The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The problem with Russell is he's just got a really low bball iq. He makes really dumb decisions with the ball. He can pass in the sense that he can make all the passes you'd want a point guard to make but he doesn't always make the right pass. 

If we can get him for something inconsequential I'm for it. But I'm not really comfortable investing in him. 

Yea he makes some dumb plays for sure. But then he will make a pass where your jaw drops. But then he clunks a 3 off the front of the rim. But then he hits 4 threes in a row. 

He’s for sure inconsistent. But I think there’s a good basketball player there. 

Im with you I wouldn’t give up a ton for him no way but I would do a protected pick and a player like Simmons. 

I just want a young PG that has some upside. I’m willing to take a slight gamble to try to find one. I want Russell or Wright. Either or. But they fit in with what we have and our time frame. 

I don’t think we should continue to trade for hopefuls or 2nd options. We need to get some legit talent in here. It’s the common denominator since Dwight left. We need an star. Period.

7 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I don’t think we should continue to trade for hopefuls or 2nd options. We need to get some legit talent in here. It’s the common denominator since Dwight left. We need an star. Period.

Yea but that’s so much easier said then done. What stars are lining up to play for the Magic right now? Of course we all want that. Would I rather have Kemba over Russ or Wright? Yes. For sure. But there’s probably like a 4% chance of us getting someone like that.

Maybe for once we could trade for someone like a Russell or Wright or anyone else whose younger and hasn’t lived up to expectations and then they break out for us. We need a break like that where someone exceeds expectations. That’s far more likely then Klay Thompson or Kemba Walker walking through the door. 

I’m just being realistic. A lot of times we act like players want to play here. Hell I remember a couple years ago there were people that said they wouldn’t want to sign Derozan on here. Like we would be lucky enough to have a player of that caliber even want to play here.

There’s a reason we couldn’t afford to let someone like AG walk. Yea he’s not great but on the off chance he ends up an all-star we can’t afford to have another Dipo situation. 

I don’t think we are a terrible free agent destination, we really aren’t. But with the super team era of the nba it’s harder than ever.  

9 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Every time a Star becomes available we say something like "can't trade for the star because he won't stay here because we have to gut the roster to get him. It's not the right time to make a win now move" or "that star is too old"

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

The problem with Russell is he's just got a really low bball iq. He makes really dumb decisions with the ball. He can pass in the sense that he can make all the passes you'd want a point guard to make but he doesn't always make the right pass. 

If we can get him for something inconsequential I'm for it. But I'm not really comfortable investing in him. 

What influence does a coach like Clifford have on that aspect though? He's had Walton and Atkinson(whoever that is). 

I think I'm on the Russell bandwagon. Would easily be the best PG we have had here in years. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I agree. That is something that Otis was good about. 

https://www.nba.com/magic/jerseys/?CID=eml_enews&mi_u=57c49eab3236be756f4b3b67052e772288b6f9e9#city

What do you guys think about the new city shirts?

I personally not a big fan. The logo and number is too big. I like the number to be more in the middle of the jersey or if they want it on the side then smaller but above the Logo. 

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Yea but that’s so much easier said then done. What stars are lining up to play for the Magic right now? Of course we all want that. Would I rather have Kemba over Russ or Wright? Yes. For sure. But there’s probably like a 4% chance of us getting someone like that.

Maybe for once we could trade for someone like a Russell or Wright or anyone else whose younger and hasn’t lived up to expectations and then they break out for us. We need a break like that where someone exceeds expectations. That’s far more likely then Klay Thompson or Kemba Walker walking through the door. 

I’m just being realistic. A lot of times we act like players want to play here. Hell I remember a couple years ago there were people that said they wouldn’t want to sign Derozan on here. Like we would be lucky enough to have a player of that caliber even want to play here.

There’s a reason we couldn’t afford to let someone like AG walk. Yea he’s not great but on the off chance he ends up an all-star we can’t afford to have another Dipo situation. 

I don’t think we are a terrible free agent destination, we really aren’t. But with the super team era of the nba it’s harder than ever.  

This, so much this. We absolutely need to strike while another team is in flux. Going back to the Dwight days i have seen more posters on this site identify guys going to break out then the so called experts. I can't tell you how many times we have discussed unused players on other teams, who break out somewhere else. The phoenix situation years ago changed 3 different teams!!!! We are talking honest to goodness butterfly effect here. 

This team cannot be complacent, and we cannot let the Tobias and Oladipo trades effect the future.Those trades were bad the minute they were made and i'm still sure the power struggle between Martins, Hennigan and Skiles destroyed this team.We must act, somehow.

And folks, we are not the only ones, most of the league is just like the Magic. I'm sure a crazy but good offer in the last two years might have convinced  Charlotte to move on from Kemba. He is going to have a career year and get 190 million. They will not lose him now, not even sure if it's whats best for them.The point i'm making is the situation was ripe for another team to swoop in, it's too late now. There is a story like this every year, or a team that has a deep bench but needs a vet. 

We need to act, not next year...... this year. 

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Gotta trade for one. Every year one gets traded. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Every time a Star becomes available we say something like "can't trade for the star because he won't stay here because we have to gut the roster to get him. It's not the right time to make a win now move" or "that star is too old"

In the past yes but I don’t agree now at this point in time.

16 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Gotta trade for one. Every year one gets traded. 

The only way we’re trsding for a star is by trading probably Issac or Bamba which no one ever wants to do. But that’s what it would take and multiple picks. All for what could be a rental situation. Again I’m not against a move like that. I think we have to at some point as an organization take a calculated risk and hope it pays off. 

Im just sick of watching certain guys on this team. It’s just tiring at this point. 

I think we all just want some sort of change one way or the other.