Sign in to follow this  
~O~

GameThread: Charlotte Hornets @ Orlando Magic

I think Skiles is exactly what this team needs right now.

Game Notes:
  • I’m not sure how this team is going to keep it together playing the way they have been playing. Postgame Jacque Vaughn was quoted as saying “I’m going to find a group of five guys that want to fight.” Problem is if nobody wants to fight for you then you are not going to find those guys. This is a question that has to be asked with the answer Jacque Vaughn is giving right now. Is he the issue? A trip out West could give us a clearer answer.
  • The offense is a mess. The idea the Magic should continue to run pick and rolls to set up isolation plays is asinine. The Magic only managed 18 assists tonight but even more alarming the Magic only managed to accrue three secondary assists. This means the ball is not moving crisply at all. Coach Jacque Vaughn needs to add some wrinkles to his offense quickly.
  • The interior defense from the Magic is a huge concern. Outside of Dewayne DedmonOrlando interior players are struggling to deter players from attacking the rim at will.
  • Offensive rebounds are killing the Magic. Nikola Vucevic whether it comes from a breakdown defensively causing him to leave his man or his lack of boxing out has been getting abused in particular. He is supposed to be one of the best rebounders in the NBA, this cannot continue to happen.
http://orlandomagicd...-hornets-98-90/

I think Skiles is exactly what this team needs right now.

[/size]http://orlandomagicd...-hornets-98-90/

With his history with the team, why hasn't his name been thrown out there? He's a disciplinarian, which might be exactly what this team needs.

If anything, people would be excited to have him back and give him an opportunity to prove himself.

With his history with the team, why hasn't his name been thrown out there? He's a disciplinarian, which might be exactly what this team needs.

If anything, people would be excited to have him back and give him an opportunity to prove himself.

Apparently he doesn't like coaching young teams

Knock I read on Skiles is he very serious (not a knock imo) and his offensive schemes weren't effective which is weird because Monta Ellis had his best year I believe under Skiles.

Last night while watching the game, I heard Jeff Turner say that JV tells his squad to forget about going for the offensive rebound but instead haul tail to the other end to play defense.

Knock I read on Skiles is he very serious (not a knock imo) and his offensive schemes weren't effective which is weird because Monta Ellis had his best year I believe under Skiles.

Last night while watching the game, I heard Jeff Turner say that JV tells his squad to forget about going for the offensive rebound but instead haul tail to the other end to play defense.

That's the same philosophy we had under Stan. Analytics show that going for offensive rebounds gives minimal benefit and you leave yourself open to fast break points which are converted at a much higher rate.

That's the same philosophy we had under Stan. Analytics show that going for offensive rebounds gives minimal benefit and you leave yourself open to fast break points which are converted at a much higher rate.

Numbers also show, as a result we are dead last in offensive rebounds.

Maybe the philosophy works and I get the idea and logistics of it, but it sorta says to your best rebounder to give up. I don't know. Guess I'm old school. We didn't have analytics. We believed in following up your shot. It was an attitude thing too. We did not want the team to get the rebound. We didn't want them to have a shot on offense. Take a look at opposing teams who beat us. They out hustle us and one glaring stat is always the opposers offensive rebounds.

That philosophy works when you actually play defense and have a guy like Dwight anchoring the middle. Unfortunately we don't.

As stated, offensive rebounding is not important to the Magic, which is actually a sound strategy. The problem is that if you want to execute this stratgey well you need reliable and consisting shooting, ideally in a rhythm offense with crisp passing.

The Magic plays have started stalling into Isos, and there is not one go to Iso player on this team yet. Maybe Victor or Harris can be one, but the best one right now is Nik, and every team in the NBA now knows thats, so they funnel the play to him and double.

As stated, offensive rebounding is not important to the Magic, which is actually a sound strategy. The problem is that if you want to execute this stratgey well you need reliable and consisting shooting, ideally in a rhythm offense with crisp passing.

The Magic plays have started stalling into Isos, and there is not one go to Iso player on this team yet. Maybe Victor or Harris can be one, but the best one right now is Nik, and every team in the NBA now knows thats, so they funnel the play to him and double.

Yup

Stan had the same exact philosophy regarding offensive rebounding. However, it was easier for that squad to do that successfully because we had Dwight who could still get offensive rebounds on his own. But I'd say that is a minor knock if anything on Vaughn.