Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

You bring this up but leave out how he also was ousted 2-3 years with every franchise he's ever been at as well.

And people keep bringing that up even though it's completely untrue and doesn't really mean anything.

Skiles was ousted in Phoenix well into his 3rd season and was ousted in Chicago/Milwaukee well into his 5th season with each team. That's hardly an average of 2-3 seasons. And even if it was it wouldn't mean anything as that seems to be the norm in the NBA.

NBA coaches last an average of 3.03 years on the job, with a median of 2.78.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/story/2012-02-29/managers-coaches-tenure/53376918/1

Granted, that article is from 2012 and it only looked at each team's last five coaches but I don't think the situation has changed that much. In 2008 the NY Times found similar results:

A coach in the N.B.A. has been cashing paychecks from his current employer for an average of 2.64 seasons. But that number is so skewed by Jerry Sloan's industry-defying 20 seasons in Utah that the median number is probably more telling: 1.3 seasons.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F02E1DC1039F933A15751C1A96E9C8B63

So, Skiles's average tenure length is really not that bad and is not telling anything. Not everyone can have a coaching career like Popovich, Jerry Sloan or Phil Jackson.

Another example: Larry Brown has been with 9 teams over his coaching career in the NBA. His average tenure length is 3 seasons. Would you consider him to be a bad coach just because of that?

To clarify: I'm not trying to promote Skiles here. I just agree that the criticism of Skiles is exaggerated. And "being ousted after 2-3 years with every franchise" is not a valid argument against him in my opinion.

and how about the other jobs he was fired from

You mean the Suns where he was doing great up until they traded one of the best point guards of all time for Stephon Marbury?

Or the Bulls where a team built around 3rd year Ben Gordon and Loul Deng, 32 year old Ben Wallace and Kirk Hinrich won a playoff series? Before he was fired a year later after 25 games even though Ben Wallace had a horrible season (first time he wasn't all defensive team in like 6 years) and Kirk Hinrich surprisingly didn't continue to average 16, 6 and 3 on 45/40/84 shooting?

• Upvote 1

You mean the Suns where he was doing great up until they traded one of the best point guards of all time for Stephon Marbury?

Or the Bulls where a team built around 3rd year Ben Gordon and Loul Deng, 32 year old Ben Wallace and Kirk Hinrich won a playoff series? Before he was fired a year later after 25 games even though Ben Wallace had a horrible season (first time he wasn't all defensive team in like 6 years) and Kirk Hinrich surprisingly didn't continue to average 16, 6 and 3 on 45/40/84 shooting?

How dare you use this kind of logic on here.

Report: Skiles would give Magic much-needed toughness

Some reports have Scott Skiles as the favorite to become the next head coach of the Orlando Magic. That would be the right hire, according to some who follow the team. From Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/3573/report-skiles-would-give-magic-much-needed-toughness

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/magic-basketblog/os-scott-skiles-orlando-magic-toughness-20150523-post.html

may have been posted already...

@debswim2010 @stevekylerNBA Steve if this is true about Skiles getting hired in Orlando, how do you think our players will respond to him?

@stevekylerNBA He was the primary name when Vaughn was fired. Not sure they are there yet on a final decision.

As for the players --- Scott is good the first 2 years he's with a team - but his style is grating. So we'll see.

What Skiles is as a coach is what the Magic need - tough, disciplined hard nosed, experienced.

I still think all of this is smokescreens

And people keep bringing that up even though it's completely untrue and doesn't really mean anything.

Skiles was ousted in Phoenix well into his 3rd season and was ousted in Chicago/Milwaukee well into his 5th season with each team. That's hardly an average of 2-3 seasons. And even if it was it wouldn't mean anything as that seems to be the norm in the NBA.

Granted, that article is from 2012 and it only looked at each team's last five coaches but I don't think the situation has changed that much. In 2008 the NY Times found similar results:

So, Skiles's average tenure length is really not that bad and is not telling anything. Not everyone can have a coaching career like Popovich, Jerry Sloan or Phil Jackson.

Another example: Larry Brown has been with 9 teams over his coaching career in the NBA. His average tenure length is 3 seasons. Would you consider him to be a bad coach just because of that?

To clarify: I'm not trying to promote Skiles here. I just agree that the criticism of Skiles is exaggerated. And "being ousted after 2-3 years with every franchise" is not a valid argument against him in my opinion.

So your ok with the norm?

Look, saying he's a terrible coach is an exaggerated statement. My points are not. His history shows what it shows. Like some others have said, all candidates have question marks. I'm just willing to talk about them than put the blinders on and ignore them.

I'm not completely against Skiles being our coach btw. I, as a long time fan, just have concerns.

So are they going to use the "welcome back Kotter" music they rolled out for Brian Hill for Skiles? Im not sure how I feel about the potential hire. It was the obvious move based on our organizations history of sometimes choosing the easy way out with hires and trying to use the past glory to rebuild fan support. Without a doubt Skiles will be lightyears better than the last two clowns. It is also a defensive hire by Henny in that it would be easier to out a less successful and less expensive hire like Skiles than Thibs if the team doesn't improve dramatically. Less fingers pointing the gms way. If Skiles is what it is we will get significantly better but Im still hoping for Thibs.

So your ok with the norm?

Look, saying he's a terrible coach is an exaggerated statement. My points are not. His history shows what it shows. Like some others have said, all candidates have question marks. I'm just willing to talk about them than put the blinders on and ignore them.

I'm not completely against Skiles being our coach btw. I, as a long time fan, just have concerns.

Of course we should strive to be better than the norm. But that's not my point. My point is we shouldn't judge Skiles based on his average tenure length with other teams (which is already better than the norm!).

The amount of crap people are coming up with to make Skiles not seem so bad of an option is making me nauseous. I'd rather go with another promising young coach than waste time with a retread looking for his FOURTH NBA coaching gig. Why is nobody else in the league looking at Scott Skiles? Because he sucks and his players hate him. Of all the names I hear he is literally by far the worst option, but of course the most likely hire. It's just not good times to be a Magic fan these days.

• Upvote 1