Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

The Official 2015-2016 Trade Thread

amazing move if true.

Amazing? Really? Haven't been able to watch much league ball. How's Ilyasova this year? Isn't Jennings a FA in July too?

thought process:

if we like payton-dipo-fournier-gordon-vucevic then you don't want another guy coming in to screw up that. Illyasova is basically what we want a 6th man harris to be (i.e. combo forward who is a much better shooter and has consistent presence. you know what you're going to get from him every game.)

and it gives us a chance to kick the tires on Jennings to see if he's worth signing long term.

basically. this is a move to improve the roster without taking minutes away from Hezonja and Gordon. So you could probably get a better player for Harris, but not one that fits into the rotation rather than forcing us to make a new one.

To me the issue with many of the players on the team isn't what trades can be made with them that make us a contender this year, it is what is their long term value to the club and is there a deal that provides greater value in the future.

Henny was pretty much forced to pay Harris more than he is worth. Will he put himself in the same position with Fournier. If he does, then that is essentially an admission that the Magic won't go the FA path to get a talent upgrade and it intends to compete for championships with this roster. I don't see it.

This roster has holes. As such, I'd rather see Fournier and Harris flipped for picks and younger players that will be under control, can be developed and won't destroy our cap situation. Think Afflalo trade. If Harris and Fournier are both still on this team next year I'll be surprised. If they are gone and we got little return, I'll be disappointed.

Seems more likely that the Pistons are leaking that to put pressure on NO in a Ryan Anderson trade.

wouldn't be shocked if it ended up being a three team thing.

yeah, but ask any boston fan/ national guy that pays attention to them and they say Crowder is much more important than Thomas. Thomas needs a whole lot of shots to get his numbers and is really really bad on defense. taller defensive guards can stop him (which is why he shot extremely poorly against Oladipo both games) and Fournier was able to go off on him (when Bradley was cross matched onto oladipo).

Point taken tho. Crowder is an excellent glue guy and Bradley is okay, but after that they don't really have much.

Good points. Jennings also loves Skiles so he's familiar with system and expectations. Thinking about it, didnt Skiles coach both players before? Definitely shores up the bench and allowing core to grow.

Is Jennings the right kind of PG to allow Elf to learn from?

thought process:

if we like payton-dipo-fournier-gordon-vucevic then you don't want another guy coming in to screw up that. Illyasova is basically what we want a 6th man harris to be (i.e. combo forward who is a much better shooter and has consistent presence. you know what you're going to get from him every game.)

and it gives us a chance to kick the tires on Jennings to see if he's worth signing long term.

I like the thought process, but I'd want a pick as well. Harris still has solid value, and I'm not that high on Illyasova - worse defender than Harris on the perimeter, so he's less versatile. Good thing about it is, he's a true stretch 4, something I don't really think we have (Frye can't defend 4's at all anymore, and he's nearly as bad as Vuc on the switch, though I like him as a stretch 5).