  Even if everyone in the US were vaccinated, most of the people in the world aren’t, so it wouldn’t measurably change the risk of new mutations.  

Regarding Bamba, none of us know enough about his medical information to draw any conclusions.  There were major concerns about his intensity and “motor” well before Covid.  

The mortality rate for Covid cannot be compared to that for influenza without some qualification for age.  Below 20 for example, influenza actually has a higher mortality rate.  For young adults, it’s probably about the same.  Where Covid really becomes lethal is in the elderly.  

• Upvote 1

There was a palpable excitement and energy with the young guys today.  Yeah we will probably not win many games this year but I'm stoked to see these guys hit the court. They seem to have great chemistry already.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

Not sure why but I am quite excited for this season more than previous maybe because of a fresh start and a lot of what if's 

I hope you are right.  For the first time in awhile, I’m kind of dreading this season.  I really hope it doesn’t become Jacque Vaughn II.  

15 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I hope you are right.  For the first time in awhile, I’m kind of dreading this season.  I really hope it doesn’t become Jacque Vaughn II.  

I never thought of that comparison, but Mosley does now give me Jacque Vaughn vibes when thinking about their backgrounds and demeanors. Uh oh...