Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

2017 Playoffs or Henny is Fired

This was a make or break season for Henny regardless of the Ibaka trade. 5 years on the job with no winning season is hard to survive regardless of the circumstances.

Superstars don't grow on trees man.

HHM, I get that you really love this trade. But I've seen very few people actually whining about losing Vic. Losing Vic for a 12/7 guy who has declined the last 2 years has people frustrated. It could work out, but ridiculing people who don't like the trade and pretending that Oladipo is a scrub makes no sense.

I can only speak for myself. I'm not upset about shipping out Vic, I'm upset about only getting (a shell of) Ibaka in return. Turn Ilyasova into Vucevic and we're all preordering Boogie shirzeys today.

Return on investment. We didn't get it.

You do realize there's more that goes into a players production then looking at their stat line? Ibaka essentially became a spot up shooter who played further away from the basket on both ends of the floor with Adams emerging as an animal down-low. His numbers dipped because of that. He wasn't happy in OKC and has said as much. He is going to feats in Orlando and I can't wait to see you guys hop on board when he does so. Look at Vogel's history with bigs.

HHM, I get that you really love this trade. But I've seen very few people actually whining about losing Vic. Losing Vic for a 12/7 guy who has declined the last 2 years has people frustrated. It could work out, but ridiculing people who don't like the trade and pretending that Oladipo is a scrub makes no sense.

Never said he was a scrub, but he's best suited as a 3rd or 4th option on a good team.

And yes, I'm going to ridicule people who cry on a forum because we had to give up a solid player to get a more solid player who fills a MUCH larger void. We have Fournier and Mario just sitting here ready to go at the 2. Now we have a legit front-court that very well might even get better.

You guys throw the 12/7 thing out there but aren't looking at the context of those numbers. Let me put it like this, if you think Ibaka is so on the decline--bet me money right now that he averages 12/7 or worse next year with us. Please. Please put your money where your mouth is.

7RDFd7vrISPu0.gif

Never said he was a scrub, but he's best suited as a 3rd or 4th option on a good team.

And yes, I'm going to ridicule people who cry on a forum because we had to give up a solid player to get a more solid player who fills a MUCH larger void. We have Fournier and Mario just sitting here ready to go at the 2. Now we have a legit front-court that very well might even get better.

You guys throw the 12/7 thing out there but aren't looking at the context of those numbers. Let me put it like this, if you think Ibaka is so on the decline--bet me money right now that he averages 12/7 or worse next year with us. Please. Please put your money where your mouth is.

7RDFd7vrISPu0.gif

I don't think Ibaka will put up 12/7 this year. I'm expecting more like 14/8. If I were a betting man, I would bet that he doesn't get the 16 ppg Oladipo would be all but guaranteed here. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. Maybe a change of scenery will turn him into an all-star. But most likely he's the 3rd or 4th best player on a really good team. If Ibaka is our best player next year, we'll be very lucky to make the playoffs, which is pretty much where we were with Dipo, except Dipo would much cheaper, younger, and guaranteed to re-sign.

You do realize there's more that goes into a players production then looking at their stat line? Ibaka essentially became a spot up shooter who played further away from the basket on both ends of the floor with Adams emerging as an animal down-low. His numbers dipped because of that. He wasn't happy in OKC and has said as much. He is going to feats in Orlando and I can't wait to see you guys hop on board when he does so. Look at Vogel's history with bigs.

That all depends on him. If he's telling the truth and starts attacking the basket this trade might work. If he still thinks he's Dorell Wright then we wasted assets to get a bum. None of us know that until the games start.

7RDFd7vrISPu0.gif

I am wondering why you seem to think Ibaka is so much better. He has pretty much been exactly what you have been slamming Oladipo for, an at best 3rd best player.

I really hope for the sake of the magic that he lives up to your expectations.

I am wondering why you seem to think Ibaka is so much better. He has pretty much been exactly what you have been slamming Oladipo for, an at best 3rd best player.

I really hope for the sake of the magic that he lives up to your expectations.

Being a 3rd best option is kind of irrelevant. We needed a player with Ibaka's skill set. We needed interior defense, we had abundance of wing players. Building a team isn't about collecting talent, it's about getting the right pieces. A big with defensive ability was a piece that was missing so we traded an extra piece on the wing to help balance out the roster. It's a risk no doubt, but most trades are. I liked Oladipo, but this is why I don't get too emotionally attached to players. Nobody is safe and Oladipo didn't flash enough to build a team around.

Love the confidence HeHateMe

But can anyone seriously disagree with Oladipo assessment? He's had the ball in his hands since day 1, the second most minutes on the TEAM as a rookie. He's had every opportunity to shine. He didn't win ROY in a below average class. He hasn't improved his shooting to respectable level. Yes he plays good D. Yes he can light it up occasionally. That screams 6th man. I hope he becomes like a Jamaal Crawford that would be his best case scenario. But do we think Crawford is a future player? No.

You can disagree about getting Ibaka back, but we still got the better player which makes this a good trade.

As to question, yea we have to make playoffs. East is weak. Must be done.

I agree, but this is a results driven league.

Only when you choose not to see anything but and ignore how you get there.

We've been flipping gm's and coaches for decades. Crap has to stop eventually. You gotta be at the right place at the right time a lot in life to get those results.

Being patient is what determines if that right time and right place even comes. Do you think if you fire Henny and hire another gm than bam, a superstar appears?

Ibaka being the "third best player" on a team including two top 20 players of all time is hardly an insult