Sign in to follow this  
Catalina Maria

Thoughts on Magic offseason moves ...

Interview with Jacque

After getting a contract extension, I guess you are feeling very good about the job you've been doing as Orlando Magic's head coach.

Jacque Vaughn: People who are around me – our CEO, our ownership, our general manager – have a great relationship, and that extension just added trust to go forward with this group and keep improving.

Rob Hennigan was introduced as the Magic GM two years ago too. What is it like to work with him?

JV: Yeah, our relationship started back in our San Antonio days when I was a player and he was working in the front office there, so our connection started there. I think overall we have been on the same page on draft picks, people we brought into our locker room, so it's good to go to work and look over in the next office and see a guy that appreciates what you're doing and believes in what you're doing.

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com...h.VSJWjDv5.dpuf

I'll be disappointed if the record is about the same as last season. I'm expecting to see between 30 and 35 wins.

That seems about right.

I'll be disappointed if the record is about the same as last season. I'm expecting to see between 30 and 35 wins.

I could not agree more.........with the exception that the EC is gradually improving as well, and we need to step up/ accelerate the progress where ever possible. This should include the coaching staff as well. I respect JV and all that he has faced to this point, but with the extension that he just signed, I hope the training wheels have been removed and he is now free to WIN.....WIN...WIN!!!!

Every so often, ESPN comes out with their Future Power Rankings. They empanel a few of their writers to assess the team’s current state, but also its management, drafting and its future. This is where Magic fans should, if everything has gone right, see a bright future for the Magic. Entering the 2015 season though, the bright future for Orlando is not quite there. In fact, the ESPN panel has the Magic taking a few steps back after consecutive poor seasons. Orlando came in at No. 23, down from No. 20 the last time the ranking was issued.

Why did the Magic slip? Part of the reason is the Magic’s inexperienced management and coaching duo who are still guiding the team through rebuilding. Part of it is almost certainly the Magic’s inability to find a star player despite the second and the fourth pick the last two years. It still seems like Orlando is missing the central piece.From Kevin Pelton’s write-up on the Magic’s prospects:

Two years into the Magic’s post-Dwight Howard rebuild, it’s still difficult to see the finish line. Orlando’s 43 wins over the past two seasons are the league’s lowest total, yet a series of lottery picks have yet to yield a surefire star talent. Victor Oladipo, the 2013 No. 2 overall pick, is the Magic’s best bet. Orlando has now tripled down on athleticism and defense, adding Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton as 2014 lottery picks to Oladipo. Payton shined at the summer league hosted by the Magic, while Gordon disappointed.

It is hard to argue with any of that logic at this point. Orlando is turning the keys over to the young players they currently have to see what they have. But there still feels like that little push has to come to get the Magic back into the Playoff and then eventually championship discussion.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/espn_magics_future_dimmer/17247830

After three years and 5,000-plus minutes, league executives still feel as if they are only beginning to learn about Vooch. But true starting centers get paid, and if Vucevic gets to free agency next summer after another strong season, there’s an outside chance some team desperate for size will toss a max offer sheet at him. I mean, JaVale McGee is making $11 million for being tall and goofy. Vucevic can actually play.

The Magic can nip that process with an extension, but given Vucevic’s strong play, it may cost them $11 million or $12 million per season to do that. And that would be a bet — on Vucevic improving his defense and functioning on offense without much shooting around him.

Vucevic is a nimble post scorer for a behemoth. He’s quick sliding around the floor, and he’s strong enough to seal deep position against almost anyone. He shot about 46 percent on post-ups, per Synergy, with a bunch of crafty moves he can pull with either hand.

The Magic were a weak defensive team almost across the board, and Vucevic will improve as he grasps NBA speed and timing. But he’ll probably never be a major plus defender, and he needs to see the ball a lot in order to maximize his value on offense. The market will say he’s worth a near-max deal, but I wouldn’t be stoked to be the one paying it.

http://grantland.com...nikola-vucevic/

For a second there, I thought the mengars destroid the forums and we all were squirted on.....

It happened. Until Dan was alerted to the 36 hr server error

If you look back at the traffic history of the forum we probably will not notice any difference of the forum being down compared to the normal active that has been going on this offseason.

The Hawks (as I felt had a terrible fanbase) are probably going to be on the move. Why do I think they have a terrible fan base. When....3/4's of your crowd is Miami heat fans, there you go. I've also felt that the people who attend the games....well aren't the type of market the owners want to attract as they mention themselves. Atlanta has an abundance of high wealth "Brown Humans". Despite that, they don't rake in any extra over it. The Thrashers left and the Braves will be on the move in a couple of season.

What other...team has this vulnerability? The teams who have this vulnerability are obvious which thus will commence an era of change in ownership or city location, if not both. The breaking point shall arrive eventually.

At the end of a season where the Orlando Magic lost more than 50 games for the second year in a row, general manager Rob Hennigan emphasized the need to revamp the team with a roster which was neither too young nor too old. As it turns out, the edition of the Magic which begins training camp next week could be described as both. Of the seven players remaining from Jacque Vaughn's second season as head coach, just one is as old as 25. Add in three rookies, including two of the top 10 picks in the draft, and there's no denying an ongoing emphasis on youth. But all four free-agent acquisitions are either 31 or 33 and can provide a boost from 3-point range that their less experienced teammates more inclined to rely on their ability to finish around the rim ordinarily don't. The Magic ranked in the bottom third of the NBA in 3-pointers made, as well as almost every team statistical category, on their way to finishing with a 23-59 record. Perhaps the two most jarring numbers were their 0-39 record in games where they were outrebounded and a franchise-worst 4-37 mark away from home, including losses in all but one of their last 27 road games. The decision less than a month after the season ended to pick up the fourth-year options on Hennigan and Vaughn sent a message that the organization remains committed to both of them. Doc Rivers -- like Vaughn, a point guard in the league for more than 10 years with no prior head coaching experience until being hired by the Magic -- failed to survive a 1-10 start in the fall of 2003. It's crucial for a team pinning its hopes largely on the continued maturation of 22-year-old Victor Oladipo to avoid stumbling out of the gate in a similar fashion.

http://www.foxsports...n-primer-092514

The hawks aren't going anywhere, they have a large tv viewership. Atl fans are fair weather, but if they put a winning product on the floor then they will be near the top in draw....More so than Orlando, fwiw.