Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

OFFICIAL GAMETHREAD!! Magic vs Heat - Season Opener

I mean it's only game 1

I agree but we aren't the Warriors. We haven't built anything resembling a winning culture in the last four years. We lost to a lottery team, badly. Biyombo wouldn't have made the difference. Maybe he contains Whiteside a bit but he's not scoring in double figures.

Rob has an eye for hidden talent and knows how to manage our cap money -- that's about it. Probably best as a assistant GM. And I was a huge Rob supporter.

I'm starting to believe that he's no good at maximizing our assets and being able to put a complimentary roster that works well together.

I mean, just looking at the heats trash roster makes me jealous at how they, at the very least, work well together. And they work hard and are aggressive. I don't understand why we couldn't have at least that going for us.

Or maybe Biyombo is that important and we will start winning when he's back.

I wish the problem was being down a player like Biyombo. Unfortunately its way deeper.

Whiteside, a guy who was playing at YMCA Charlotte 3yrs ago outscored our whole team except Forn.

Our guys are not big time scorers, and if you replaced Nik with Biyombo you might add for rim defense maybe.... but you will definitely lose on the offensive side. Nik is better at scoring.

It seems like we had a plan when we started this train with Vic and Tobias... and then somewhere we just threw that out the window. Right now i have no idea what we are doing.

When the league is turning into a spread and shoot league, Orlando goes for interior defense.... knowing that our scoring has been lacking for sometime.

Shoot, bring back Dwight please....

I agree but we aren't the Warriors. We haven't built anything resembling a winning culture in the last four years. We lost to a lottery team, badly. Biyombo wouldn't have made the difference. Maybe he contains Whiteside a bit but he's not scoring 10+ points.

I don't really think it's offense that was the problem. It was defense and ibaka inexplicably being our worst bigman tonight. Biyombo helps both of those things along with general energy.

It was an awful game, but it's over with it. It's obvious the team needs time to gel. Most of the Heat were on the team last year.

No doubt it's just one game.

I think I'm more upset at how we lost a very winnable game, especially when. every game counts if we want to make the playoffs this year. Getting practically blown out by the heat and allowing that many points in the paint shows we aren't where we need to be. Things like this are gonna haunt us near the end of the season when the race gets tight. We could very easily start off 0-3 or worse.

were more likely to be haunted by a 30 win season keeping us from making the playoffs. Face it Henny has spent the money and the talent just isnt on the roster. It makes no sense going cheap on a 30 year old kid to manage a half a billion dollar organization. 4 coaches, multiple losing seasons and a spent out roster with zero current all stars along with a blow out loss AT HOME to a poor club. Its pathetic...but it is still lightyears better than Otis.

I don't really think it's offense that was the problem. It was defense and ibaka inexplicably being our worst bigman tonight. Biyombo helps both of those things along with general energy.

Defense and more so paint was a huge problem. But offense is really are heal... we havent had a team that can consistently put points up since the Dwight-Nelson-Richardson-Lewis-JJ days...

I look at tonights game with a strong inpression that we are a 90pt team at its best. And we will need to play lock down defense to win the games we hope to win.

My takeaways from the the game:

1. Probably the biggest thing that stood out to me. Vuc and Ibaka are one in the same offensively. Other than Ibaka's ability to step beyond the 3 point line they take the exact same shots. Having both of them on the floor at the same time is redundant and an actual hindrance to how the offense runs. I hope to see them share the court less and eventually never again.

2. We severely lack an athletic wing player that can make something happen. We have zero shot creators and I see it as a huge problem! The Ibaka trade makes zero sense until Vuc is moved and a wing player is acquired.

3. Playing 8 players at this point of the season just seems weird. I know we are minus Biz but our starters logging 35+ and still getting stomped doesn't seem right for such a long season.

4. Mario needs more minutes and needs some plays drawn up for him. He still seems lost out there. It's the coaches responsibility to get these young guys comfortable. Draw something up and get this boy some confidence!

5. We suck and should tank for another year! Only halfway kidding ;)

but it is still lightyears better than Otis.

Not the early Otis years. If there is one thing Otis knew how to do, it was find the talent to build a cohesive team that works well together. Rashard and Dwight worked so good with each other. He brought in guys who also fit SVG's system like a glove, like Peitrus -- not to mention Gortat, Courtney Lee, Rafer Alston etc.

His issue is that he panicked when Dwight wanted out and completely destroyed the roster he built.

The Heat are clearly rebuilding. They won't play Bosh, and they owe picks to other teams after this season. OTOH we are actually trying to make the playoffs. I just can't compute that difference and why we lost tonight. In blowout fashion.

Whiteside. He was dominant on both ends. And we missed open shots. Interestingly, our interior defense gave up 74 points, 23 of which are second chance points. Gordon should have played more PF tonight with Ibaka at C.

The sooner we realize Vuc at C is our kryptonite, the sooner we can start winning again.