MAGICmanSAM

Welcome Home Coach Scott Skiles!

Skiles:

- we WILL improve defensively; no excuse not to with the players we have.

- doesn't know if we have that alpha male on the team but still getting to know the players. Since they're young, guys are still trying to find their own game.

- we're a young team and need to use that to our advantage but running more and being aggressive on D by getting up in guys' face

- said Elf is really working hard on his shooting daily and he's already improved. Shooting in the gym every day and his mechanics have changed. Will continue to work at it but not sure if we'll see benefits during summer league

Skiles:

- doesn't know if we have that alpha male on the team but still getting to know the players. Since they're young, guys are still trying to find their own game.

- we're a young team and need to use that to our advantage but running more and being aggressive on D by getting up in guys' face

- said Elf is really working hard on his shooting daily and he's already improved. Shooting in the gym every day and his mechanics have changed. Will continue to work at it but not sure if we'll see benefits during summer league

That's great to hear about Elf. If he just develops a respectable mid-range game he will be an all-star sooner than later. The bit about being a young team and using that to our advantage by running and getting in peoples face, that's music to my ears.

I agree that we don't have an alpha male yet.

Skiles:

Like it all but pointing out the 2nd comment, I like that he said this. I wonder if he's issuing an challenge? If so, I believe Dipo would be the one who rises to it.

I like the coaching hire of Griffin. Should do very well for us. Hopefully we can hold on to him for 2 years, at least.

Like it all but pointing out the 2nd comment, I like that he said this. I wonder if he's issuing an challenge? If so, I believe Dipo would be the one who rises to it.

I didn't take it as him challenging the guys. Sounded more like he knew we don't have any alpha males on the team but wasn't going to say that so he went with a PC answer. And to his credit, he really doesn't know the personalities of our players in that competitive environment so it was a safe answer.

Here is a link from ESPN about the Griffin hire. I don't know him...thoughts?

Supposedly highly regarded. Tied for 2nd among GMs who were asked for the best assistant coach in the league (1st was Gentry) and he's interviewed for 3 HC positions in the previous 2 offseasons. Also been described as a "player friendly Thibs" and was specifically credited by Jimmy Butler as a reason for his improvement. This is a home run hire as far as I'm concerned.

@daldridgetnt: Hearing Orlando assistant James Borrego, who was interim HC to end season, has decided to leave. Had been asked to stay by Scott Skiles.

Supposedly highly regarded. Tied for 2nd among GMs who were asked for the best assistant coach in the league (1st was Gentry) and he's interviewed for 3 HC positions in the previous 2 offseasons. Also been described as a "player friendly Thibs" and was specifically credited by Jimmy Butler as a reason for his improvement. This is a home run hire as far as I'm concerned.

Well that's good to hear. I think the development of the assistant staff is almost equally important to the head coach. Maybe not just as important, but I think teams who make deep runs in the playoffs have strong assistants as well. So I'm encouraged that he is highly regarded.

@daldridgetnt: Hearing Orlando assistant James Borrego, who was interim HC to end season, has decided to leave. Had been asked to stay by Scott Skiles.

I also really like this. Not that he is leaving but that Skiles asked him to stay.

#1 That was the classy move

#2 That is a smart move because of the continuity with the team. I hope that speaks to the players and they recognize that.

I'm really encouraged by everything that I have read and seen so far from Skiles and management. Under Henny's management, there hasn't been one move where I have looked back on it and said it was the wrong decision. Frye is about the only thing that I can maybe point to, but with last season just being a train wreck, I'll be interested to see if he has a bounce back year. The draft and filling out the assistants is huge. If that is done well, I'll be very very very excited for the future of this team.