Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

I will wait until the end of the season before I change my tune for sure. 2 games of good playing have been fun to watch, but it doesn't make up for all of those horrible losses prior to that.

If we end at 25 to 29 wins, JV should be fired. If JV can hit a 32 or 35 wins with the same type of play from the team, then maybe we should give it one more year.

But im waiting till the fat lady comes out.

What are you implying?

That we shouldn't be myopic in good times or bad times. We need to evaluate everything based on a large amount of data, not just two games.

Let your opinion of Vaughn change slowly. If we're doing well after 10 games like this then that's different

That we shouldn't be myopic in good times or bad times. We need to evaluate everything based on a large amount of data, not just two games.

Let your opinion of Vaughn change slowly. If we're doing well after 10 games like this then that's different

This is like the Stan Van Gundy scenario where everyone thought he was doing terribly with the team and has since starting with 5 wins in the first 30 has since only lost 2 in the past 13 or so, showing that it just took some time for the team to form an identity and gel.

If we regress, we will know this is an anomaly for his coaching. If we go 8-2 over 10 games, or even better than .500 for the rest of the season, I will be cautiously optimistic. But this is 2 games - we need to keep perspective.

the last two games have been fun to watch. i dont think it should have taken this long to go uptempo. von said it was because of early turnovers.

I've been watching the post game interviews and stuff looking for someone to say where this change of pace faster play directive has been coming from over these last games since basically teh portland game. I've been trying to see if someone at all indicates JV made any adjustments or had anything to do with it and I haven't really come across anything other than JV saying himself saying something like ' this has been the game plan all along'. I've heard different reporters asking basically "is this jacque? or are you guys just doing whatever"

Then good ol' channing frye the truth kicker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM1OPSg3QwQ

According to Kyler (I know...) Jacque has wanted the team to push the ball all season but initially Elfrid didn't feel confident he could do so without turning the ball over etc.

My @OrlandoMagic take: Henny & Vaughn get '15 offseason to make MAJOR splash in FA & make GREAT lotto pick. Then we see true capabilities.

Henny & Vaughn haven't been playing w/ a true NBA roster since the Howard trade. They got 4-year contracts for a reason. A 4-year rebuild.

Twitter

I'm not buying this whole "JV has been wanting to run but we couldn't because of Payton" bs at all. If JV wanted to run then we should have been running and allowing Elf to take his lumps and learn on the fly, especially if we we're convinced that was the way we needed to play. Assuming that means we must also assume that JV and management were content with pissing away the first half of an NBA season, which is hard for me to wrap my head around. I think the whole thing is rather convenient.

I'm not buying this whole "JV has been wanting to run but we couldn't because of Payton" bs at all. If JV wanted to run then we should have been running and allowing Elf to take his lumps and learn on the fly, especially if we we're convinced that was the way we needed to play. Assuming that means we must also assume that JV and management were content with pissing away the first half of an NBA season, which is hard for me to wrap my head around. I think the whole thing is rather convenient.

Agreed. I think I could buy that when Oladipo was injured. Payton was still feeling out the NBA game and you didn't want him compounding mistakes. Not 39 games into the season though.

Agreed. The fact is this TEAM turned the tides by doing what they wanted to do, rather than being dictated by Vaughn to play the half-court offense of the Spurs. Different players, different style.

Now my big question is: all the players seem to point towards the fact that they got "sick and tired" of losing and decided to change things up. Vaughn is on board now with what they maybe had preached behind closed doors for a number of weeks now. Does this mean that Vaughn is still the head guy and is still respected ("Told ya coach. Just believe in us and how we play and we've got this!") or is there a slow deterioration in the views of the team members of whether JV is really the guy to lead them to victory and questioning calls he makes in-game that go counter to what they "feel" is best for them?

Agreed. The fact is this TEAM turned the tides by doing what they wanted to do, rather than being dictated by Vaughn to play the half-court offense of the Spurs. Different players, different style.

Now my big question is: all the players seem to point towards the fact that they got "sick and tired" of losing and decided to change things up. Vaughn is on board now with what they maybe had preached behind closed doors for a number of weeks now. Does this mean that Vaughn is still the head guy and is still respected ("Told ya coach. Just believe in us and how we play and we've got this!") or is there a slow deterioration in the views of the team members of whether JV is really the guy to lead them to victory and questioning calls he makes in-game that go counter to what they "feel" is best for them?

I think you're reading too far into things. There isn't some mutiny or else you'd see other guys slow it up. Not to mention against Chicago Vaughn was yelling at Elfrid and Vic to keep pushing the ball every time they would slow up.

Thats not how basketball works. The amount of TO's you would have with a young team with no chemistry would be astounding in a fast break offense. The players would struggle and stop buying into the coach and the scheme.

Watch the offense now. The passes are crisp because the players know each other and they know where they will be on the floor. JV HAS wanted to run, he said it in the summer. It just doesn't happen overnight, no matter what you guys think.

• Upvote 2