Sign in to follow this  
The Neighborhood Bully

GAMETHREAD: TORONTO RAPTORS VS ORLANDO MAGIC

Yup there's an obvious talent deficiency between us and the upper echelon teams.

It's gonna be a fight for the 8th seed this year. It's gonna take off season work and trades for us to take the next step.

Before the season started most people would be thrilled with .500. There is also plenty of time left and young teams in a new system can always improve over the course of a long NBA season(plus we might not have the same players after the deadline). Like with the stock market, DON'T PANIC!

I'm not in a panic mode because I am enjoying watching games this year versus turning it off at halftime as was the case the last few seasons. I totally agree that we should be thrilled to be a .500 team, but our record in December lead me to believe that we are better than we really are. If you look at who we beat, it brings me back to reality. It's just frustrating to watch a game like this one, and see the multiple opportunities to win it, but not able to make it happen. Right now we are a .500 team at best, and hopefully you are right and I will be proven wrong by the end of the season.

• Upvote 1

I'm not in a panic mode because I am enjoying watching games this year versus turning it off at halftime as was the case the last few seasons. I totally agree that we should be thrilled to be a .500 team, but our record in December lead me to believe that we are better than we really are. If you look at who we beat, it brings me back to reality. It's just frustrating to watch a game like this one, and see the multiple opportunities to win it, but not able to make it happen. Right now we are a .500 team at best, and hopefully you are right and I will be proven wrong by the end of the season.

I agree with this post 100%

Even though we lost, this game re-ignited my hope for Oladipo

You know we're the second youngest team in the league right? It's not like we're going to keep everyone long term. People that are disappointed with this season so far are just spoiled.

To call any of our fans "spoiled" when the Magic have posted the worst overall record in the NBA over the past three years is off-target. Maybe a different term, like "famished" for example, would be a better fit.

To call any of our fans "spoiled" when the Magic have posted the worst overall record in the NBA over the past three years is off-target. Maybe a different term, like "famished" for example, would be a better fit.

Yeah, I don't agree with that notion either. We've been in the lottery for 3 years now. This year is about making the playoffs. If we don't, it's an failure.

Yeah, it looked like a tough beginning schedule before the season started. In reality, it was what easiest or second easiest in the league over that span? Skiles usually has his main success in year 2 and we are very young. I hate turning off games midway, and I haven't done it much lately(I consider myself a big fan, but I can't just sit and watch complete garbage every other day). My Jags were also a terrible 5-11 this season, but their games were at least watchable this season (or at least more watchable than the past several years). Their offense was actually very decent, but the D dropped to about worst in the league. I'm getting of topic, but it is just part of the rebuilding process. I've at least been entertained by my mediocre to average teams this season. I'm thankful for that considering the ineptitude of said teams the past few years (I'm also a Gator fan). I'm honestly just glad my teams are showing they have a shot at being competitive; it's been tough being a Gators/Magic/Jags fan lately.

Edit: I was gonna say Robinson got robbed for a pro bowl spot, but I guess he took Calvin Johnson's spot(which should have been Robinson's anyways)

Yeah, I don't agree with that notion either. We've been in the lottery for 3 years now. This year is about making the playoffs. If we don't, it's an failure.

Oooh three whole years. Our fanbase is so tortured.

Fwiw, recent success has put us tied for fourth worst over the last 3 years.

Oooh three whole years. Our fanbase is so tortured.

Fwiw, recent success has put us tied for fourth worst over the last 3 years.

Come on now. Don't over exaggerate things like I became a fan yesterday. Your better than that.

My comment was with the belief that we can still and should make the playoffs. I'm not alone on this either. Henny and Skiles both echoed the same sentiment with the same urgency so let's not act like I'm just an overreacting fan.

Come on now. Don't over exaggerate things like I became a fan yesterday. Your better than that.

My comment was the belief that we can still and should make the playoffs. I'm not alone on this either. Henny and Skiles both echoed the same sentiment with the same urgency so let's not act like I'm just an overreacting fan.

Ok ok. My fault.

Sometimes I just feel like we take short term positives or negatives and overreact like the rest of the season doesn't matter and what we have today will last forever.

We're a 40 win team. In most of the last 20 years 40 wins would have made the playoffs in the east. It's myopic to think that a 60% leap in productivity is worthless because we failed to reach some arbitrary goal that was more or less out of our hands.

Ok ok. My fault.

Sometimes I just feel like we take short term positives or negatives and overreact like the rest of the season doesn't matter and what we have today will last forever.

We're a 40 win team. In most of the last 20 years 40 wins would have made the playoffs in the east. It's myopic to think that a 60% leap in productivity is worthless because we failed to reach some arbitrary goal that was more or less out of our hands.

Worthless? No of course not. The goal was to make the playoffs though. If we don't it's an failure but that doesn't mean the season was worthless. There's nothing wrong with failing. It's not some scary word fans should be afraid of.

While we are still in the hunt, I'd like to see us make a move. We lack toughness.

I am so ready for a solid veteran that is on the downward side of his prime that contributes but ultimately teaches the 3-6 young guys on the team how and what to do. When we were losing it was easy to ignore because I simply didnt watch the games. Now we are winning but not enough. I just want our young guys to play to their maximum and im not patient enough to wait. I feel like if we had more of a dominant vet presence they all would be playing better.

I'm willing to overpay for a guy like Granett, Pierce, Dirk, Kobe, Bosh, Iggy, Deng, Randolph.

Old McGrady, Carter, Wallace.

I just want a guy with some passion and leadership. We have 0 leaders(as in a player that ultimately understands what a leader is and what a winning culture is) on this team.

We are ahead of or at least on schedule but I feel like we could be so much more if we weren't one of the youngest teams in the NBA. I really really hate it!