magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

4 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

do you guys want more of a pass-first PG or a scorer at the position? Ideally both, but those don't grow on trees (or they get draft 1 pick before us). 

Shooting but ideally a mix of both. Unless they’re a world class passer like Ball. 

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Man, basketball players are absolutely the most terrible fighters. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a group of people that so consistently throw the worst punches in human history. 

What's so funny about what you said is that I didn't expect that particular assessment/critiquing of the fight. . .(hehe). It caught me off guard, so all I could do was laugh. I was like. . .huh?

Related image

17 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

And people keep saying they can’t shoot. 

Gordon improved his 3pt shot by 5% from the previous year. If he can improve 3-5% this year he’ll be around 37% mark which would be ideal and not unrealistic to expect that. 

Issac shot 35% from deep last year in an injury riddled spuratic playingtime rookie season. There’s no reason to think he can’t be around 37% as well this year. 

Bamba we don’t know but all the reports seem to be trending in the right direction.

Yea those guys aren’t gonna win 3pt contests but people keep saying they can’t shoot or there won’t be enough shooting ability when I don’t think that’s the case. 

I will say in a perfect world you’d like the PG and SG to be more consistently good shooters with Issac/AG/Bamba but I don’t think they necessarily have to be. 

I'd argue Gordon already make the improvement in ability. He hit 39% catch and shoot and 39% in wide open threes. He makes them at a rate that makes other teams defend him and close out hard. He checks the box you need checked from a forward. 

His gross shooting numbers are crap because he felt the need to take uncontested pull up transition threes. This is evident in his transition numbers which place him in the 24th percentile despite a skill set that would suggest transition as a strength. 

Assuming Gordon realizes this problem and fixes it, a year from now we'll see a bunch of stories about his improvement as a shooter unlocking the rest of his game when in reality he just stopped taking really dumb shots (you'd hope). 

11 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

do you guys want more of a pass-first PG or a scorer at the position? Ideally both, but those don't grow on trees (or they get draft 1 pick before us). 

Scorer, but ideally both like the guy that went to Atlanta

12 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

A PG like Kemba, Kyrie, Lillard, or Steph would be ideal.

12 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

I don't really care. 

If you get one who can defend (ball, exum, delon wright) you have Fournier who can supplement scoring. If you get one who can't defend but can score you have Ross who can supplement the defense. 

Just find some talent. 

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I don't really care. 

If you get one who can defend (ball, exum, delon wright) you have Fournier who can supplement scoring. If you get one who can't defend but can score you have Ross who can supplement the defense. 

Just find some talent. 

Eh. I don't want Fournier even attempting the notion he's the first option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tank Vogel said:

Payton is 1 year, 2.7M

Payton is from Louisiana and attended the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. He was a standout in college, so hopefully he will have a pretty good fan base. . .returning to his roots (no pun intended) with the shorter hair style he had when he was drafted. Maybe he will find some success with the Pelicans.

USATSI_5800446_221257_lowres.jpg

Edit:  "Louisiana-Lafayette's Elfrid Payton wasn't on USA Basketball's radar as recently as a few weeks ago when Ragin Cajuns coach Bob Marlin dialed Billy Donovan and urged him to consider inviting the 6-foot-3 rising junior to tryouts."

So this trade just worked in the machine: Who says no?

Magic receive: Loul Deng + Lonzo Ball

Lakers receive: K. Leonard + Terrance Ross

Spurs receive: N. Vucevic, B. Ingram, J. Hart

Get two contracts off our books (receive one back, but maybe he could be a mentor to Isaac). I've been pretty vocal about not liking Ball, but I think he has the most upside of anyone else that is available, plus put him with Isaac/Gordon/Bamba ... that's a pretty good nucleus. Pair him with Fournier...he'll have plenty of passing options. 

39 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

And people keep saying they can’t shoot. 

Gordon improved his 3pt shot by 5% from the previous year. If he can improve 3-5% this year he’ll be around 37% mark which would be ideal and not unrealistic to expect that. 

Issac shot 35% from deep last year in an injury riddled spuratic playingtime rookie season. There’s no reason to think he can’t be around 37% as well this year. 

Bamba we don’t know but all the reports seem to be trending in the right direction.

Yea those guys aren’t gonna win 3pt contests but people keep saying they can’t shoot or there won’t be enough shooting ability when I don’t think that’s the case. 

I will say in a perfect world you’d like the PG and SG to be more consistently good shooters with Issac/AG/Bamba but I don’t think they necessarily have to be. 

I agree and think they will be fine shooting but I think their fit can extend to all parts of an offense. Hope we have a good offensive coach who can implement an offense.  It will not come overnight but as their chemistry grows I think of firsst an inside/outside game but I am thinking of what a great pick and roll offense could be with Bamba and Isaac, lobs to all three of these guys.  But I really think exponential growth will occur if their (especially Isaac and Gordon) ball handling (drives to the basket) becomes a part of their arsenal.   I am looking forward to B.I.G. and watching them develop.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

So this trade just worked in the machine: Who says no?

Magic receive: Loul Deng + Lonzo Ball

Lakers receive: K. Leonard + Terrance Ross

Spurs receive: N. Vucevic, B. Ingram, J. Hart

Get two contracts off our books (receive one back, but maybe he could be a mentor to Isaac). I've been pretty vocal about not liking Ball, but I think he has the most upside of anyone else that is available, plus put him with Isaac/Gordon/Bamba ... that's a pretty good nucleus. Pair him with Fournier...he'll have plenty of passing options. 

No, we are giving up too much and not getting enough back. Deng's awful contract and a non-shooting threat PG, plus his father(!?!), for our two expiring contracts. I think Ball has potential, but taking back Deng for a couple of years and dealing with Lavar is a non-starter. We need more than that to facilitate this trade for LA/San Antonio.