CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

I don't get too excited when a 22 year old man puts up big numbers against 18 year old boys.

I get this. Deandre Kane averaged 17/7/6 on 50/40/70 shooting his senior year at Iowa State. Now he's in Israel. On the flip side of that Damian Lillard averaged 25/5/5 on 45/40/90 shooting his senior year in a far less competitive conference and he wound up being an absolute star.

I get this. Deandre Kane averaged 17/7/6 on 50/40/70 shooting his senior year at Iowa State. Now he's in Israel. On the flip side of that Damian Lillard averaged 25/5/5 on 45/40/90 shooting his senior year in a far less competitive conference and he wound up being an absolute star.

Yeah. I wouldn't avoid drafting him but I wouldn't draft him over some of the top prospects.

For every jimmer there's a Steph. For every Doug McDermott there's a bonzi welles.

I don't get too excited when a 22 year old man puts up big numbers against 18 year old boys.

The kind of thinking that allows guys like Draymond Green to fall to the second round

I still consider 22 year olds boys. Brain doesn't fully develop until around your mid 20's.

I still consider 22 year olds boys. Brain doesn't fully develop until around your mid 20's.

That may be true but it's not necessarily relevant. For decades the top tennis players in the world were all under 25, before equipment changes made the impact of split second reflexes less important. You'd be hard pressed currently to find a top female gymnast who's over 20 (the ones on our 2012 team were almost all 15 and 16 except for one old-timer who was 18). On the other hand, in golf, a 35 year old can easily compete at the highest levels. It really is sport specific as to when athletes hit their peak, and full brain development may or may not be a relevant factor depending on the sport.

That may be true but it's not necessarily relevant. For decades the top tennis players in the world were all under 25, before equipment changes made the impact of split second reflexes less important. You'd be hard pressed currently to find a top female gymnast who's over 20 (the ones on our 2012 team were almost all 15 and 16 except for one old-timer who was 18). On the other hand, in golf, a 35 year old can easily compete at the highest levels. It really is sport specific as to when athletes hit their peak, and full brain development may or may not be a relevant factor depending on the sport.

It wasn't really arguing the point.

Aside from usage rate, the rest of his numbers are pretty average for a shooting guard. One disappointing aspect is Hield is below average in terms of getting to the line. That's a bit of a concern to me when it comes to Hield creating his own offense at the NBA level.

Often we see that making contested shots in college means you can't get makeable shots at all in the NBA. (Adam Morrison is perhaps the quintessential example of this.) Hield's outside shooting ability means he'll be able to fill a role no matter what, but whether his shot creation translates will go a long way in determining his upside.

I've been thinking about Matthews as a good outcome for Hield. He's nearly a 39 percent career 3-point shooter, and has done so with terrific volume -- he's been in the league's top 10 in 3s each of the past six seasons. Matthews can also create his own shot at times and is a tough, physical defender.

As far as a less positive outcome, I'd go with one of SCHOENE's top comparisons: Marcus Thornton. Thornton was a 39 percent 3-point shooter at LSU who hasn't been quite as accurate in the NBA, shooting about 36 percent beyond the arc. As a result, Thornton is more of a volume scorer, and his defensive limitations have largely confined him to a reserve role.

http://insider.espn....er-fredette-nba

Hield is nice but I don't think he will be on the board when we pick.

kinda depends on where we pick. I think he'd be there at 9. don't think he'd be there at 13.