CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

I'd have no problem with that. He seems more explosive then Favors. No rookie is coming in next year and helping us win a title so I'm fine with a normal development type player. Free agency is when we'll make our team better.

Because why take Davis at 11 and take on extra salary when you can trade back and get a similar player. Or use that pick to get rid of Shabazz.

Because why take Davis at 11 and take on extra salary when you can trade back and get a similar player. Or use that pick to get rid of Shabazz.

Doesn't shadazz have a team option. No need to waste a pick.

You accept the team option a year in advance

So he is expiring with a small contact. Not worth the 11th pick.

Kind of a weak excuse. This isn't an NFL QB were talking about here. You can tell if a guy is a good NBA player regardless of the coaching situation, assuming he's getting the minutes. I've seen enough in two years of Payton to project what I see him as in the NBA. He could be marginally better with Vogel, but he isn't all the sudden going to improves his bottom 50 offensive PG ranks and become a top 10 guard.

As I've said before, you can't reason with Payton fanboys. Saying he has all the makings of a very good backup PG is somehow an insult to a guy drafted at 10 from a small school who was always going to be a developmental risk. The coaching excuse is indeed ridiculous, as Gordon certainly has had the same number of coaches, and was more raw to begin with, but most people agree he has shown that he should be a very good player with development. But most Payton fanboys can't admit just how bad he has been, anyway. They pretend he had some great rookie year and was derailed by Skiles, which is just patently untrue. The truth is his rookie year he showed some rare flashes of being a pest on defense and resembling an NBA player on offense. In his second year, he improved his %s, but only by being more timid and therefore showing less flashes of competence on offense; and he showed he has serious trouble playing within a defensive system and handling the PnR. He regressed from what was already a potential-only type of rookie season.

But come on! He's only 22! Plenty of great PGs looked like they didn't belong on an NBA court most of their second season, right? This guy's really close to an elite defensive player and he's already an elite passer! All he needs is a jumpshot and a new coach and everything will fall into place!

• Upvote 1

whether we keep 11 or not, the salary of the pick won't be an issue

But you don't know they'll be a similar player. Davis could end up being a really good player. If you take a guy at 11, you feel that he's going to end up being a better player then someone drafted at 21, that's the idea.

As I've said before, you can't reason with Payton fanboys. Saying he has all the makings of a very good backup PG is somehow an insult to a guy drafted at 10 from a small school who was always going to be a developmental risk. The coaching excuse is indeed ridiculous, as Gordon certainly has had the same number of coaches, and was more raw to begin with, but most people agree he has shown that he should be a very good player with development. But most Payton fanboys can't admit just how bad he has been, anyway. They pretend he had some great rookie year and was derailed by Skiles, which is just patently untrue. The truth is his rookie year he showed some rare flashes of being a pest on defense and resembling an NBA player on offense. In his second year, he improved his %s, but only by being more timid and therefore showing less flashes of competence on offense; and he showed he has serious trouble playing within a defensive system and handling the PnR. He regressed from what was already a potential-only type of rookie season.

But come on! He's only 22! Plenty of great PGs looked like they didn't belong on an NBA court most of their second season, right? This guy's really close to an elite defensive player and he's already an elite passer! All he needs is a jumpshot and a new coach and everything will fall into place!

haha couldn't have said it better myself.

It isn't giving up on Payton just because we bring in another PG. If he is as good as you guys say he is (which, he isn't), he can still develop in a bench role. If he improves his shot drastically (which he won't), he can still do so in a bench role.

Just because I don't think someone is good, doesn't mean I'm a basher. It's because I don't think they're very good. Payton has career backup written all over him. Which isn't the worse thing in the world, I think he'll be a solid backup. But you can't be that atrocious on the offensive end and be successful in today's NBA.

I'd rather start CJ Watson.

This bold part says EVERYTHING I need to know about your opinion on Payton. Thanks HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yano, Philly just might turn upward this year if they finalize the Noel/Teague trade and draft Simmons.

Teague/Simmons/Embiid if he can stay healthy/Okafor might be actually be worth watching next season.

This bold part says EVERYTHING I need to know about your opinion on Payton. Thanks HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Why it that funny? Yea i'd rather start someone next to Oladipo that can shoot. It makes Dipo better, makes AG better, makes everyone better. But hey i'm glad I could give you a good Saturday morning life. Payton will be lucky to have the career Watson has had.

I have no issues going on record saying a starting lineup with Payton/AG/Dipo will never be good enough in the half court to contend. Sue me.

• Upvote 1