Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

I wanted McDermott, not that he played much better. I just don't like the look of Gordon, he's like the most unathletic athletic player I've seen. He looks very stiff out there to me. I don't know what we expected him to be, but I can't imagine anyone in the organization is happy with how his rookie season went, regardless of the injury.

I remember the way Payton looked during the first summer league game. No confidence whatsoever, very tentative when dealing with pressure etc. He grew big time throughout the year, you could tell he was supremely confident in many situations as the year went on. I saw no such growth from Gordon, he ended the year looking virtually identical to how he began the year. I could end up being wrong about him, obviously, but I just don't see how this guy turns into anything but an end of the bench energy player who plays okay defense from time to time.

You're talking about Ben Gordon................right? I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

If you're saying that about Aaron Gordon...I don't know if you're typing this from the fabric of space through some parallel invisible universe directly in front of me that I can't see.

I call him pacman, he seems to be able to only run in straight lines. He just has a goofy athleticism, very stiff sudden movements. I'm not saying he isn't athletic, he just doesn't look as fluid as you'd expect someone with his reputation to be.

I also don't think he's a very good basketball player.

Eskobar have you been smoking or snorting that stuff that PABLO Escobar used to sell my friend? LOL

• Upvote 1

I kinda see what Eskobar is saying, Gordon doesn't seem to move like a conventional super athletic guy, kinda looks like an awkward baby deer at times but I think that's just his running style. Similar to Shawn Marion's

With that said, I'm happy with the pick and Gordon's shot seems to be better than expected. He hits some corner 3s and his FTs have improved a lot even if the sample size is small

His defense is obviously very exciting

Payton took half a season to get comfortable and didn't really take off till later, after the all star break. Gordon was injured in November and eased into the lineup at around ten minutes a game until he got a few games of major minutes in April. He didn't improve because he didn't have time to improve. Next year will be the tell, but at the very least he's shown that he can be a defensive stud.

• Upvote 1

I call him pacman, he seems to be able to only run in straight lines. He just has a goofy athleticism, very stiff sudden movements. I'm not saying he isn't athletic, he just doesn't look as fluid as you'd expect someone with his reputation to be.

I also don't think he's a very good basketball player.

You literally just said, "he's the most unathletic player I've seen" two posts ago. You acknowledge you posted those very words right? You realize Gordon is the youngest player in the league, missed half of the middle of his rookie season (with his injury occurring at the very moment he was beginning to impact games), and had his minutes restricted upon return to help prevent re-injury, or did you miss all of that? Now I remember why I ignored you over a year ago.

Gordon is still at that point where he goes 100 mph at all times. When he gets the ball he needs to attack attack attack. When someone defends him at the top of the key he needs to use the dribble move he's been working on for no real practical benefit. When he catches the ball at the three point line he thinks "am I allowed to take this three? Have I taken one yet? Coach said I'm only allowed to take one or two a game, do I want to take this one here?"

The good news is he can do all of these things. He can dribble, post up, drive to the basket, shoot, rebound. His issues are entirely youth and inexperience. That's a good thing for us.

Two plays really made me optimistic. Gordon caught the ball in the left corner on the baseline and they team him off the three point line for whatever reason. He drove the baseline, used his strength to abuse his defender, and got right to the rim, fast enough to beat the help defense. The second pay was when they double teamed him, for whatever reason, on the post. He spun baseline and avoided the second defender as he got to the rim.

Those things are very difficult to do without turning the ball over or causing an offensive foul.

The playoffs start in a few hours and we aren't in them again this year. I cant take this next year. I miss the excitement of a 7 game series!

Yep. It would have been nice to be in Boston's shoes right now. Even if you get swept, you gain that experience. We are already full of a bunch of players with fragile mental toughness, I can't wait to watch them fall a part in their first playoff series. I mean, we blow it in the fourth quarter during meaningless games, that playoff pressure will have Oladipo throwing the ball into the 10th row.