Sign in to follow this  
chosen12

Bleacher Report:Thibodeau to Orlando or Denver

Disgruntled Lakers comments are not really evidence to me. I look back on his body of work in PHO and see a guy who introduced the modern offensive concepts that we now see everywhere in the NBA. I see Steve Kerr copying a lot of those concepts and winning games with a very undersized PF.

So yes I know all about Lakers players whining to the media about D'Antoni, and I also see a Lakers team that looks like hot garbage now under Scott and will probably whine about him too. They also whine about Kobe as well, and he is a first ballot HOFer, so you have to take some of this with a grain of salt.

The Magic's youth is in better shape to run his offense than what he had in LA.

Anyway, don't really see how Skiles can be looked at as a better coach. It makes no sense to me. Skiles didn't innovate anything, does all the stuff people worry Thibs will do, but doesnt really have the resume.

D'Antoni got a super raw deal in LA. It was a perfect storm of failure. No way he should have been hired for that job.

The reality is that Thibs is BY FAR the best candidate for the job. Anyone else is going to come with a ton of question marks. With the collection of athletes on this team, I think D'Antoni would craft a rather entertaining offense that could do some damage.

But to act like Skiles is on a higher level than D'Antoni..I just don't buy that at all.

I think for plan B the Magic may look at snagging a college coach like UVA's and add a veteran like Doug Collins (or retain Igor and JB) as assistants to help out as a backup option over those guys anyway.

If the Magic can get Thibs and Jimmy Butler is a player who is a fan of his, we may be able to get him. If we get lottery luck, we could maybe get Towns at PF.

Elf/Vic/Butler/Towns/Vuc with Thibs. Tell me that would not be freaking amazing.

One can dream.

Did you read the article? That's from a player...

Did you read the article? That's from a player...

Did you read what I posted, in particular paragraph 2? Or do you just want to argue over one thing incessantly?

Did you read what I posted, in particular paragraph 2? Or do you just want to argue over one thing incessantly?

Again did you read the article? Because paragraph 2 doesn't apply at all

• Upvote 1

We know D'Antoni innovated fast pace offense but he didn't do anything for defense. He sure as hell isn't a Gregg popovich who innovated both sides. At least with Skiles, you got a gritty defense. With the way his players never liked him, he had a bad way of applying and preaching his style of play. I don't see Thibs and Skiles on the same tier.

I do see D'Antoni on the same tier as both but with them on two different poles. One excellent on offense; the other on defense.

I'd take Thibs because of the defense. However, I'm not a fan of going 6 to 7 players deep.

I'm more of a fan of what Atlanta is doing. They're composed of many second or third options but work together as a team on both ends of the spectrum for success. They also motivate one another.

And...+1 to Thibs please.

We know D'Antoni innovated fast pace offense but he didn't do anything for defense. He sure as hell isn't a Gregg popovich who innovated both sides. At least with Skiles, you got a gritty defense. With the way his players never liked him, he had a bad way of applying and preaching his style of play. I don't see Thibs and Skiles on the same tier.

I do see D'Antoni on the same tier as both but with them on two different poles. One excellent on offense; the other on defense.

I'd take Thibs because of the defense. However, I'm not a fan of going 6 to 7 players deep.

I'm more of a fan of what Atlanta is doing. They're composed of many second or third options but work together as a team on both ends of the spectrum for success. They also motivate one another.

And...+1 to Thibs please.

Yes I agree with this. I also think coaches adjust and change things. Great example - SVG. He changed his offense for D12 and co when he came here and saw we had no PF.

Thibs is the prize here. I wonder if the Magic just go to the college ranks if they don't land him.

Catman, couldn't agree with you more throughout this thread.

Skiles is garbage. We have Brian Hill sitting up in the booth if we want to go that route. The difference between those two is essentially just age, in my opinion.

Magic should open up the bank for Thibs, and let's hope the Bulls bow out early in the playoffs (which I kind of doubt because Thibs will have them ready to go). Thibs is a top 5 NBA coach who gets the absolute best out of his team.

D'Antoni brings drama which has what we've seen from each of his big-city stops, but he has a great basketball mind. He doesn't get enough credit there.

Either way, no offense to The Borg, who I think will be a good coach one day (and has this team playing with more concept then JV already), but we need someone who will make an imprint and brings a true system.

• Upvote 2

I'm good with Borrego, but maybe that's just me. He's been placed in a pretty tough spot and the team has still improved dramatically. I want to see what he can do when he gets a full offseason to work with the guys and actually has his own staff assembled.

Thibs is a great coach, don't get me wrong, and I love the gritty mentality that his team brings night in and night out, but in today's game, you have to utilize bench depth, especially late in the season. That's pretty much the only caveat to hiring him.

D'Antoni? Lol pass. He'd be better as an assistant

I don't think [x] doesn't win rings be it three point shooting, seven seconds or less offense, etc.

Focusing on one side of the basketball while ignoring the other is what hurts championship aspirations.

Phoenix played fast and had an 8 man rotation. Guys will never be in shape to play defense in that system. You get a really deep team that can play fast offense as well as a swarming defense and that's a different story

When one says defense wins rings it usually means it's the key component not the only component. We're both are saying the same thing, just in a different way.

Bucher doesn't actually say Thibs is going to Denver or Orlando, he says that Denver and Orlando are the two teams with open spots right now, but that Thibs doesn't make sense for either team and that he will likely end up with a contender in a spot that isn't open yet.