Sign in to follow this  
AddiFB

The Toronto Gamethread

Watching this team attempt to play defense is just painful. Actually all around the NBA so far in this young season all I've seen is lazy lazy defense.

Watered down league...

Actually our defense wasn't the problem. Guys, we held them to 39.8% FG shooting this game.

Our issues were turnovers, scoring, and FT%. Note the FT shooting discrepancy as well.

One day our defense will reign. We just need a reliable scorer to go with it.

Actually our defense wasn't the problem. Guys, we held them to 39.8% FG shooting this game.

Our issues were turnovers, scoring, and FT%. Note the FT shooting discrepancy as well.

One day our defense will reign. We just need a reliable scorer to go with it.

If your team is giving up 108 points and committing 37 fouls I would say defense has a part in the loss. The raptors missed a lot of open threes as the finished something like 4/22 from downtown as well.

If your team is giving up 108 points and committing 37 fouls I would say defense has a part in the loss.

Right, we gave up 48 free throw attempts (giving them 38 points) while holding them below 40% in FG's. That means our defense was rough (too rough) and we got called for it - which is expected of rookies - they'll learn. Innately, our defensive scheme isn't the problem.

The real problem is they had too many chances to score - they shot double the free throws (48 vs. 24), we had awful FT% of 50%, they grabbed more total and offensive rebounds (leading to second chance points) and we had double their turnovers (14 vs 7, leading to more points).

We also had trouble offensively - T. Harris was awful, proving yet again why were hesitant to pay him what he wants. Frye couldn't make them pay for leaving him open.

Are the ref's still serving "make-up calls"? I have yet to watch NBA solely because of this. I was hoping the new commish would put an end to this and superstar treatment by ref's.

There was quite a free throw descrepancy, Toranto shot twice as many as Orlando but alot of this was because Orando wasn't very agressive on defense to begin with. If you really wanted to see some BS officiating you should have seen Chicago vs the Cleveland Lebrons two nights ago. I thought Stern retired.

Right, we gave up 48 free throw attempts (giving them 38 points) while holding them below 40% in FG's. That means our defense was rough (too rough) and we got called for it - which is expected of rookies - they'll learn. Innately, our defensive scheme isn't the problem.

The real problem is they had too many chances to score - they shot double the free throws (48 vs. 24), we had awful FT% of 50%, they grabbed more total and offensive rebounds (leading to second chance points) and we had double their turnovers (14 vs 7, leading to more points).

We also had trouble offensively - T. Harris was awful, proving yet again why were hesitant to pay him what he wants. Frye couldn't make them pay for leaving him open.

All valid points. Harris has looked awful lately! He's doing a good job of getting to the rim but can't finish worth a damn. Looks like he's pressing, trying to prove he's worth the contract he was asking for instead of letting his game come to him. I expect he will eventually calm down and play better.

Vucevic is the guy. We're waiting for our other guy.

Victor. I think he's really ready to take that step, and he'll improve this team instantly by adding another ball handler/scorer, and injecting Fournier (who looked better than I expected) into the second unit.

As for the other guy i really like Vic too but I am on board the Payton train; I have always been toughest on points but this is easily our best guy since Penny.

But yes, this is Nik's team now-I am excited to see him grow into an offensive threat.