Sign in to follow this  
Catalina Maria

Payton over Exum

Actually we took Gordon over Exum but I understand what you mean since Payton is our PG of the future.

I have to admit on draft night that I was floored when we passed on Exum but loved us taking Payton later. I think Payton will end up the best pure PG in the draft....Exum might end up very good in this league but I think his future is at SG much like Dipo for us.

Payton's ceiling isn't as high as exum but I think Payton's floor is much higher than exum.

Here's what you get with Payton right now

1. Open court ball pressure on defense

2. Enough size to discourage post ups and isolations off of pick and rolls.

3. Ability to probe the defense and make a pass.

This alone makes him a solid NBA player. He needs to improve his floater and his three point shot.

You give him a high percentage floater and 35% from 3 (enough for defenses to have to honor that shot) and he's a above average starting point guard.

I don't think he's ever going to be a superstar but if he improves he'll be a solid starting point guard that everyone will consider underrated in a league of flashy scorers.

• Upvote 4

Payton's ceiling isn't as high as exum but I think Payton's floor is much higher than exum.

Here's what you get with Payton right now

1. Open court ball pressure on defense

2. Enough size to discourage post ups and isolations off of pick and rolls.

3. Ability to probe the defense and make a pass.

This alone makes him a solid NBA player. He needs to improve his floater and his three point shot. And free throw shooting

You give him a high percentage floater and 35% from 3 (enough for defenses to have to honor that shot) and he's a above average starting point guard.

I don't think he's ever going to be a superstar but if he improves he'll be a solid starting point guard that everyone will consider underrated in a league of flashy scorers.

This

Totally agree.... also I love the fact it was a measured post! Been seeing to much "OMG HE SOOO **** WHY DID WE PICK <insert name here>" or "OMG LOOK HE'S A SUPERSTAR!!!11!1!1!1".

Totally agree.... also I love the fact it was a measured post! Been seeing to much "OMG HE SOOO **** WHY DID WE PICK <insert name here>" or "OMG LOOK HE'S A SUPERSTAR!!!11!1!1!1".

I think the excitement comes from the idea that we likely found a long term starting point guard

I think the excitement comes from the idea that we likely found a long term starting point guard

*with size.

Armstrong and Meer were both good PGs, but neither had the size. Payton does. He also has the quickness to matter on defense.

We'll see how good he is, but he has the tools in place to be pretty good, at least.

I think Elf can become an all-star PG, and be as good as Rondo. He has all the tools and also has a much better attitude.

He will not be a superstar because that usually entails a lot of scoring, but he will fill stat sheets and change games.

Gordon has superstar potential if his shooting develops. The guy got 15 and 9 last night and he doesn't even have his shot developed yet.

I think Elf can become an all-star PG, and be as good as Rondo. He has all the tools and also has a much better attitude.

He will not be a superstar because that usually entails a lot of scoring, but he will fill stat sheets and change games.

Gordon has superstar potential if his shooting develops. The guy got 15 and 9 last night and he doesn't even have his shot developed yet.

I agree Cat. I was all over Payton Pre-draft and I believe you were one of the only people on here that liked him as much as me. Gordon has all the potential in the world and I have to say, after seeing him in person last night he actually seems bigger than what I was expecting which was nice.

What's funny though is that if this thread would have been started before the draft, 95% of the members on here would have suffered minor strokes. Funny how things workout.

I agree Cat. I was all over Payton Pre-draft and I believe you were one of the only people on here that liked him as much as me. Gordon has all the potential in the world and I have to say, after seeing him in person last night he actually seems bigger than what I was expecting which was nice.

What's funny though is that if this thread would have been started before the draft, 95% of the members on here would have suffered minor strokes. Funny how things workout.

I wanted payton. I knew we would get exum, smart, or payton. so, I was happy when we got him. I was more surprised at us getting Gordon. My thinking was that gordon was harkless 2.0. We already have harkless and he is still developing. I dont see them both playing. I had nauh and randle slotted ahead of him.

Thinking back at the draft, I saw us going with the best pg and trading up for a pf. It is like we did that now. we got the best pg and pf combination in the eyes of our staff.

There were a lot of people on here that liked Payton. I think most just assumed we would probably go point guard if one of the big 3 didn't fall.

I wanted Exum. I expected us to take Exum. And at the same time, I expected Henny to do something we wouldn't see coming (didn't know what it would be).

In hindsight, I see the "trick up Henny's sleeve" was actually Gordon and Payton. No super crazy trades... I was really upset after draft day.

That being said, I love what was pulled off and wouldn't have it any other way. Payton is great so far, cant wait to see what this team can bring for years to come!