Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

Except we didn't get value later for those picks. 25 we traded for a pick that might be 25 in three years, if we're lucky, or it might just as likely be two second-rounders. 35 we traded for almost certainly a worse pick in the future.

I have no problem with us not drafting 4 rookies. I have a problem with giving assets away for nothing, which is what we did.

Late first rounders are never given that much value, even in this draft. Why draft a guy you don't think will turn out to a guaranteed 3 year deal? A lot of people argue that an early second rounder is a lot more valuable than a first because it's not guaranteed. Again, your making a ridiculous argument about what we did late in the draft where players rarely have long term potential because you don't like what we did at #6.

Except we didn't get value later for those picks. 25 we traded for a pick that might be 25 in three years, if we're lucky, or it might just as likely be two second-rounders. 35 we traded for almost certainly a worse pick in the future.

I have no problem with us not drafting 4 rookies. I have a problem with giving assets away for nothing, which is what we did.

yup. Why not use them to trade up a few picks? why not use the second rounder to find a place to dump Watson so you can take his full salary off the books instead of leaving the 1 million guaranteed? why not flip the second rounder for a 2018 second rounder so you can at least have it as a usable piece in a short term trade or a usable piece to shape your roster.

Can you guys imagine being a Chicago fan? First, you trade Butler for a trash package. Then you draft Markkanen.

Their whole front office needs to be fired. their drafting has really fallen off since they lost Lloyd to us.

Oh I agree. I was referring more to Odin's post that mentioned Isaac likely wouldn't completely transform any individual facet of the team. My point being he might be able to defensively, at the very least in the short-term. I actually am not seeing why folks are concerned about his upside? It does seem extremely high to me considering his attributes, the growth spurt, and the skills he already does possess at his size. I was all aboard the DSJr train but ceiling wise it seems to me Isaac is right there with just about anyone else in this draft, he's just not a stud PG.

The thing about Isaac is he was a guard before his growth spurt. Watching him in the high school videos, he has guard like instincts. That video where he sets up his defender to break his ankles is pretty evident. I then saw some, not a lot due to role and option he was given, of that in the college videos.

Those instincts usually stay though. He knows how to his length on defense and to pull up on J's but those ball skills to create space is there.

Vogel just needs to groom this kid like he did with PG. One thing he can not do is recalibrate after a few games. Get him in here asap and get him to work and don't bury him on the bench. Let him get the reps in game.

He's a far better offensive prospect than Aaron Gordon coming out with more defensive potential due to his size and length.

I'm saying player to player, too. I see Isaac having a Paul George or Antetkounmpo like ceiling. His floor to me is Harkless. I think he was a swing for the fences pick and totally fits the history of our new management.

how though? how can you reasonably project him to be paul George or the single most unique player in the NBA? it's irresponsible to put that kind of expectation on a guy. Why stop at Giannis? why not call him LeBron in Durant's body?

This is no different than "Thon Maker is the next Garnett". how? why? just let a guy be a reasonable version of himself before we start throwing generational talent expectations around.

I actually think his floor is AK47. Not Harkless. Not at all.

His ceiling? Definitely George or KD lite.

I can't see this at all. KD dominated in college. KD is going to go down as one of the best players of all time. Why in the world would you compare him to KD. That would be like comparing John Collins to Tim Duncan. It's absurd.

George I can see, but only as an absolute stars align unexpected offensive jump in all areas, miracle type deal. Might as well expect Zach Collins to become Chris Bosh. Actually I think Collins has a way better chance of being Bosh than Isaac does of becoming George light.

yup. Why not use them to trade up a few picks? why not use the second rounder to find a place to dump Watson so you can take his full salary off the books instead of leaving the 1 million guaranteed? why not flip the second rounder for a 2018 second rounder so you can at least have it as a usable piece in a short term trade or a usable piece to shape your roster.

Teams don't just magically trade back because you want to trade up. If our terrible team doesn't want Watson why would someone else? I'm not sure why everyone believes you can shape your roster with second round draft picks. The majority of contender's benches are built through trades and free agency.

In most media outlets, what the Magic did last night is being heralded as good to great. A couple experts even put Jonathan Isaac as possibly even the best player in the draft. For what it's worth, when the media made fun of what the Magic did the last 5 years, they were correct.

The Magic picked up two multidimensional players who have a much higher wingspan compared to height. They also have potential to be good both offensively and defensively.

I think many of us here is underestimating what we picked up in Jonathan Isaac. In the same way this board wanted to avoid Porzingis and would have boo'ed that move if the Magic didn't pick Hezonja, I believe many of us here are pre-mature in already condemning what management did last night.

Vuc could actually function well in this lineup:

Vuc

Gordon

Isaac

Ross

Payton

I'd put Fournier coming off the bench. I believe that will yield the best outcomes. Let Payton and Gordon develop further. The way we were playing towards the end of the season definitely benefited Payton.

I can't see this at all. KD dominated in college. KD is going to go down as one of the best players of all time. Why in the world would you compare him to KD. That would be like comparing John Collins to Tim Duncan. It's absurd.

George I can see, but only as an absolute stars align unexpected offensive jump in all areas, miracle type deal. Might as well expect Zach Collins to become Chris Bosh. Actually I think Collins has a way better chance of being Bosh than Isaac does of becoming George light.

I didn't compare him. I said that could be his ceiling. I said KD LITE.

KD had a coach who gave him a totally different role. You just can't ignore that variable.

Can't say management's behavior at the end of the 1st round inspired any confidence, guess we're gunning for Luka Doncic next year.

I see Isaac's best case as Rashard Lewis with elite defense.