Sign in to follow this  
TheNameIsOrlando

Preseason Thread

Hopefully they are shopping Frye and trying to show his worth to the league. But the more they show him, the more the league sees that he still sucks. As to pulling all the starters at one time, I think it is quietly sending an early message to them that he wont put up with lack of effort and energy on defense. Otherwise why do it all at once? And yes more Mario please.

It's preseason. He's testing different line ups and testing out what third string guys could contribute.

Bottom line: Scrubs played 50% of the game today, which won't happen in a regular season game. Our starters played very well.

Yeah, he said he was sending a message, but if it wasn't preseason, I doubt that they would have stayed out the rest of the game.

You want Dedmon to start over Vucevic?

No. talking about preseason line up. Plus, Vuc is out with a shoulder injury.

From that article:

while veteran power forward Andrew Nicholson (23 points and eight rebounds in 21 minutes)

I know that, age-wise, it's kind of true but I've honestly never thought of Andrew as a veteran before, I mean he is still in his rookie deal.

From that article:

I know that, age-wise, it's kind of true but I've honestly never thought of Andrew as a veteran before, I mean he is still in his rookie deal.

he has been here longer than any other player.

Attending the game I was very encouraged by this team. Now it is just preseason so i didn't expect shots to drop yet or anything amazing to happen, but I was very impressed by the schemes. A few things that stuck out to me :

Usage of Smith and Nicholson. Skiles appears to prefer bigger front lines and played T12 at SF. He also knows how to use his bigs a lot more efficiently. For example when Smith was in, on one play the Magic forced multiple switches before sliding him out for an open midrange J. The switches made CHA's PG have to guard Nicholson who was under the rim for an easy rebound and putback. It was a very smart play and showcased how Skiles already knows creative ways to use his bigs Additionally. Nicholson looked incredible - mainly because instead of having him play a poor man's stretch 4, he was pump faking and getting into the post where he could utilize his rather impressive post moves. At one point he was doubled and faked both guys out for a very nice basket. Skiles decision to have Nicholson play the post again could relegate Frye to the end of the bench if AJ continues to be this efficient.

Highlights for me were Mario. Seeing this guy in person verifies that he has the purest looking shot I have ever seen from an Orlando player. It is picture perfect and he played with a lot of energy and enthusiasm. This guy has all the tools to be the go to guy for us in the future. Oladipo looked pretty much the same, he had 16 points and had to work hard for some of them. His effort on defense was a lot better though, but the scheme demands it. The Magic look much better on defense - more aggressive right at the to of the 3 point line. They are going to disrupt half court offenses early into the possession, and Elfrid Payton will be a big part of that.

Guys I liked - Elfrid - excellent D, Mario - Incredible talent, Tobias - looks leaner and faster, Jason Smith - great shooter and can ply both PF and C. Nicholson - continuing his stellar play from the summer.

Guys I didn't - most of our D leaguers. Nobody stuck out to me as someone who should be on the roster, but they did play with a ton of energy. Frye - he looks slow and I would not be surprised if Smith and Nicholson take his minutes.

Finally, I would pay no attention to the score. The Magic's starters had the lead the majority of the time until Skiles made a mass sub and pulled them all out for good in the 3rd. Charlotte kept most of their starters in the whole game and still barely won against guys we will either cut or put in the D League.

• Upvote 1

Attending the game I was very encouraged by this team. Now it is just preseason so i didn't expect shots to drop yet or anything amazing to happen, but I was very impressed by the schemes. A few things that stuck out to me :

Usage of Smith and Nicholson. Skiles appears to prefer bigger front lines and played T12 at SF. He also knows how to use his bigs a lot more efficiently. For example when Smith was in, on one play the Magic forced multiple switches before sliding him out for an open midrange J. The switches made CHA's PG have to guard Nicholson who was under the rim for an easy rebound and putback. It was a very smart play and showcased how Skiles already knows creative ways to use his bigs Additionally. Nicholson looked incredible - mainly because instead of having him play a poor man's stretch 4, he was pump faking and getting into the post where he could utilize his rather impressive post moves. At one point he was doubled and faked both guys out for a very nice basket. Skiles decision to have Nicholson play the post again could relegate Frye to the end of the bench if AJ continues to be this efficient.

Highlights for me were Mario. Seeing this guy in person verifies that he has the purest looking shot I have ever seen from an Orlando player. It is picture perfect and he played with a lot of energy and enthusiasm. This guy has all the tools to be the go to guy for us in the future. Oladipo looked pretty much the same, he had 16 points and had to work hard for some of them. His effort on defense was a lot better though, but the scheme demands it. The Magic look much better on defense - more aggressive right at the to of the 3 point line. They are going to disrupt half court offenses early into the possession, and Elfrid Payton will be a big part of that.

Guys I liked - Elfrid - excellent D, Mario - Incredible talent, Tobias - looks leaner and faster, Jason Smith - great shooter and can ply both PF and C. Nicholson - continuing his stellar play from the summer.

Guys I didn't - most of our D leaguers. Nobody stuck out to me as someone who should be on the roster, but they did play with a ton of energy. Frye - he looks slow and I would not be surprised if Smith and Nicholson take his minutes.

Finally, I would pay no attention to the score. The Magic's starters had the lead the majority of the time until Skiles made a mass sub and pulled them all out for good in the 3rd. Charlotte kept most of their starters in the whole game and still barely won against guys we will either cut or put in the D League.

in limited mins, appling looked ok... he played better than napier.

Highlights for me were Mario. Seeing this guy in person verifies that he has the purest looking shot I have ever seen from an Orlando player. It is picture perfect

Truer words have never been spoken

--

Tobias looked leaner from a vine I saw of him practising and it's nice because I'd like him to play SF way more than PF

Charlotte is seriously playing a back to back in the pre-season??? Wtf?

That's what I said to myself. Its the classic Orlando to Miami back to back. The same back 2 back scheduling the Magic use to benefit from when this team was competitive.