Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

2017 Playoffs or Henny is Fired

in all honesty it would be dumping future picks to move enough contracts to build around ryan Anderson by overpaying Gerald Wallace and/or Goran Dragic.

or

in 2013 instead of cutting a bunch of players, trading their contracts which open up about 28 million which we could over pay for pre-injury Brandon Jennings, josh smith, al Jefferson, or OJ Mayo.

or

in 2014 instead of. actually, nevermind. there was nothing different we could have done. all the top free agents were restricted and remained with their team except for chandler parsons. we could have offered the same contract dallas offered Parsons but I don't know why he would have come here instead of gone there.

or

in 2015 we could have gone after Wes Matthews. that's about it.

This is all your best guess based on absolutely nothing.

(This is a repost from my introduction thread because it's more useful here)

I'm a huge fan of Henny and what he's been able to do with this team. I think he has done an incredible job with what he had when he took over the mess left behind him. Not just the Dwightmare but the horrible numerous contracts and players stuck on the books. I think Henny's bashers are a little harsh in there criticisms of where the team should be in it's stage of a rebuild. There are teams that haven't even looked close to having a championship team for the last 20 years but some people expect us to have one within 5-6 years. With the mess he had to deal with, taking 10 years to build a contender would be fine in my book, but that's only my opinion. I think Henny, and the team in general has been very unlucky with this rebuild. I think things were done great but we just had a lot of bad luck with the timing of our worst seasons and ping pong balls. In our worst season we got the number 2 pick in one of the worst drafts in the last decade, then we picked 4th when there were 3 standout players followed by picking 5th when there were 4. Minnesota managed to get number 1 in a great draft and pair that with Wiggins from a trade and they are set. Philly managed to get Simmons this season to mix with Okafor and Embiid. The Bucks got Parker and got lucky with Antetokounmpo and now have a great base going forward. We bottomed out and got Oladipo, then Gordon, Elfrid and Mario. That's not Henny's fault, he got the best players available from those picks, if we managed to get Towns and Wiggins from our worst seasons we'd be thinking Henny was God. We have built a very good foundation with the opportunities we've been given. The last few seasons we've taken the best available talent, and a focus on defence, athleticism and the ability to play multiple roles. We had a bit of a mix bag of talent at first and some overlapping talent in certain positions but it's just now Henny is moving that talent around and moulding it into a balanced roster. The Oladipo trade is the prime example, we had a backlog of players at the 2 with a dire need for toughness and defence inside, we got a great piece in Ibaka (if you look at it in a vacuum, maybe we gave up a lot, but players like Ibaka don't grow on trees and you need to give up a lot to get them), and if you wait to see what other moves we make this FA and even the next with all the cap space we have, I think you will see our team will have a great balanced roster.

Not to harp on it but it's not easy to build a contender, it's even harder to build one with what we had left in the wake of Otis. I'm not sure you could pick much worse to start off with than what the Magic had when Henny took over. Yeah we had Dwight, but he backed us into a corner and he had his list of teams he'd only go to, we were never going to get close to equal value. We got the best we could out of him but he was just the start of the issues, we had so many other bad contracts and not really any good pieces going forward. Look at teams like New Orleans, they got the number one pick in one of the best drafts in the last 20 years, they are still struggling to build a contender, we got Oladipo. Cleveland got Irving and if it wasn't for LeBron going back they would have Wiggins to go with him, we got Oladipo and Gordon. The Wizards got Wall and then Beal and another #3 pick in Otto and are still struggling to become a force, again we got Oladipo, Gordon and Mario. The Kings got Cousins and are still a shambles. This isn't NBA 2K, you can't just become great in 3 years, it's really hard building a contender from nothing. Like I said earlier, there are teams that haven't been in real contention for 20 years or more, why do we expect to be there so quickly and easily, are we that spoilt as fans because we were lucky enough to land Shaq and Penny then later Dwight? We got close both times but didn't get there, this time we started our build with Oladipo, Gordon and Mario. It's going to be a lot harder with that base but I think we are going great with all things considered, we still have 50 mil cap space as well. I'm positive for the future, I'm on the same page as the front office and looking forward to seeing our roster coming together.

Just to add to that in relation to this season. I agree that this season we need to make playoffs for Henny to keep his job, because fan and ownership expectations can become quite a pressure after 5 years in the job. Personally, I wouldn't care if we missed the playoffs if I saw enough through player development and team direction. That's assuming the roster stays as it is (which I don't expect it to) and we use the cap space next off-season to fill any holes and hopefully land a star in a better FA pool. If we make moves this off-season and use up the cap on someone like a Horford and or Batum/Conley/Barnes then I expect the team to make the playoffs because with a roster like that it would be a failure not to.

This is an excellent post.

Another thing, Skiles...He wasn't a Henny hire. That was Martin's.

Now, he hired a coach in Vogel, who was the best coach available. Vogel got his team to the playoffs and was instrumental in developing PG and helping Hibbert.

We also just hired Chad Forcier who was also on a playoff team as an assitant and helped Kawhi improve his game.

This is all your best guess based on absolutely nothing.

Of course it's my best guess. I'm not Bran Stark. I just looked at the free agent list and picked the best guys that left their team for another.

Of course it's my best guess. I'm not Bran Stark. I just looked at the free agent list and picked the best guys that left their team for another.

Are you not the God of Light?!!?!?

Personally, I wouldn't care if we missed the playoffs if I saw enough through player development and team direction.

This is the mindset that has taken over this fan base that I just am not on the same page with. We've become so enamored with youth, potential and development that it's insane. I understand why, when the team is horrible there isn't much else to look forward to. But the early stages of the rebuild is over, we as fans have every right to expect some sort of on court success instead of being told to be patient.

• Upvote 1

This is the mindset that has taken over this fan base that I just am not on the same page with. We've become so enamored with youth, potential and development that it's insane. I understand why, when the team is horrible there isn't much else to look forward to. But the early stages of the rebuild is over, we as fans have every right to expect some sort of on court success instead of being told to be patient.

I may be patient and not see the point in desperation signings or trades, however, I will say that playoffs is an absolute must this season.

It is Vogel's first year so some slack should be given but we should be fighting for the 8th seed at the very least.

Yep. Some people on here really would be fine with being Philly. Oh well, Rob knows it's time to win now and he's made moves that have showed his mind is set on doing just that.

I'm just glad I don't hear the term "young guns" on here every other post or "In Henny I trust". Dark times. Glad we've moved past that.

• Upvote 1

Yep. Some people on here really would be fine with being Philly. Oh well, Rob knows it's time to win now and he's made moves that have showed his mind is set on doing just that.

I'm just glad I don't hear the term "young guns" on here every other post or "In Henny I trust". Dark times. Glad we've moved past that.

I'd be fine being Philly

I'd be fine being Philly

Philly is still half a decade away from being anything, even with Simmons. If you would be fine being Philly, I feel sorry for you.

Hennigan needs to go now.

I understand that he inherited the Dwight Howard mess. However, Otis Smith also inherited the Tracy McGrady mess, and by this point in the rebuild, we were on our way to the Finals.

Hennigan has done absolutely nothing with this roster in the name of cap space. Now we have it, and there are names out there, and we've done nothing to even enter the conversation. So we have all this cap space. For what? Jody Meeks?

We trade away our top young developing talent for a role player in Serge Ibaka, putting him in a position to be our #1 when he's not a #1 player.

I am 100% done with Hennigan. Talk bad about Otis all you want, but he took the T-Mac situation and turned us into an NBA Finals team. Hennigan has taken the Dwight Howard situation and run us into the ground into irrelevance.

He needs to go. Not in 2017 when we inevitably miss the playoffs again. But yesterday. But since yesterday has passed, he needs to go now. I'm sick of this guy and his awful vision of a rebuild that has us spinning our wheels in the mud.