Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

Marc Gasol had 8 assists.

Vuc had 0 assists.

Since your post has +2, I'm assuming I'm not seeing something you guys are seeing.

Memphis runs an inside-out offense.

Orlando runs an outside-in offense.

Gasol is a very good passing big, and the Memphis offense is built to exploit that, which is why so many of their possessions start with Gasol having the ball at the top of elbow.

Memphis runs an inside-out offense.

Orlando runs an outside-in offense.

Gasol is a very good passing big, and the Memphis offense is built to exploit that, which is why so many of their possessions start with Gasol having the ball at the top of elbow.

So because Vuc isn't a "great passing big," we create an offense that give it to him in the post and everyone else stands around as he goes to work?

Vuc isn't an amazing passer, but he's much better than I think we give him credit for (he's aware and on-point when guys are open while he's in the post). If our offense had a similar wrinkle (off screens to open free when while he's in the post), I think you would see him reach 3-4 assists a game.

So because Vuc isn't a "great passing big," we create an offense that give it to him in the post and everyone else stands around as he goes to work?

Our team screens away from the ball all the time. We also run screens WITH Vuc that are designed to get him deep post position, so that he can catch, make one move, then shoot, in a space of about 2 seconds. You are literally asking why we only do one thing when the reality is we do lots of things. It's like asking a person wearing a red shirt why the only color they ever wear is green.

Vuc isn't an amazing passer, but he's much better than I think we give him credit for (he's aware and on-point when guys are open while he's in the post). If our offense had a similar wrinkle (off screens to open free when while he's in the post), I think you would see him reach 3-4 assists a game.

That'd be impressive since he's not nearly at Gasol's level, and Gasol only averages 3.7. Hell, the best passing low-post centers of the modern era I can think of off the top of my head were DRob, Hakeem and Tim Duncan. DRob only hit 4apg once(in the '93-'94 season, where he put up world-ender stats), and neither of the other two ever hit 4apg. Neither did Shaq. And those are some of the best low post passers EVER.

So yeah: you're arguing something that's patently ridiculous. You should maybe not do that.

In my name we space pray. Amen.

• Upvote 2

Here's the full list of players in the modern NBA(otherwise known as the 3pt era) that played Center full time and have put up more than 4 assists per game for a season:

Vlade Divac(3 times)

Brad Daugherty(twice)

Sam Lacey(twice)

Brad Miller(twice)

David Robinson

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Joakim Noah(also had a second season at exactly 4 per game)

So we're talking about something that only 7 centers have done in the last 35 years of NBA basketball. Suggesting that someone could easily hit that number is...baffling to say the least.

The Magic aren’t world beaters, but they are playing better and its without Harris. He is a very good player, but seemingly not the difference maker on this team. Should they trade this year instead of paying near max money for someone that does not make them appreciably better?

Also, who decided to let the reigns loose and let the kids run? Even in losses, at least they are entertaining.

Thanks.

• Steve Kyler
    Who decided… it started with Elfrid Payton… they were talking as a group, he made some comments that rang true and the guys decided he was right and opted to pick up full court (3/4 quarter court) and really push, at first the coaches tried to slow them down, but when they saw it was working they got on board. I think they would have had a real team revolt if they didn’t.

As for Tobias — I love that guy — but the ball sort of stops when he’s on the floor. We’ll see how it works when he comes back with the new tempo. I think it fits him better than walk it up.

We’ll see where Orlando goes with his money

It's pretty funny how Kyler can say absolutely nothing in that amount of words.

Kyler can echo exactly what I think and I would still discount it because kyler.

Kyler can echo exactly what I think and I would still discount it because kyler.

Sometimes I think he just reads the forum posts and reiterates the best theories that others come up with.

Wonder how he likes warm weather.

I told you yesterday about mutterings I have heard around the league that Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau has lost his locker room. The last night, Derrick Rose poured jet fuel on the fire with some of the strongest comments he has made as a professional, including “we are not on the same page.” Rose rarely if ever uses expletives, but he used them Monday night after the Bulls got crushed by the Cavs 108-94.

A source close to the Bulls tells SheridanHoops that eating the remaining money (roughly $11 million) and years (two after this season) on Thibodeau’s contract will not be a concern to management or ownership if they decide to fire him.

The feeling among some players in the locker room is that Thibodeau is simply too hardcore, too much of an oddball personality, and runs his best players into the ground both in practices and games.

Read more at http://www.sheridanh...zqkj7wvHxJAV.99

Wonder how he likes warm weather.

Hiring Thibs would at least solve our bench problem. Who needs a bench when Dipo, Vuc and Payton play 40 minutes a night?