Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

I wouldn't even be surprised but no he's not rumored for anything.

Doc Rivers and Garrity are the only names attached to rumors.

if we sign Doc Rivers to be GM I might kill myself.

Garrity, sure, whatever. I'd dislike it but at least he's somewhat qualified.

Doc Rivers might be the worst GM in the league.

Just a reminder, here's some of Doc Rivers moves as GM:

June 26, 2014: Selected C.J. Wilcox (1st round, 28th pick) in the 2014 NBA Draft.

July 18, 2014: Signed Glen Davis.

August 26, 2014: Traded Jared Dudley and a 2017 1st round draft pick to the Milwaukee Bucks for Carlos Delfino, Miroslav Raduljica and a 2015 2nd round draft pick. (Milwaukee's acquired 2017 1st-round pick is protected.)

September 12, 2014: Signed Hedo Turkoglu.

January 14, 2015: Signed Dahntay Jones to a 10-day contract.

June 15, 2015: Traded Matt Barnes and Spencer Hawes to the Charlotte Hornets for Lance Stephenson.

July 9, 2015: Signed Wesley Johnson to a multi-year contract

July 10, 2015: Signed Paul Pierce to a multi-year contract

July 16, 2015: Signed Josh Smith to a multi-year contract

January 22, 2016: Traded Sergei Lishchuk and Josh Smith to the Houston Rockets for Maarty Leunen. (Clippers also send cash to Rockets to cover Smith's salary)

February 18, 2016: Traded Lance Stephenson and a 2019 1st round draft pick to the Memphis Grizzlies for Jeff Green. (1st-rd pick from LAC to MEM will convey 2 years after LAC sends pick to TOR and is lottery protected)

July 19, 2016: Signed Brandon Bass.

September 23, 2016: Signed Dorell Wright.

Its very likely that whatever team has Doc Rivers will pursue some of these players (because they were good back in 2010-2011).

Dwyane Wade

Monta Ellis

Kevin Martin

Zach Randolph

Pau Gasol.

if we sign Doc Rivers to be GM I might kill myself.

Garrity, sure, whatever. I'd dislike it but at least he's somewhat qualified.

Doc Rivers might be the worst GM in the league.

Just a reminder, here's some of Doc Rivers moves as GM:

June 26, 2014: Selected C.J. Wilcox (1st round, 28th pick) in the 2014 NBA Draft.

July 18, 2014: Signed Glen Davis.

August 26, 2014: Traded Jared Dudley and a 2017 1st round draft pick to the Milwaukee Bucks for Carlos Delfino, Miroslav Raduljica and a 2015 2nd round draft pick. (Milwaukee's acquired 2017 1st-round pick is protected.)

September 12, 2014: Signed Hedo Turkoglu.

January 14, 2015: Signed Dahntay Jones to a 10-day contract.

June 15, 2015: Traded Matt Barnes and Spencer Hawes to the Charlotte Hornets for Lance Stephenson.

July 9, 2015: Signed Wesley Johnson to a multi-year contract

July 10, 2015: Signed Paul Pierce to a multi-year contract

July 16, 2015: Signed Josh Smith to a multi-year contract

January 22, 2016: Traded Sergei Lishchuk and Josh Smith to the Houston Rockets for Maarty Leunen. (Clippers also send cash to Rockets to cover Smith's salary)

February 18, 2016: Traded Lance Stephenson and a 2019 1st round draft pick to the Memphis Grizzlies for Jeff Green. (1st-rd pick from LAC to MEM will convey 2 years after LAC sends pick to TOR and is lottery protected)

July 19, 2016: Signed Brandon Bass.

September 23, 2016: Signed Dorell Wright.

Its very likely that whatever team has Doc Rivers will pursue some of these players (because they were good back in 2010-2011).

Dwyane Wade

Monta Ellis

Kevin Martin

Zach Randolph

Pau Gasol.

Yeah potentially hiring Doc scares the **** out of me. If we do that, I'll stop following until there's change at the top.

Garrity? I mean, how's he any better?

Just reeks of the same nepotism, hire a puppet like move.

If they are making a change, which I bet everyone sees as basically inevitable at this point, I want them to interview as many guys as they can, looking for a guy that has a really strong plan on how to get the team contending again.

The hire should:

1. Have a strong concrete plan on the best path to relevancy

2. Have contingency plans for the inevitable shifts that will happen (AKA show that he is able to think of alternative solutions and have reasons why they should be successful)

3. Have good knowledge about the strengths and weaknesses of the current team

4. Have good negotiating skills for inevitable trades and contract negotiations

5. Have a good eye for talent in the league and the draft

6. Have a good understanding of the Cap

7. have good relationships with and respect from other GMs, agents, and players

8. have a strong backbone to be able to take criticism and stick to smart moves

Shouldn't be hard, right?

Minus any the above, the ability to hire the right people to complement his strengths and cover his weaknesses.

Basically I want a charismatic super computer as our new GM.

Yeah potentially hiring Doc scares the **** out of me. If we do that, I'll stop following until there's change at the top.

Garrity? I mean, how's he any better?

Just reeks of the same nepotism, hire a puppet like move.

I don't like the nepotism but at least Garrity was an executive with the players association and then went to Duke Business school then became a hedge fund manager then spent the last two years working in Detroit's front office.

Hiring him would be wrong based on principle because I can come up with several more qualified candidates and you gotta figure we're going to interview at least one of them.

But he's at least qualified. He's just not the most qualified. And it would show again that the Magic are more interested in hiring a name they know vs the most qualified candidate.

After running the lottery simulator many times, nothing good happens now that we are the fifth worst team. That slot must be cursed.

I am all aboard the win the lottery train.

I don't mind Garrity. He's qualified. Seems to have a good basketball mind. We could do worse and probably will.

It's the principle of it though

Wanna believe that ownership and Martins knows that we have to nail this next hire or the franchise is doomed. A huge NO to Doc. Wouldn't have minded Garrity (if he had those qualifications) back in our prior GM search, but can't get behind the idea of another inexperienced GM coming in to learn the ropes.

Wanna believe that ownership and Martins knows that we have to nail this next hire or the franchise is doomed. A huge NO to Doc. Wouldn't have minded Garrity (if he had those qualifications) back in our prior GM search, but can't get behind the idea of another inexperienced GM coming in to learn the ropes.

The thing is ownership knows how important this next hire is which is why they will easily pick a guy like Garrity or Doc. It's safe even if it's wrong.

It seems clear to me that we will end up with the #5 spot.

I see Fultz, Ball, Jackson gone in the first 3 picks.

Not sure what philadelphia wants to do. Maybe they will go with either Monk or Smith.

Our options are:

Smith

Monk

Fox

Tatum

Isaac

I think we should go whoever is left between Monk and Smith followed by Tatum.