Odin

Trade Thread

12 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I like Smith as much as guys projected at 7th

There are several FA PGs this summer who we wouldn't have to give up an asset for, just cap space. I'd rather upgrade the position via free agency and keep the pick. If Dallas can get a lotto first from some other team, have at it, but I think we're bidding against ourselves if we do that for a player Rick Carlisle is giving up on midway through his second season. 

9 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

There are several FA PGs this summer who we wouldn't have to give up an asset for, just cap space. I'd rather upgrade the position via free agency and keep the pick. If Dallas can get a lotto first from some other team, have at it, but I think we're bidding against ourselves if we do that for a player Rick Carlisle is giving up on midway through his second season. 

They're giving up because he doesn't fit. This is not an indication of his ability or potential. 

4 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

Keeping the pick limits our cap space. 

The value of the pick isn't just getting dsj. It's getting a starting point guard for two years at 5 million per and his restricted free agent rights going forward from there. And it provides additional freedom going forward. 

There's value there. And value in certainty in the prospect you're getting. 

But yeah, you're right. You gotta make sure you're taking the long approach to this. I just hate this draft. 

I see some speculation that DJ might be included in a potential trade with DAL. Personally, I'm not interested in that at all. Briscoe may well end up being a serviceable back up, but he's far from proven. Getting DSJ while losing DJ isn't really an upgrade for our rotation, at least for this season. DSJ could end up being good, but we already know what DJ is and how important he is for the team.

Got to find a way to make that trade happen and keep DJ and allow DSJ to run with the second unit and add some firepower.

Just now, TheNameIsOrlando said:

They're giving up because he doesn't fit. This is not an indication of his ability or potential. 

Also that he's a little pissed he's not being used right. 

Smith can play off ball fine. But he's not someone you exclusively play off ball. And doncic is getting harden usage on ball. 

1 minute ago, rekraprovert said:

I see some speculation that DJ might be included in a potential trade with DAL. Personally, I'm not interested in that at all. Caupain may well end up being a serviceable back up, but he's far from proven. Getting DSJ while losing DJ isn't really an upgrade for our rotation, at least for this season. DSJ could end up being good, but we already know what DJ is and how important he is for the team.

Got to find a way to make that trade happen and keep DJ and allow DSJ to run with the second unit and add some firepower.

I think Dallas would like dj but there's not really a great way to incorporate him into the trade given his money. Putting dj into the deal starts to include too many players as you try to match money. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think Dallas would like dj but there's not really a great way to incorporate him into the trade given his money. Putting dj into the deal starts to include too many players as you try to match money. 

Hope that's the case. Also, I meant Briscoe, not Caupain.

1 minute ago, magicblue said:

If we make a deal for DSJ does he start or does DJ hold down the starting position for the remainder if this season?

I think we definitely keep DJ in the SL. I think DSJ coming off the bench will be ideal while he learns our system. He could run the point or even move over to SG and play with Briscoe, pushing Ross to the 3.