Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

My point exactly, We can trade our assets and then he leaves us anyway. Why not go out there and compete with what we have in the East and he may see how good we are with a much easier path to the finals

I'm not against that and I'm prepared for this to be our roster.

Just remember, teams aren't done. Boston will make a move. Philly will too. Teams aren't set yet.

So you trade for a chance to be a contender for one season?

You can sell a one season contending team. You aren't selling a repeating 35-40 team.

Again he is a top 5 player in the league. It is absolutely worth discussion. Hell I'm sure Rob has already had the same discussion. If the trade fits Robs overall plan he shoots his shot. If not he goes somewhere else.

Being who Westbrook is as a player no player is off limits in my opinion.

I really hope boston trade for Blake Griffin instaed. That will really open the doors for us on a signing on either Westbrook or chris Paul next season if needed.

I see Boston trying to work a deal to get both( Westbrook and Griffin) but I dont see it happening.

They will have more luck trading for a year rental on both chris Paul and Blake Griffin instead. They will likely loose all their assests.

You fail to see the perspective of him committing long term and that he will bolt no matter what. To answer your question, would I rather be a contender for one season and have a decent opportunity at a championship versus being mediocre 6-8th seed and the ceiling is a 4-5th seed out in the 2nd round for the next 10 years, then the answer is yes. If the idea is let's wait for free agency, you need to be attractive and this makes us attractive. If it doesn't work out oh well, we get free agents that make us an 8th seed and be where we are currently. Without a doubt, yes I make the deal.

Wasn't part of Ibaka being traded that he was having conflict with Durant/Westbrook? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but if that's the case I don't think the chances of Weatbrook staying are very good.

Wasn't part of Ibaka being traded that he was having conflict with Durant/Westbrook? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but if that's the case I don't think the chances of Weatbrook staying are very good.

I believe the conflict was specific to his role on the team and that Adams & Kanter were taking his playing time.

I don't think so. I think the problem was you had two 30%+ usage guys on the same team which limited touches for anyone else plus they had Waiters and kanter starting to take touches too.

so ibaka ended up being a decoy.

Again he is a top 5 player in the league. It is absolutely worth discussion. Hell I'm sure Rob has already had the same discussion. If the trade fits Robs overall plan he shoots his shot. If not he goes somewhere else.

Being who Westbrook is as a player no player is off limits in my opinion.

I understand all that but my whole point is that in order to trade for Westbrook we have to give up at least three players and at least two draft picks. That's giving up a ton for a top 5 player giving you about 100 games. If Westbrook had two-three years on his deal than absolutely. It's a huge gamble for us because like mentioned earlier, there are teams like San Antonio who he'll jump to if he has the opportunity. Miami will probably be another team who will look like at him to pair with Whiteside.

Let me ask you this, If we trade a combination of Vucevic/Hezonja/Gordon/Payton and draft picks for Westbrook are we better than the Cavs/Pacers after that?

The Thunder have Payne so they may not even want Payton. They may ask for Vucevic/Gordon/Hezonja and picks

A chance to be a contender? Based on what exactly? Most people agree that trading for a 1 year rental of Westbrook is likely not worth the risk, but let's not sip the kool aid too hard. There isn't a contender boiling here, if anything we may be looking at becoming the new Hawks of the East as best case with the current roster.

I understand all that but my whole point is that in order to trade for Westbrook we have to give up at least three players and at least two draft picks. That's giving up a ton for a top 5 player giving you about 100 games. If Westbrook had two-three years on his deal than absolutely. It's a huge gamble for us because like mentioned earlier, there are teams like San Antonio who he'll jump to if he has the opportunity. Miami will probably be another team who will look like at him to pair with Whiteside.

Let me ask you this, If we trade a combination of Vucevic/Hezonja/Gordon/Payton and draft picks for Westbrook are we better than the Cavs/Pacers after that?

The Thunder have Payne so they may not even want Payton. They may ask for Vucevic/Gordon/Hezonja and picks

Better than the Pacers & competitive with the Cavs.