Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

Fournier looks great all preseason is top 5 in preseason scoring, sucks tonight.

Jeff green looks great all preseason, sucks tonight.

5 players shoot under 30%

Miami is known for this kind of home court advantage.

Wouldn't be surprising

They had an entire 6 month off season to enjoy nightlife or whatever else they wanted. There are a grand total of 7 (since one was cancelled due to storm) preseason games. The games don't count in the standings but have some value in terms of getting the team ready for the season. They have a new coach who the players are presumably trying to impress and build relationships with. Are you telling me the team doesn't care enough, and can't focus enough, to avoid staying out late (and potentially getting inebriated) on the nights before one of the few preseason games? That would actually be a much bigger concern to me than any aspect of their play.

These are highly paid professional basketball players we're talking about, not high schoolers.

These games are meaningless, I'm just glad basketball is back. My expectations are low.

The outcomes of the games are meaningless but the individual performances are not - especially for young players who don't have long track records that tell you who they will likely be when the season starts. I'm not saying it's 100% indicative but people are too quick to dismiss the concerning things as "just preseason" while at the same time being really encouraged by Ibaka's offense or Biyombo's defense.

The outcomes of the games are meaningless but the individual performances are not - especially for young players who don't have long track records that tell you who they will likely be when the season starts. I'm not saying it's 100% indicative but people are too quick to dismiss the concerning things as "just preseason" while at the same time being really encouraged by Ibaka's offense or Biyombo's defense.

I agree with this.

I've been patient with the rebuild but I am getting tired of the same old excuses for certain players. I'm pretty sure most of the guys playing for Miami last night were in a brand new system too -- didn't stop them from stomping us. So to me that's not an excuse for getting blown out. That might be an excuse for losing a close game if anything.

Preseason or not -- no excuse to get blown out like that by that team -- that's very concerning with regards to not only our teams mind set but their preparedness for their opponents.

I feel bad for Vogel because striking the balance between making the playoffs and developing players like Mario that are obviously not NBA ready is going to be hard to do.

Rob did the right thing by ridding of dipo, signing Fournier and grabbing ibaka and biyomobo. Now the job needs to be finished at PG and backup SG. I'd love to be wrong about Payton and Hezonja but I just don't see what they can offer our team with their skill set right now. Hezonja may not have to be moved but he at least needs time in the D League.

They had an entire 6 month off season to enjoy nightlife or whatever else they wanted. There are a grand total of 7 (since one was cancelled due to storm) preseason games. The games don't count in the standings but have some value in terms of getting the team ready for the season. They have a new coach who the players are presumably trying to impress and build relationships with. Are you telling me the team doesn't care enough, and can't focus enough, to avoid staying out late (and potentially getting inebriated) on the nights before one of the few preseason games? That would actually be a much bigger concern to me than any aspect of their play.

These are highly paid professional basketball players we're talking about, not high schoolers.

Yes. I'm yelling you that it's very likely that this happened. It happens all of the time. Just like you are a professional at something but might stay up too late doing something. I've had plenty of unproductive days at work after west coast magic games.

We have a 4 night stay in LA sometime during the season. I have the same fear for that stretch.

Yes. I'm yelling you that it's very likely that this happened. It happens all of the time. Just like you are a professional at something but might stay up too late doing something. I've had plenty of unproductive days at work after west coast magic games.

We have a 4 night stay in LA sometime during the season. I have the same fear for that stretch.

Wait, you are telling me these are young men that like to go out and have fun and are not basketball playing robots who concentrate on Basketball 24/7?

Has Vuc taken/hit any threes this preseason? Interested if that part of his game is being incorporated like was previously stated.

He hit one that I witnessed to close a quarter during one of the preseason games. I don't remember which one.

Based on the games, I believe that starting CJ Watson over Payton should be an option to consider sooner than later. Payton has really sucked in Pre-Season. He looks lazy. Nothing close to the guy we saw as a rookie. If we have any semblance of contending, these are the players than need heavy rotation:

SL

Biyombo

Ibaka

Gordon

Fournier

Watson

Reserves

Vuc

Green

Hezonja

Augustin

Payton

Meeks

I think this could be our 9-11 man rotation, with less and less reliance on Payton. Payton's effect on the preseason games have been super negative. But we need a winning spirit. CJ Watson looks to be our best PG based on how he has looked. He is at least reliable.

Trade Payton and Vuc/Hezonja to clear more space and we go after Paul George. Green's salary comes off the books after this year too.