MAGICmanSAM

Welcome Home Coach Scott Skiles!

@daldridgetnt: Hearing Orlando assistant James Borrego, who was interim HC to end season, has decided to leave. Had been asked to stay by Scott Skiles.

I read that he went to the Spurs.

Is that a damn because you wanted to keep him or damn because you think the Spurs will train him up? Or both haha

I think he got a great gig. He already had Spurs ties so I'm happy for him.

The longer you can put you coached next to Pop with the Spurs on you're resume, the better. Easy move for him. Still a few years away from being a head coach either way.

Magic keeping Jay Hernadez and Laron Profit as assistant coaches for player development

Thoughts?

Link -- this also eliminates some options for future assistant hirings

I'm all for keeping whoever we can. Consistency for our young guys is jey in their development.

Magic keeping Jay Hernadez and Laron Profit as assistant coaches for player development

Thoughts?

Link -- this also eliminates some options for future assistant hirings

None of us have any real way to tell if they are good coaches so it's hard to have thoughts on it.

"He's a good basketball guy," Skiles said. "He's a hard worker. He's very loyal, trustworthy. And like everybody on my staff, I think he also could be a head coach and is going to be a head coach. I always think that's important, too. I want guys that want to be head coaches and think like head coaches.

"He's already interviewed for head-coaching jobs, and he's going to be a head coach. For my sake, I hope he's here for as long as I'm here. But for his sake, I'd like to see him get an opportunity."

"Monte's a grinder," Skiles said. "He's coached at all levels, and he just keeps moving up, moving up, moving up. So guys that are doing that, obviously they're doing something right. They're clearly doing something right."
Elie has worked as an assistant coach with the Mavericks, Sacramento Kings and New Jersey Nets.

"He was a winner as a player," Skiles said. "He's one of those guys, much like Griff, that was early, stayed late and were absolute, 100 percent professionals and unselfish players. I always knew he was going to be a good coach.

"Look at his career: He comes out of college in '85 and he doesn't even get into the NBA until 1990. He played everywhere. Those guys are valuable. It's an international game now."

Most recently, Henry has worked in the NBA Development League, winning Coach of the Year honors and the league title in 2013-14 as head coach of the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.

"I don't care what level you're at, to have the responsibility and to walk the sidelines as a head coach and manage the game and manage your team and form relationships with your players, it's a lot different than being an assistant," Skiles said. "He's done that. In a way, he's taking a step up to come to the NBA. But also in a way he's taking a step back by being kind of a behind-the-bench assistant."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-complete-coaching-staff-0627-20150626-story.html

Like it's been mentioned before, I don't see a coach that's more geared towards offense and I'm interested to see how that plays out for us. However, I am happy to see we have coaches with international experience; and with that experience, maybe some offensive philosophies from the international game, can be utilized with our players? I also like that we have a bunch of head-coach-quality assistants too.

Looking at that staff, I see how JB would've fit and been a benefit.