Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Yeah I can see how people have lost interest in football. Call me a conspiracy theorists or whatever but it seems like the NFL is somewhat fixed a bit. I've called every superbowl since 2009 because during the season I can see how things are folding. I love football so much and it was always a dream of mine when I was in high school to be a problem. I played it for 14 years so the love of it will always be there.

Yeah I can see how people have lost interest in football. Call me a conspiracy theorists or whatever but it seems like the NFL is somewhat fixed a bit. I've called every superbowl since 2009 because during the season I can see how things are folding. I love football so much and it was always a dream of mine when I was in high school to be a problem. I played it for 14 years so the love of it will always be there.

It might also be because what it does to people physically and mentally. It isn't surprising we're seeing players retire at younger and younger ages.

Florida purist here:

Bucs, Noles, Magic

I live in the Bay Area so I grew up with the 49ers and Giants. There wasn't much basketball influence in my life though, so I didn't really have a built in following already like I did with football and baseball. And when I started really getting into basketball, I loved watching Shaq and later Penny, so that's what I ended up attaching myself to. Been with every up and down with this team since. My greatest Magic moment was still making the 9 hour drive from Nashville (when I lived there) down to Orlando solo to go to game 5 of the 2010 ECF against Boston. Ended up being the last game ever at the O-rena, but a great win combined with a very unexpected personal display of appreciation from the Orlando Magic organization made it probably the single greatest moment of my life as a sports fan, even to this day. And I was at the NFC Championship in Atlanta when the 49ers defeated the Falcons to get to the Super Bowl.

One of the lingering questions about the Magic’s long rebuild may never be answered with certainty: How much of the team’s struggles last season resulted from the cumulative toll of losing so many games in the three preceding seasons? In other words, did the repeated losing create a destructive momentum all its own?

The question may never be answered because it revolves around intangibles that cannot be measured or repeated.

The composition of the 2016-17 roster will look much different than last year’s roster.

Evan Fournier, Aaron Gordon, Mario Hezonja, Elfrid Payton, Nikola Vucevic and journeyman point guard C.J. Watson are the only holdovers.

They must develop some cohesion with newcomers D.J. Augustin, Bismack Biyombo, Jeff Green, Serge Ibaka, Jodie Meeks, C.J. Wilcox and rookie Stephen Zimmerman.

Ibaka and Biyombo now are part of the Magic’s long-term nucleus (assuming Ibaka remains with the team beyond the upcoming season, the final year of his current contract).

http://www.orlandose...729-column.html

Even though we'll probably have 4 of the same 5 starters as last year, I expect it will take some time for them to learn Vogel's system. Hopefully the team will start hitting their stride by December.

Even though we'll probably have 4 of the same 5 starters as last year, I expect it will take some time for them to learn Vogel's system. Hopefully the team will start hitting their stride by December.

I could see that being a concern but they brought in veterans who know how to win and closeout games. We have the talent to keep games close IMO and we have the personnel to switch up the lineup to finish games so the young guys can see how it's done. In close games at the end of the 4th QTR I'd like to see Biyombo, Ibaka, Green, Fournier, and Augustin finish it out

Oh I have absolutely no doubts that all of the losses have developed a culture of losing in Orlando. It's one of the many reasons why a strategy to "tank" is the most idiotic thing a sports franchise can do. "Tanking" should never be a purposeful, strategic tactic. The mentality to "tank" is another reason why I have 0 trust in Hennigan.

Oh I have absolutely no doubts that all of the losses have developed a culture of losing in Orlando. It's one of the many reasons why a strategy to "tank" is the most idiotic thing a sports franchise can do. "Tanking" should never be a purposeful, strategic tactic. The mentality to "tank" is another reason why I have 0 trust in Hennigan.

Its not really tanking when you suck. We didn't throw games, we just weren't good.

I so agree with this sentiment. tanking teams just build up a loser mentality that can never be overcome- they just get stuck in loserville. This is why teams like San Antonio, cleveland, golden state, okc, miami, and the clippers will never be any good- you cant tank and win.

Since when has Hennigan admitted to the mentality to "tank"? Are you implying that Hennigan should have traded for Bynum (now retired) and not hired an unproven coach (Vaughn). Which coach was interested in a team that had recently lost its diva star and is hampered with debilitating contracts?

I think Henjy had done incredible with the cards dealt to him, and, no, I don't think he instructed the team to lose in order to to tank.

I could see that being a concern but they brought in veterans who know how to win and closeout games. We have the talent to keep games close IMO and we have the personnel to switch up the lineup to finish games so the young guys can see how it's done. In close games at the end of the 4th QTR I'd like to see Biyombo, Ibaka, Green, Fournier, and Augustin finish it out

I don't get why I specific line up matters at the end.

I don't care who plays or closes games out as long as we win.

Hell I'd like to see

Watson

Wilcox

Hezonja

Zimmerman

Biyombo

Close out alot of games because that would mean we are blowing mother*****ers out.