CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

6 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I don’t care one iota what the so called experts predict. I have been watching the nba and college for over forty years and my opinion is that Ayo is a baller and is definitely a top ten player in this draft. You can like whoever u like. But to keep on repeating what the clowns have on their bs draft boards is foolish imo. They have proven to be wrong so many times it’s quite ridiculous to even care what they spit out. 

I respect your affection for Ayo. Plenty of experts have proven the fool over the years. It's going to be interesting.

3 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

Kuminga and Keon Johnson 

I like both of these players more then most on here.  And hey if we are not going to be good the next couple of years we might as well be fun to watch!

3 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

I like both of these players more then most on here.  And hey if we are not going to be good the next couple of years we might as well be fun to watch!

Kuminga can’t shoot and questionable feel for the game. It isn’t going to be exciting. It’s going to be ugly.

10 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

They are 100% going to be fun to watch, to be the size kuminga is and to move like that sheesh 

6 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Kuminga can’t shoot and questionable feel for the game. It isn’t going to be exciting. It’s going to be ugly.

He is only 18 and his shot doesn't look that bad.  Uber athletic and finishes well with both hands.  He has questionable shot selection at times but that can be fixed.  

3 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

He is only 18 and his shot doesn't look that bad.  Uber athletic and finishes well with both hands.  He has questionable shot selection at times but that can be fixed.  

No that really isn’t something you can fix. Feel the game is something natural that you show throughout high school. It’s what separates the good from the role players.

Hes going to be a good athlete with some dunk highlights but he’s not going to win you any games. 

1 hour ago, harley said:

Just take Kuminga. Drafting is about upside, he has the highest upside in draft. We’re rebuilding. It’s a no brainer. I’d take him at 2 behind Cade

The upside is tied to him being able to develop an outside shot. At the minute he hasn’t got that in his armoury, and while it is possible he could develop an outside shot, it would be another example of us taking someone that can’t shoot and pinning our hopes on him developing that facet of his game.

Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac were both drafted with lots of upside, but neither player has developed a consistent outside shot, and neither are number one options. Kuminga strikes me as a similar player, but where they have the advantage is they were/are superior defensive players.

Kuminga is just an unappealing pick, but I can see him or Barnes being the guy at five.

7 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

Isaac and Gordon both showed a fair stroke in college, yet neither player has developed into consistent shooters and are unlikely to become prolific outside shooters.

Sometimes players can develop their shooting, and shot selection can improve with age and experience, but there are more examples of players that don’t. 

The way this team has been built in recent years I’d like to see us try to draft players that can shoot and score, rather than pin our hopes on fixing and improving their shooting. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

They are 100% going to be fun to watch, to be the size kuminga is and to move like that sheesh 

I guess he could provide a highlight reel with dunking and attacking the rim, but the rest of his game is unlikely to be fun to watch or develop to the extent that would see him become a star. 

4 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

Isaac and Gordon both showed a fair stroke in college, yet neither player has developed into consistent shooters and are unlikely to become prolific outside shooters.

Sometimes players can develop their shooting, and shot selection can improve with age and experience, but there are more examples of players that don’t. 

The way this team has been built in recent years I’d like to see us try to draft players that can shoot and score, rather than pin our hopes on fixing and improving their shooting. 

So what.  Just because Isaac and Gordon didn't that doesn't automatically mean Kuminga won't.  Who else are you drafting at 5 that as you say can shoot and score?

1 minute ago, og magic fan said:

So what.  Just because Isaac and Gordon didn't that doesn't automatically mean Kuminga won't.  Who else are you drafting at 5 that as you say can shoot and score?

No one which is why you have some really disappointed Magic fans right now.

Absolutely gutted when I woke up to find out we had dropped to #5. Then went into a panic not knowing if the Bulls pick was one of those that jumped into the top 4 to then being relieved that we at least still have that. FO did what they could to give us the best odds possible, feels like as a franchise we are cursed by the lottery gods.

Finding it pretty hard to be remotely positive. It's a clear 4 man draft and we're once again one pick away. Almost everyone in consideration for 5-8 is severely lacking on the offensive end, I've said from day one that I want no part of Kuminga, I want a basketball player not an athlete. If there's any chance of moving up and picking Green with our two firsts on draft day then they need to do it. I know there will probably be a few players outside those first 4 that do end up being all star caliber players and suprise everyone but I just don't see it with the players projected in the 5-8 range. I'm a sad panda today.