Sign in to follow this  
TheNameIsOrlando

Preseason Thread

Hard to believe that Shabazz Napier has looked worlds better than Payton in pre-season.

I dunno. Napier is much older than Payton and has a completely different personality.

Napier is ultra competitive and his game is built to go one on one.

Payton has looked like crap in every exhibition game he's ever played in. Like he's not going to show up unless it counts. He's content sitting back and letting the game come to him and doesn't really get a fire under him until the opposing point guard offends him by scoring a couple times. Then Payton gets pissed off and starts to pick off inbounds passes and plays full court defense and tries to outscore his opponent. There might be more rondo to Payton than we expected. Not a bad thing but I am afraid that Skiles will abandon Payton in favor of Napier or Watson in order to avoid that sluggishness.

It's also worth remembering that Payton has, like a lot of our starters, been in near constant foul trouble.

Also: he's playing against starters while Napier has looked really good against D-league talent.

I think even if he played 40mpg he'd still have a crappy line. Just like during summer league when he was playing against d-league guys.

I'm not worried about his talent or his production. But I feel like our concern should go from 0/10 to maybe 3/10 that Skiles might cause a point guard controversy. That is, not overly concerned now but something to remember if this continues indefinitely.

This. Seriously. 8 preseason games? Why?

Doesn't make any sense. And there's no rhyme or reason to how they coordinate the schedule. It should be a week or two of training camp, then a game, then 4 days or so before the next game. Then three days or so before the next game. Then two days. Then a game. Then one day. Then a game. Then four days before the season starts.

So let's say training camp begins September 23rd. First game around October 2nd. Second game around October 7th. Third game around October 11th. Fourth game around October 14th. Fifth game around October 16th. Season starts October 20th.

The back to back games are ridiculous. Especially so early in the pre-season. Instead of squeezing 9 games into three weeks spread things out to allow time for coaches to install their plays. More time for conditioning, less chance for injury. Season starts a week earlier so there's more time for games during the season and less back to backs.

Payton never plays well in preseason games. He needs real pressure to thrive. I like that. Not worried about him.

Harris at the 4 looked very good last night. Now some of that is because the Pacers play small. But Harris did some real nice work out there, and the Pacers have a guy named Paul George who is not easy to deal with.

Harris and Oladipo are shooting 64% from the field and 50% from 3. If they can draw more fouls, they are both going to be averaging close to 20ppg this season.

Really liked Fournier starting at the 3. It gives Mario a window to slide in there over time if the Magic find they play better small and he can tighten up on his defensive rotations.

The hope for me for Payton(and the abolishment of hashtags) is that he becomes at least Tony Parker good at scoring. We want the opponent to have to guard all our players when it comes to team offense. The obvious has been retorted about his shooting liability placing a hole in our offense.

Elfrid surely isn't taking the preseason too seriously however, this is a time to show improvement. I don't want Payton to become too CONTENT..with his role with the team and not drive propel himself through his individual motivation.