Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

People should consider the possibility that Thibs actually doesn't want to coach here.

Again, with the logic.

Exactly. People get their minds set on Thibs and Brooks when both of them may have never been realistic options once we explored them.

"Oh but why didn't we just hire Skiles during the year than?"

Because obviously Rob would have had no way of knowing at that time who would be available or who would have interest in the job. There was no reason to just hire Skiles right away. You wait and see who is available and gauge the market. I think Skiles was always high on the board for us, but again, hiring him a week after we fired Vaughn would have accomplished nothing. The season was lost at that point anyways and I'm sure we wanted to see exactly what all was out there for us.

Now it appears we've come full circle and Skiles will be the next coach. Or maybe it is a "smokescreen" as some people want to claim, but I have serious doubts with all these reports there are no legs to anything.

Of course we should strive to be better than the norm. But that's not my point. My point is we shouldn't judge Skiles based on his average tenure length with other teams (which is already better than the norm!).

But the norm is not good. The norm in NBA is failure. They Skiles is marginally better than failure is not a point in his favor

But the norm is not good. The norm in NBA is failure. They Skiles is marginally better than failure is not a point in his favor

I'd argue he's better than marginally better than the NBA norm.

He has the same amount of Titles as Thibs and Brooks have combined for.

• Upvote 1

Missing my point again. All I'm saying is that length of tenure (which was brought up several times as an argument against Skiles) is not a valid measure for a successful coach.

Thibs has won nothing in 5 years with Chicago. Brooks has won nothing in 7 years with OKC. And of course you can spin this the other way around by pointing at coaches like Popovich and Jackson. It's just not a valid measure. That's all I'm saying.

FWIW Alvin Gentry has been the Head Coach of 4 teams (more than Skiles) has spent more than 3 years at only one of his 4 jobs (worse than Skiles) and has a career winning percentage of .474 (worse than Skiles) and he seemed like the consensus 3rd choice behind Thibs and Brooks.

• Upvote 1

Missing my point again. All I'm saying is that length of tenure (which was brought up several times as an argument against Skiles) is not a valid measure for a successful coach.

Thibs has won nothing in 5 years with Chicago. Brooks has won nothing in 7 years with OKC. And of course you can spin this the other way around by pointing at coaches like Popovich and Jackson. It's just not a valid measure. That's all I'm saying.

And this is why I do not understand why Magic is even interested in Thibodeau, he has won jack squat!

Of course we should strive to be better than the norm. But that's not my point. My point is we shouldn't judge Skiles based on his average tenure length with other teams (which is already better than the norm!).

That's what your not getting. It's not JUST the average 3 years. It's WHY.

Someone posted an informative post how it wasn't all on Skiles and all three franchises made moves that could be variables. However, Skiles is well known as having an temper. An variable as well that isn't going to produce sustainable success going forward. Being hard nosed is great and needed but not irrational reactions.

FWIW Alvin Gentry has been the Head Coach of 4 teams (more than Skiles) has spent more than 3 years at only one of his 4 jobs (worse than Skiles) and has a career winning percentage of .474 (worse than Skiles) and he seemed like the consensus 3rd choice behind Thibs and Brooks.

I'll just keep quoting your comments today since it's like your speaking from my mind.

But yea Gentry is a much better coach and if we get him we are going places and winning titles but if we get Skiles we are setting the franchise back and won't win anything and no one will want to play here and amway will go bankrupt and the Magic will leave the city and move to LA Las Vegas. All because we decided to hire Skiles :sadcrab:

I've never supported the idea of Gentry. I'm just 100% anti-Skiles, because I know his crap will get old fast and two years from now we're going to be talking about another coaching change. He might get a little extra juice out of this squad defensively at first, but it won't take long for the players to turn on him and we'll be an even bigger mess than before. Not to mention, we have issues offensively with this roster that he isn't going to help fix at all. It has the same underwhelming, obvious short term "answer" that the return of Brian Hill did.

I'll just keep quoting your comments today since it's like your speaking from my mind.

But yea Gentry is a much better coach and if we get him we are going places and winning titles but if we get Skiles we are setting the franchise back and won't win anything and no one will want to play here and amway will go bankrupt and the Magic will leave the city and move to LA Las Vegas. All because we decided to hire Skiles :sadcrab:/>/>

Please tell you me you are joking and if you are not, you are overreacting about going bankrupt and Magic will leave the city to Las Vegas, it will never happen so stop worrying about it

I've never supported the idea of Gentry. I'm just 100% anti-Skiles, because I know his crap will get old fast and two years from now we're going to be talking about another coaching change. He might get a little extra juice out of this squad defensively at first, but it won't take long for the players to turn on him and we'll be an even bigger mess than before. Not to mention, we have issues offensively with this roster that he isn't going to help fix at all. It has the same underwhelming, obvious short term "answer" that the return of Brian Hill did.

My opinion as well. I rather have MJax than Gentry.

• Upvote 1