Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

3. Jury is still out, but so far it isn't a bust (not really out of the woods, considering the guys picked behind him, though; he's still got to play up to that potential)

With the exception of maybe Jokic, Gordon is the best player in the 2014 draft and that pick was widely criticized at the time here.

With the exception of maybe Jokic, Gordon is the best player in the 2014 draft and that pick was widely criticized at the time here.

Um...Wiggins is better than Gordon at this point. I get that his defense and rebounding are not good, but he's a very good scorer who has a ton of potential.

and... Jokic... really? He does a lot of nice things, but... whoa, yea, his advanced stats are crazy good. hn... you learn something new every day

Wiggins is the obvious player to be the best out of that draft, but another ascending talent is Rodney Hood, he is really starting to develop into a good player in Utah.

The Spurs will try to attract soon-to-be free agent Mike Conley this summer, as Marc Stein of ESPN.com hears (Twitter link). San Antonio would have to clear salary to create enough room for a max offer worth an estimated $26MM for next season. Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace has pledged to re-sign the point guard, but Conley isn’t making any promises until he gets a sense of the direction the Memphis franchise will take in the offseason ahead.

Conley is expected to be the most sought-after point guard on the free agent market this summer, with the Knicks, Nets, Pacers and others believed to be interested. He has averaged 13.6 points and 5.6 assists in nine years with the Grizzlies and has a chance to more than double the $9,588,426 salary he earned this season.

Tony Parker, the Spurs’ current starting point guard, will turn 34 next week. He has two seasons and nearly $29.9MM left on his contract. Parker’s scoring average dipped to 11.9 points per game this season, the lowest since his rookie year, and his playing time fell to 27.5 minutes per night.

1. NBA rotation player is nothing to hang your hat on with a mid-first-rounder, just not a black mark.

2. Yep, debatable he's the best player in that draft. Good pick.

3. Jury is still out, but so far it isn't a bust (not really out of the woods, considering the guys picked behind him, though; he's still got to play up to that potential)

4. I really disagree that he has very good potential. I don't see even a maxed out potential Payton being any better than Jeff Teague or Mike Conley.

5. He's still a baby, but that potential has barely been hinted at on the court.

6. In 2012: Evan Fournier, Jared Sullinger, Festus Ezili, Jae Crowder, some guy named Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, Will Barton, Mike Scott (and yes, even in 2012 I would have picked all of those guys ahead of Nicholson; I really had issues with Nicholson watching him get torched in Richmond over and over by a guy who is no longer in the league); In 2013: probably nobody, but Giannis is a nice player; In 2014: Zach Levine, Rodney Hood, and Jordan Clarkson all have more potential than Elfrid (or at least as much), and all are better players currently; In 2015: too early to tell for sure, but Stanley Johnson, Justise Winslow, Myles Turner, and probably Devin Booker all look like better players right now, with similar potential for most (maybe not Johnson, but he's going to very likely be a valuable 3 and D guy for years).

7. Harris, he won, I guess. But only because Milwaukee couldn't hold onto J.J. Harris is nowhere near Redick's level of player yet, though, and we no longer have anything from that trade. Fournier was a good trade, but he probably should have just drafted him before, rather than giving up assets for him two years later.

8. Frye certainly didn't work out, yea.

9. He wasn't exactly playing well before he got hurt, but sure, why not. Still, so far it's a terrible pick up, because past injury concerns have remained a problem.

So many ridiculous statements, don't know where to start...

Um...Wiggins is better than Gordon at this point. I get that his defense and rebounding are not good, but he's a very good scorer who has a ton of potential.

No, he's not a very good scorer. He can't hit threes or mid-range shots. His one elite skill is getting free throws but he's incredibly average to downright bad at everything else. Also he gets no assists and is trash defensively.

Beyond adding a good coach, adding a vet like Horford now would help so much with chemistry and stability.

Only way we get good vets to sign with us at this point is if we trade for talent that veteran players want to play with and or get a well respected coach (Phil, Pop, not happening).

This has set us back I'm afraid but I remain optimistic. This was a blessing in disguise imo. The nepotism that plagues the higher ups is glaring and is publically coming out more. Hopefully they let Henny hire HIS guy this time and we can truly move upward.