Sign in to follow this  
jec

Orlando Magic vs Boston Celtics - 11/29/15

I can honestly see Fournier sliding back to the bench and Dipo going back to the starting line up as well. I feel Skiles' intentions were to light a fire under his a** and get him out of that funk he was going through. I love the increase in minutes for Nicholson, I really enjoyed watching him play over the summer for Canada and it was very apparent that he's been working on his game. Skiles' line up rotations have been interesting and you can tell that it was definitely to confuse teams who thought they had a thorough scouting report on all the players who would see the floor.

I can honestly see Fournier sliding back to the bench and Dipo going back to the starting line up as well. I feel Skiles' intentions were to light a fire under his a** and get him out of that funk he was going through. I love the increase in minutes for Nicholson, I really enjoyed watching him play over the summer for Canada and it was very apparent that he's been working on his game. Skiles' line up rotations have been interesting and you can tell that it was definitely to confuse teams who thought they had a thorough scouting report on all the players who would see the floor.

The results in Dipo's play is not from "lighting" his butt, IMHO. The original lineup was fundamentally flawed with too many slashers and not enough consistent shooters. To add, Dipo-Fournier are both volume shooters. They along with Harris and Vuc were competing with FGA. The lineup changes allows Skiles to spread the FGA's between the players.

I also don't think the lineup changes were merely to trick other teams. This Magic team is really a lot more talented than what JV got out of it last year. I think we are starting to see now what this team is: multidimensional with multiple weapons. If "starter" quality players like Dipo and Nicholson can carry the load of the second unit, so be it. This is a team that can spread the wealth of an offensive game utilizing players that are good on both ends of the floor. If this team can win games with 4-5 guys in double figures, I say we embrace it. It is and will be part of our identity and what makes us dangerous to other teams.

Tobias has not been putting up monster numbers but he is quietly playing really, really well on the inside. Defense and rebounding has taken a huge stride this year. He's a factor down there on almost every possession.

Indeed! His defense and rebounding has been solid and FG% stellar to say the least. He's also becoming a player who goes after offensive rebounds and is feisty for loose balls. This is different from the SVG or JV schematic where players are encouraged to not go after OR's and get set up on defense immediately after a lost possession. The fact that Skiles seems to want our players to go after offensive rebounds is allowing for more second chance scoring, and it's making us look like a tougher and hustle team. I like it!

The results in Dipo's play is not from "lighting" his butt, IMHO. The original lineup was fundamentally flawed with too many slashers and not enough consistent shooters. To add, Dipo-Fournier are both volume shooters. They along with Harris and Vuc were competing with FGA. The lineup changes allows Skiles to spread the FGA's between the players.

I also don't think the lineup changes were merely to trick other teams. This Magic team is really a lot more talented than what JV got out of it last year. I think we are starting to see now what this team is: multidimensional with multiple weapons. If "starter" quality players like Dipo and Nicholson can carry the load of the second unit, so be it. This is a team that can spread the wealth of an offensive game utilizing players that are good on both ends of the floor. If this team can win games with 4-5 guys in double figures, I say we embrace it. It is and will be part of our identity and what makes us dangerous to other teams.

Yes it was flawed because no one was stretching the floor. Regardless of the lineups now the 4 is stretching the floor. It is why Nicholson is getting more minutes as he can hit threes. So regardless there is a stretch four in the lineup, also our centers can hit mid-range jumpers which further stretches the floor for our guards. Also if you notice, Dipo is still playing a lot with Payton. The major difference in the lineup isn't so much that Dipo isn't starting it is that we are putting a stretch four in both our starting lineup and our secondary. Dipo can and should start at 2 with Frye/Nicholson in lineup to stretch the flour as it fixes the fundamental issue of having no shooting in our lineups. Fournier on the bench with Watson, Nicholson, Gordon, and Smith would be really good as there would be very little drop off in scoring/defense with our lineups. I also think Fournier would be able to blitz secondaries more effectively as he is a more consistent shooter.

I'm all for keeping Dipo on the bench. These lineups are working and are giving us a well balanced attack.

I just hope Dipo is happy with it. He should be -- we are winning.

He hates coming off the bench. You can see this in his post game interviews both after the NY game and tonight. He's pissed and that's good, nothing like a bid chip on your shoulder.

This win was about good team defense and rebounding (especially on the offensive end). Nic played mean Tobias played great in every facet and Nicholson played with energy. We got a winning streak.

I don't give a **** if Oladipo is mad. Keep him as the 6th man

You should if you care about the future of this team. The potential of this squad stems from the potential of the Payton/Dipo backcourt. Dipo is our best two way player and arguably our most likely all star player. Him coming off the bench is working right now but once playoffs become an reality, and Fournier comes back to his level, Dipo starting will be necessary.

You should if you care about the future of this team. The potential of this squad stems from the potential of the Payton/Dipo backcourt. Dipo is our best two way player and arguably our most likely all star player. Him coming off the bench is working right now but once playoffs become an reality, and Fournier comes back to his level, Dipo starting will be necessary.

What is Fournier's level? It seems like you have a serious "I want to be right about Victor" bias that clouds your judgement.

Reality is that Fournier is a better shooter and finisher than Victor is. Yes Victor is a beast athlete and the team best defender, but his style of play almost screams 6th man, which is why he is doing so well at it right now. Fournier is a more refined player who can defend rather well or he would not be starting.

Fournier's level has always been high % shooting and solid defense. That is why he fits so well next to Elfrid and why the Magic are 3-0 since they made the change.

No one knows the future of this team in terms of personnel. This is a team built by asset collection, which means that long term some of these guys probably won't be here.

As for Victor and Elf, you can't start the worst finisher in the NBA next to the third worst. It's not a good idea.

Well, he'd played well over 2000 minutes before this year, so we basically knew what he is before the season started.

Yes, that is my point. People are acting like he is playing over his head. He was playing as he always plays, just logging a ton of minutes.