Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic @ Raptors - Monday, Oct. 28th at 7:30 P.M.

10 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

How is it at the expense of the team when we've won all of the minutes in every game that he's played?

Who's to say we don't win them even bigger with Birch on the floor? Besides, you just acknowledged yourself that its likely more a coincidence than anything else and that Birch is probably the better player at the moment

1 hour ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I think people who want Bamba benched are missing the point. 

You develop players by giving them minutes. 

He makes mistakes but not enough to be detrimental to the overall play of the lineups. Like I said before, if he was unplayable he wouldn't be a net positive every single game. He wouldn't be leading the team in opponent field goal percentage while he's on the court. 

I'm not arguing Bamba is good, he's not. These positive signs are mostly from other guys doing stuff. But if he was that bad that he was unplayable the lineups on the court wouldn't be positive. Whatever mistakes he's making aren't detrimental enough that they effect overall team play. 

Is Bamba strictly a 5, or could we play him somewhere else?  He might not have the quickness yet to move his feet and prevent penetration, but with his long arms, he probably could recover and still block shots - if he kept his energy level up. 

2 minutes ago, Just a regular Magic fan said:

Is Bamba strictly a 5, or could we play him somewhere else?  He might not have the quickness yet to move his feet and prevent penetration, but with his long arms, he probably could recover and still block shots - if he kept his energy level up. 

He's purely a 5

34 minutes ago, magicblue said:

You'd have to define significant, but our record over the last third of the season is my evidence and the eye test that his energy is contagious, because you could see how it fired up this squad.

What evidence do we have that shows our record or defensive performance would’ve been different if Bamba didn’t get injured and got those minutes instead of Birch? There’s a lot of other reasons that we went on our run aside from Bamba getting injured.

Not saying you’re biased or that you’re unable to be objective or anything like that, but the eye test opens yourself to arbitrary biases and conclusions that aren’t entirely objective. I see the same things you’re seeing, but until I see data that actually supports the idea that Birch’s performance outweighs Bamba’s performance and potential development, I don’t see the benefit of putting in Birch.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 3rd Quarter Collapse said:

What evidence do we have that shows our record or defensive performance would’ve been different if Bamba didn’t get injured and got those minutes instead of Birch? There’s a lot of other reasons that we went on our run aside from Bamba getting injured.

Not saying you’re biased or that you’re unable to be objective or anything like that, but the eye test opens yourself to arbitrary biases and conclusions that aren’t entirely objective. I see the same things you’re seeing, but until I see data that actually supports the idea that Birch’s performance outweighs Bamba’s performance and potential development, I don’t see the benefit of putting in Birch.

That's fair. At the very least, it would be interesting to see how (or if) the team responded to Khem getting some minutes. I mean you can't deny he played a role in our run last year. Last night could have been a decent opportunity for that, although Isaac at C was a success

My biggest concern is Bamba! AG has to figure out that he is Draymont instead of LEBRON and if he can’t come to terms With that then trade him. Bamba has looked slow reacting like a sloth since day 1, it’s his motor or lack of. I’m not sure that is something you can change you are either high energy type or not. 

16 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

My biggest concern is Bamba! AG has to figure out that he is Draymont instead of LEBRON and if he can’t come to terms With that then trade him. Bamba has looked slow reacting like a sloth since day 1, it’s his motor or lack of. I’m not sure that is something you can change you are either high energy type or not. 

I am concerned with AG as any, and I wonder what he worked on this summer. He has shown virtually no improvement at all. Maybe at the Kobi camp, they filled him up with bad advice and gave him unrealistic expectations about where he should be in the league. Right now,  I think it's a matter of him just pressing and looking for an official's call when he drives to the basket instead of just playing basketball. I believe he, along with Vooch and Ross, will settle down, get their second wind, and I am guessing the upcoming home stretch will help us get back on track. 

I don't see how swapping Bamba out for Birch changes anything. Bambas performance had zero impact on us winning or losing last nights game. You have to give Bamba minutes throughout this season to see if he can figure things out. Giving his minutes to Birch is going to have little to no impact on our win loss record. Birch is already what he is, 27, an undersized, ok defensive centre with very limited offensive capability.

I have my doubts as to whether Bamba becomes anything but benching him for Birch is pointless. I like Birch, he's a high character guy but if anyone in the league valued him as a reserve center then he would be gone. The fact he ended up having to re-sign and be told he would be at the end of the bench if he did re-sign shows that no one wanted him for back up minutes. If Vooch goes down then I think he will pick up the starter minutes with Bamba staying on the bench but in general terms for Bamba, he has to be given minutes over Birch imo.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

We're better at rebounding with Bamba in the game

You yourself said we’re dealing with sample sizes that are too small. Bamba looks awful from the eye ball test. Yes, he needs minutes for improvement, but I see a lack of consistent hustle and positioning, which is a big concern to me. 

3 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I'm sure he is. Today. 

We're not playing for October 29th though. 

this is one reason why we are losing. 

Plus, our bad shot making. 

13 minutes ago, LaVar said:

this is one reason why we are losing. 

Plus, our bad shot making. 

No. We're losing because Gordon, Ross, and Vucevic are playing poorly and Fournier is worse defensively than he was last year

2 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

No. We're losing because Gordon, Ross, and Vucevic are playing poorly and Fournier is worse defensively than he was last year

Too early to say but hoping Ross and Vuc's last year performances do not turn out to be "contract year" performances.  I projected us at 2-1 or 3-0 at this point.  Good news is that we can say we have room for improvement.